Will this power my comps fine?

Username: Btb925

Post Number: 5
Will the MTX Thunder4202 power my CDT 61-A components (130 RMS watts, impedance 4 ohms) fine?

Reason I ask this is because I can get the amp for 50 bucks which is a snag. Optimally, this is probably not the best amp to get the SQ out of my comps but would it be fine? I'd hate to pay good money for my comps to have their SQ restricted by my amp or would that not be an issue?

And if I really wanted to take full "noticeable in hearing" advantage from my components, what amp would you recommend instead?

The specs for the amp are

# Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
# 100 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
# 200 watts x 1 in bridged mode

Thank you guys.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8958
That amps does 85w x 2 at 4 ohms so it is drastically underpowering those speakers........ it can't hurt anything they just won't be as loud as they should be.

Post Number: 7
can underpowering speakers affect the sound quality though? Or will it simply be a case of 'I now have to turn the volume knob higher' ... I'm thinking it will have noticeable audible problems if I crank the volume high but assuming I keep it midrange or low ... will the sound be same quality if it was from say a 150w x 2 at 4ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8959
It will not change SQ it just will not be as loud.

Be very careful how high you turn that volume knob though, and make sure to set the gain correctly....... it is very easy to blow speakers by clipping (overdriving) the amp trying to get more power out of it than it can produce....... bottom line you really should get a more powerful amp.

Post Number: 8
Appreciate your needed help M.S.

Username: Blowthemup

Post Number: 1
what settings do i use to get most bass out of my amp? please help

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1714
You want to high pass them at 50-60 hz. bass is not the job of 6.5 comps

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12338
actually I'd set the crossover on the amp for CDT-61A comps to about 150Hz, with a 12dB/octave Q. 85 watts will be plenty of power per channel for those. The 130 watt rating on the speakers is just a thermal rating and not an indication of how much they really need to perform well. 85 watts will do great.

Let those comps roll off naturally at 12dB below 150Hz and use a sub at 60Hz, 18dB Q to roll up to meet them. don't set yoour high and low pass XOs at the same frequency. you'll get a warm spot there as they overlap severely, then the mids start to bottom out at higher output.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2281

quote:

what settings do i use to get most bass out of my amp? please help

he is not the original poster for this thread, so he might not mean bass for a comp set(subwoofer is likey what he meant). Idk for sure though...

George.. Make your own thread and give details for what you are asking and someone will help you. Good luck.

Username: Blowthemup

Post Number: 4
yeah, i meant it for subwoofers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us