How long can Ground Cable be?

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 496
Just installed on an Xterra, but not getting enough current from the ground cable. I grounded it to the seat belt bottom underneath the floor board but the paint on the metal is disrupting the current. Nothing seems to be close enough that I can find, so first question is

how long can the wire be from the amp to where the wire is grounded,

and also...

if anyone has an Xterra, where did you ground. THanks!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1671
3 feet or shorter.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 101
"the paint on the metal is disrupting the current"

Sand it off. You must have good metal to metal contact for any electrical conection, including grounds.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4625
ya sand that baby down. Just drill a hole somewhere in the back near the amp and throw a nut and your good.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4626
I ment a bolt lol

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1916
"Just drill a hole somewhere in the back near the amp and throw a nut and your good."

LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7048
What amp? (power?)
What gauge wire do you have?

Find a place in the floor that is free from any wires or other stuff underneath (like a gas tank). Use sandpaper or something to clean the paint away in 1" diameter circle. Crimp a ring terminal to your ground and shoot a self tapping screw through the ring. Lock it in place w/ a second self-tap. Make sure the screws get a good bite.

This will work fine, unless the body is not properly grounded...or you are running over ~1500w.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4639
lol ^^ explains it much better than me. Now what do u do if ur running more than 1500 lol jp

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7049
On a side note...here is something sad.

Other local shops around here use seat brackets for grounds. They just shoot a self-tapper into the bracket (not even the floor, just the bracket) and don't even worry about the paint. Its funny as hell. I have even seen them not even clean up the weather coating in the trunks of older cars. Just shoot a screw into the floor and call it 'grounded'...lol. Even the "bigger" shops here do it.

I fix engine noise all the time.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4640
rlly that sux i did that when i was 16 on my first install worked fine on 800 rms

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8949
" 3 feet or shorter. "

Epic fail. Ground wire can be as long as you need it to be. In fact the best possible ground is a wire run from the battery.

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 497
in my car, i could just take the side panel off and there were a few different screws for me to choose from. It was something i never even thought of until i tried to fire this bad boy up in the Xterra and nothing worked. I thought i messed up something else.

The problem really is that I am at college and this is my roomates car so we dont have any power drills or anything of the sort. So...sanding by hand is probably out of the question, and drilling a hole would be near impossible...

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8950
A drill costs what $30 at walmart, and it's an essential tool you will use again

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1592
kinda like M.S.'s Fleshlight^^

lol j/p

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 502
would it be ok if you just ran your ground off your amp straight to the negative on your battery

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1457
yessir

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10864
A ground to the chassis is only going to be able to carry what 4 ga wire carries. From the battery back to the amp like M.S. said with the proper wire gauge is best when you need more current flow.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8955
As I already said a ground to the battery is the best possible ground for big amps as long as you use heavy gauge wire.

And fleshlighs cost more than $30.......... umm, I mean or so I've heard

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1676
i heard your a fleshlight pro M.S.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2453

quote:

Epic fail. Ground wire can be as long as you need it to be.

ROFL M.S., I think Snow was using sarcasm in his posts...

quote:

A drill costs what $30 at walmart, and it's an essential tool you will use again

Kind of reminds me of that jigsaw that you didn't want to buy for $30 at wal-mart lol

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8957
I didn't have a walmart nearby hard as that is to believe...... cheapest one at the hardware store was $75 which I didn't have

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 3002
Fück walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14378
some situations u can help but have a long ground but shortest possible is rec ...

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 811
:-(

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1319
i have an xterra and i grounded my amp the the bolts on the rear seats. take the time and just sand a bit. it makes a big difference. or just run the groud to the battery like MS said
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us