What kind of power will i need?

Bronze Member
Username: Klutch

Post Number: 28
Ok i am going to be running the jl audio 13.5" sub with its 1000/1 amp. how powerful of a battery am i going to need? im looking to spend no more than $200 on a battery. and I will need wiring that can handle over 1500 watts correct? seeing as the jl sub ranges from 1000 to 1500 watts rms. some help would be of great help here. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 92
For that setup I would recommend a Kinetick hc1800 or Odyssey pc2150 or a powermaster d2400. However all of these batteries will be over your $200 budget. Might try looking on the ca.com classifieds if you don't mind used.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Someone else on this forum might be able to recommend another option that would keep you within $200.

As for wire I would say you could get away with 4 awg but nothing any smaller.

Also the big three upgrade in 0awg if it has not already been done.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1682
The 1000/1 is not the type of amp that generally requires considerations for your electrical system.
4 ga is all you need for pwr/ground, but you might want to go with 2ga or 1/0 if you're planning to run a 2nd amp for full range speakers.

Upgrades/improvements are always nice, but a decent sized stock alternator (100A+) and a healthy battery should get the job done.

Bronze Member
Username: Klutch

Post Number: 29
So i think my cars alternator is 105A. But the battery i think is ur regular 12V nothing higher. Should I at least get a new battery? Or should I try things first like upgrade the "big three" if needed and see what that does. then to the alternator and battery next? And yes I do plan on eventualy running my speakers off an amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8930
Unless you're putting in a HO alternator the only part of the big 3 that would help is the battery to chassis ground wire.

If you want a new battery I recommend odyssey, just get whichever one fits your car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us