Hearing loss

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 334
so I'm starting to become more and more conscious of my hearing loss. It's depressing every time I think about it. My friends give me a hard time because they always have 2 repeat stuff. I'm only 19 and worried by the time I'm 30 im going to need a hearing aid; Scary stuff. When I listen to music it doesn't seem to bother me with any pain or sign of hearing damage although somewhere in the back of my head I know its not good. My system seems to sound less and less louder. When I have friends in the car they complain about how loud it is even when I have the HU at 10. When I'm driving solo I cant help but crank it up the HU to 20 and let the sound consume everything.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has had sever sound hearing loss or any storys about it? Is it worth it to loose hearing?

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3008
It's not worth it to lose your hearing. Once it's gone, it's never coming back. What's your system?

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 335
Fi Q15 ported @ 32
4 Focal Access
ED 9.1
Fusion Fusion PPAM8004

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1663
pu*sy.

just playin.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1436
ya i find myself losing my hearing more and more but thats life

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1665
i agree.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1045
after my new set up by gf and people i have class with tell me i am losing my hearing. and i do have to make people say things over 2 times over the phone and at work.

with one 15 u can get damage but not as bad as u think.
everytime u get close to 140db ur losing hearing for good. u can loosing hearing from something as low as 80dB but it takes 9 hours of constand listening to do it.

but music has a beat not a constant loud sound... (depending on the song)
all of u people getting 140db be carful! don't keep it full blast.

those guys that have a 150 plus daily. its going to go real fast.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1667
you get your new amps in yet?

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1047
if ur talking to me yes i did

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1668
sweet. make some vids.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1587
huh? what did you say? I can't hear you, lol

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 336
Yea, I'm not so worried about the low frequency hurting my ears. I believe its the highs that do the most damage to hearing. After a long car trip listening to loud rock seems to be what is killing my ears. My left ear is a little worse than my right ear, and i have a feeling it may be from my driver side tweeter relatively closer than any other component in the car.

as long as no one on here needs a hearing aid bc of their system it makes me feel a little better.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4629
hearing's overrated who needs it just learn sign language

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 727
Im pretty sure lows do more damage you just dont notice as much. Think about the frequency ranges. Loud rock will damage the part of the ear that hears highs/mids(which is the range where people speak). straight bass damages the parts that hear low frequencies. there are very few things beside subwoofers that make those low of sounds so you dont really notice it as much.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10661
Fucc it, only live once.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 729
exactly, They make hearing aides for a reason... so you can destroy your hearing with bass, duhh.

And Im sure in the near future they will have microscopic hearing aides or perhaps even laser ear surgery.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3312
well if you're worried about hearing loss, don't ever drive with your windows down.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14371
at least 1 person on E is realizing what he is doing to himself ...

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1437
ya i listen to 140+ on a daily basis im screwed but so worth it

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7060
We just got some new tweets in at the shop that I KNOW will cause some hearing damage. I hooked a set up in the demo-room and they will make you think your ears are bleeding.

We are going to do pairs of them in for people that "think" they need 6-6x9's in the back deck of cars. (along w/ a pair of 6" mids)

The 'on the shelf price' is the same as 2 pair of pioneer 5ways. And they kill 3 pair :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_justin850

Justin smith, crestview, Fl Okalossa

Post Number: 25
man i know that i cant listen to a whole song at full tilt with my 18 it pure a_ss hurts and its only on 1k or so

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1438
i used to feel that way but eventually u get used to it

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7063
if 1 18" hurts you...you bout DIE in my truck.

Bronze Member
Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 48
the other day i throw my second mx in my backseat in a similier box to the one i have in my trunk(they both dont fit or cant get a 4 cube box to fit), and anyways i listened to it cranked for about 20 min straight and my ear poped and its not the same. when i pull down on my ear i hear a slight pop in my ear

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1607
Higher freqs are more damaging to your hearing. Especially as far as communication is concerned- most peoples voices aren't in the 30hz range lol.

I could listen to 150+db 30hz test tones no problem, but I was listening to Devil Driver with my subs out for a while and realized I needed to turn it down before my ears started ringing.

If it is hurting you- regardless of you being a pu5s or not, you should turn it down.

Username: Caraudioislikecrack

Post Number: 6
ben I have the same thing going on.My hearing started getting worse when I was like 15 cuz I used to so sit in cars that were competition level and didnt know any better .I have a nextel phone and when I talk to my one friend on the direct connect if people are around as soon as I say what they he is talking to me cuz people have to repeat what they say a lot.I always thought my system was getting less loud cuz I was used to it.which I think is part of it but i took a hearing test for a job and they said my hearing was getting worse.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10859
This is why I decided to go sq with my system. Control your systems loudness by only turning it up so loud. If it doesnt sound as balanced set your gains at a lower volume to counter it.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14374
some of u guys r facking up ur ears unknowingly & i really wonder about the ppl who know better & yet do it ...its a pity when u try having a normal conversation with some guys & u have to be repeating urself or speaking louder than normal

im with sean - sq for my daily listening pleasure ...

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22785
huh huh what did you say rovin? can you repeat that? lol

yeah you guys need to becareful. like sean, i went with a sq as well. balanced ftw.

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_justin850

Justin smith, crestview, Fl Okalossa

Post Number: 27
canaan i know that i would die but i still want a demo when the van is done

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 214
woa ben what up buddy. well i hope your system is going well! i wish i had time to focus on systems and stuff but school has been kickin my as.s. i'm just counting down the days til christmas when the hoe is finally gonna get lifted. then after that with a couple more batteries, some bigger wiring, and bigger alternator, i'll trash the crappy 15 and upgrade to two serious 15's.

you only live once. ;P

but yeah i know what you mean after i've been jammin out to some rock i feel a little deaf after getting out of the car. it usually comes back to me tho. i think you'll be fine. i doubt either of us are hitting 140db. but the extended periods of time is what you gotta worry about. which is why i usually turn my stuff down at lights and stuff. although 6 hours trips to san antonio and back at full blast don't help.

well anyways i probably won't check back here for a while. maybe see ya thanksgiving?

later
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us