Another which is louder??

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1539
ok so i have an atomic 3000d to work with (i think it does 3k rms @ 1ohm @ 13.8 volts) Im looking for pretty much spl but i dont want it to sound bad. maybe 80/20

I had a pair of sx's on 2k and was not happy with the output. it was loud but just not enough, i want insane!

so my question is, is there a single 18 i could run sealed that will get louder than on 3k than my pair of sx's ported on 2k.

also is there a single 15 i could run ported or possibly a pair sealed that will get louder than the sx's on 2k?

or should i just get new sx's and give then 1500 each.

i can do about 7.3 sealed before driver displacement. maybe 6 ported.

i already have 2 boxes made for a pair of 12's ones is ~5cubes net @ 32hz, and the other is ~4cubes net @ 34hz, i would like to use either one of these but dont mind having to build another one if i need to. I like the way the sx's sound more in the smaller box FYI and i do not want to sacrifice any low end that the sx's played so well.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1540
also considering a pair of audiopulse revo 12s if i can find them.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1441
i would do 2 12s in a bigger ported box maybe

maybe some loaded BL 12s

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2072
Hmm... maybe 2 15" ED SPv.2's? They only need ~3cf to work in (ED recommends 2.5-3.5cf).

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=363

*EDIT- Forget these, you need a 1 ohm load, these are only Dual 2.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14357
how about 2 12s DC level 4 ...

alot of ppl where im from r using that amp on dd9512\15 so im sure a 9518 will take it ...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1541
yea i wanted to do a bigger box but theres not enough air spring in the 5 cube box for my sx's and the woofers would bottom out even above the tuning.

Ive heard that the bl's wont be a s loud as the sx. cuz that was my origional choice.

no one thinks that 2 15's sealed on 3 k will get louder than my 2 sx 12 ported on 2k?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1442
why dont you do 2 12s ported on 3K?

12s ported on 3K will be louder than 15s sealed on 3K

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2074
What about some IA DP's?

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 275
BTL, 9500, Alpha's, HW, MT

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1542
do i have enough power and room for 2 DP 12's? ive heard there very hungry and like big boxes. magnet looks like the one from the nightshade, MASSIVE.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10642
2 DPs would be good off 3k. They are rated at 1500rms last time I checked so it should be a great match. Just cause they can handle more power doesn't mean you have to give them more power. Pretty hefty price tag on them.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22728
you want loud? get a btl or a dd9512. its loud.

the question still remains. are you man enough for a btl or a dd9512?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2075
Yes Yanks they are pretty pricey. I don't know much about them, but have heard that they get low and loud. Just something to look into.

What about an 18" Treo SSX? I think they only need 5-6cf ported?

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2653
Do you have the electrical upgrades to run 3k?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22735
lol gus. you and your electrical upgrades.

i am sure he does otherwise he wouldn't be looking for such a high power system.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2657
If he does why not give the SX 3K?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1543
chad i doubt a single btl or 9500 12 will be louder than my pair of sx's maybe an 18 but not a 12. but any ways i think i have it narrowed down

Ported allignments:
pair of 12" alphas
pair of 12" night shades
a single 18" btl
a pair of 05 xxx12's
a single 18 xxx any year
a pair of ia dp 12's
18" ssx
dd 9518
pair mtx 9500 12's
single mtx 9518

Sealed allignments:
pair of 15" q's
pair of 15" bl's
pair of 15" somthing else that will be loud.
a pair of 15's is the most cone area i can fit i think.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22740
just get 2 then and run 5000wrms. that will blow your brains out. man i missed the days when i had 2 btl 15s in my car.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1544
low life, i got the electrical on the way not installed yet but i got 2 stinger sp70s and my stock battery and a 200 amp alt. the 200 amp alt big 3 and stock battery are installed now and i will only run the amp off this for temporary at low gain untill the batts get installed.

i considered giving the sx's 3k but i am already nearly bottoming out the coils with 2k above the tuning. my subsonic is set @ ~30 hz and my box is tuned to 34 hz. but there bottoming out above tuning anyways tho.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22742
i used to have a re sx 18 on a orion 2500d. since the sub was dual 1ohm, it was seeing 1750wrms from the orion amp at 2ohms. it was too much power for it. so mark is doing the right thing imo by looking for subs that can handle more power.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1545
chad i dont have 5k rms or the electrical to support it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22743
you can do it. come on mark. a pair of orion 2500d and a couple of extra batteries and you'll be loud.

what size alt is it that is on its way?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1547
chad i already have the alt its only 200 amp tho and i think its overrated maybe really does 160-180 amp's, its the largest available for my vehicle w/o going into the $600 range.

My current electrical was just enough juice to power 2k watts, barely. im deff going to need at least the 2 batterys in the trunk to keep my voltage up w/ 3k now.

Plus chad price is an object for me, i am a college student. i cant just go buy 2 amps and 2 subs without selling my stuff or trading it first. anyways wouldnt an 18" btl get louder than a pair of 12's , more cone ares.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22748
what car do you have? the 18s can get louder due to cone area but usually sound like crap unless you have good size cabin in your car. so pretty much sedans are out of the question for running a 18.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1548
i have a chrysler 300m (dodge intrepid) huge cabin inside. is bigger better or worse? im guessing worse since you said sadans wont work.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22752
don't get me wrong mark. the 18 will be loud. but imo over all sound of bass isn't good when you have a 18 in the trunk. its just too big of a sub to be restricted to a trunk space.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1550
are you saying that the box would just take up too much trunk space not leafing much for the sub or the sub itself just needs more air because its an 18.

but either way i usually drive with my seats folded down because its not loud enough other wise. plus i think i might port my decklid over xmas break cuz im ditching rear stage ,i think ill just run some 6" aero ports through the decklid where the 6x9's used to be

but i still want other opinions. and sorry chad but i dont really want to upgrade in power anymore. 3200 watts is something like 4 horsepower lol and is gonna have to work.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2076
This makes it probably even harder to decide, as you have enough subs to filter through, but what about an AP Axis 15"? I think they only made them in Dual 2/Quad 1 ohm coils, so 1 would work. Did Jake Papa ever sell his?

Here's the link...http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357441

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2077
Or..I found these on ebay...MIGHT require a different amp tho... they are single 4 ohm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tc-sounds-audio-pulse-lms-12-subwoofer-re-dd-jl-new_W0QQitem Z110309413829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item110309413829& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tc-sounds-audio-pulse-lms-12-subwoofer-re-dd-jl-new_W0QQitem Z110309413956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item110309413956& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1551
yea donnie i though about that actually but didnt think i would get loud enough with a single 15. and i dont have the power for 2 12" axis's but i was really hoping i could find a pair of revo 12's for cheap but i doubt i will.

still cant decide waht i want at all really. i would really like to try a twin 15" sealed system but so far on one thinks it will get louder than 12's ported.

i dont under why not though. i thought porting only added 3 db but doubling cone area adds 6 db so it should roughly be louder by about 1 db without power changes?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5893
add two more 12"s or port two 15s :P

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1553
wow

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1555
how about a pair of Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite's? anyone use them?

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 494
go with the pair of orions lol i just got a 2500d and i am very impressed, it was benched at 3024 wrms at.035 i believe, just had it hooked up to my 1 12" Fosgate Power HX2 and blew the sh!t outta it

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2079
Chris- You already blew the HX2???!!!

Mark- Good luck finding 2 of those PG's, I mean it's not impossibly, but it's not that easy lol. Doubling cone area will only add 3db. Doubling cone area and power will add 6db (in theory). I think 1 15" Axis would be louder down low than the the SX's, but I have never heard an Axis in person.

Your just looking for something to get loud down low correct? Not on a mic or to compete, correct?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1556
donnie you are correct i dont give a sh1t about mic scores im all about the ears.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1558
ok so i think ive got it slightly narrowed down

18" ssx
18" xxx
dd 9518
18" btl (loaded probably)

or a pair of
alpha 12's
05 xxx 12's
night shade 12's
ia dp 12s
mtx9512's
Loaded bl 12's (probably what im going to get)

can anyone just go ahead and say that one of these is going to be not gonna be loud comparably. i need some help here.

anyone know of loud 15's that will run in 2.5 cubes ported? i think thats going to be my best bet is trying to squeeze a pair of 15's ported in there besides tc's.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3851
dd 9518 then pair of 05 xx 12s then 18 xxx

in that order

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1561
anyone else think thanks good? cisco did you take into account my amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1453
im sure he did

you can get all of those subs in the correct VC config for your amp

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1562
yea that is true. i was just wo dering cuz i barely have enought for 2 04/05 12' xxx's

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_justin850

Justin smith, crestview, Fl Okalossa

Post Number: 26
2 aphlas imo

Gold Member

Post Number: 1456
hey mark - i know you were looking at the treo 18 ssx

i have a 15 inch ssx that i can do for a pretty good deal - only problem is it has dual 1 vcs

$240 shipped

that being said - i still think that 2 12s is your best option

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1565
wow yea that is a great price! unfortunately it wont work for my application. i still may get that 18" ssx tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1458
what batts do you have?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1566
none yet. i am totally aware that i need some though. what would you reccomend. i would like a single battery if possible or 2 of the samllest ones i can get that will still work well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1460
kinetic
powermaster
oddysee
optima

the vets can recommend some brands and sizes for your application

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1568
Alright well ive decided that im going to go with a aingle 18 as it will cost me the least and has the highest potential for spl. so now i need to pick which 18 to buy.

btl (what options should i get)
ssx
xxx
lvl 5
dd 9500
others?

posting an official budget of $400

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1609
lvl 5 18" wayyyy outta your budget as well as most the other in that lil list... A couple you might be able to find used.. REAL USED! I p/u 2 alpha 18's v.2 for under 500. Just have to be in the right place at the right time! I wish you the best of luck... I love my 18's.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1610
you cant go wrong with 2 0/4- 0/5 XXX's... They are NO BULLSH!T!!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1569
woah mark im looking for only one 18 not a pair.

but yea i really want a pair of 04/05 xxx 12's but i cant find them anywhere and i dont think ill get them for under $500 shipped. so im considering a new 18 since it is more available.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2095
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359430
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us