Bass boost on good amps...

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_white

Post Number: 97
I know on most shitty amps, that if your looking for that little bit of extra spl without running the gain all the way up that bass boost doesnt necessarily do the trick without either a)making it sound like sh1t or b)hurting your sub.

I was wondering though, with my rd 1000.1 amp pushing 1000rms at 1 ohm to my Fi Q 15" in about 1.8cuft after displacement with 1 pound of polyfill...if bass boost really is good or bad? What do yall do? I have it about half way and I cant help but notice that it doesnt sound as good or loud with the frequencies in rap songs above the really lows.

Seems like on average bass lines were the bass goes low, just not bottom, it lacks compaired to the SX i was running with only 600 watts to it. I didnt have bass boost near half way with the SX. Was wondering what yall thought. I bought he Fi Q knowing it was more SQ but thinking with the right amount of power it would be louder than the SX in the lows for sure but louder too on the frequencies right above.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Also, the polyfill was only used with the Q, not the SX.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Also, the lowsest notes outpreform it for sure, just not the average lows.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1613
i believe its a gain knob on the RD amps anyways. It's not even bass boost.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
well it says bass boost on the amp

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8906
Get that bass boost off.... doesn't matter what amp it is, it's bad, distorts frequencey response terriably, causes clipping

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Figured so, preciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 489
why do they have bass boost then?!?!?!?!?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14345
^^^ have always wondered too since imo its a shiddy feature since it does more bad than good ...

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22699
they are just giving you a choice. maybe some people like to have a little boost. its like why make cars go faster than 65mph when there's speed limits.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22700
also does a bear sh!t in the woods?

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1615
nope.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 491
i agree with snow, theyll sh!t wherever they want their a F**kin bear lol

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1310
my bear sh!ts in the litter box, not in the woods.

shes a high maintenance bear...

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1426
they have bears in corpus?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1579
thats what they call the chics from Port Lavaca,lol

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1312
HAHAHA port lavaca! wow that town is one of a kind.

bears...in corpus? yeah but they are smaller and i think they are called something different. a local pet store sells bears but they have a sign that says "guinea pigs" its the weirdest thing...

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
thanks for turning my thread into a discussion about bears.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8914
Try not to let it turn you off to this forum all together.....

Lately we have a lot of douchebags on here that post useless off topic crap where it doesn't belong. There is still a good amount of useful info here but a lot of the more expeierenced members have left because of this crap. Some people here wish I would follow that lead.... which is exactly why I have no plans to leave

I'm sure this post won't help the situation but it needed to be said.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1431
sorry for the OT post Dan

"Get that bass boost off.... doesn't matter what amp it is, it's bad, distorts frequencey response terriably, causes clipping"

for the most part, what M.S. said is what i have read everywhere

i have read only a couple of instances where people use it in small amounts to get a little more low end

i never use it though because it tends to make things sound muddy in my setups

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22702
dan didn't mean to hijack your thread and turn it in to something funny. i figured when you said "Figured so, preciate it." that your question was answered.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2376
Chad i dont know if i agree with you entirely because driving your car above the speed limit wont damage your car while using bass boost can clip your sub and damage it

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22720
ahhhh ray you make a good point. but think of it this way. a little bass boost won't damage anything. excessive bass boost will. just like if you drive your car over 100+mph everyday, you will wear out your engine faster.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

You forum mods are a b..., Try sucking ... US

Post Number: 4875
Bass boost doesn't clip your subs and my car is less than 3000 rpm at 100 mph lol. Lack of a proper charging system does more damage wich causes amplifier clipping, to much bass boost causes waveform clipping and/or overall power rise which is what kills subs. Playing music with intoduced bass does the exact same thing! Now if it sounds natural or not is up to the listener. The only defense against sub damage is a trained ear and common sense. JMHO.. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2377
great point WaterPolo i agree 100 percent

Gold Member

Only Fcking H0M0S , Say WaterPolo! US

Post Number: 4876
Thanks

<

Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Its alright Im just kind of dissapointed with my Q compaired to the SX wich was suppost to sound SO bad...maybe I shouldnt have tested it and had my expectations so high for the sub that was suppost to sound better.

I might try taking the polyfill out, or something...Ive read that the Q's get even better after a few weeks of breaking in but for the most part ive read that theres no really big difference when a sub 'breaks in'. Especially when the SX wasnt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Were my expectations too high? Maybe instead of going with the Q I shouldve got something else Im thinking. I love the bass to sound good, but i HATE when its just not loud enough and I feel like I have to turn the volume up past the subs limit...

I mean the box is a tad shy of the proper space requirements but Im sure thats not it.

The lows hit so nice, but on the CD's I have right now theres like 2 out of 16 songs per cd that actualy get low enough to make the Q really shine...wich is great that it can do that but it seems like instead of SQL im getting pure SQ.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1634
How much power are you giving it? And what size box is it in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4877
The SX has big shoes for other subs to fill! I loved mine, matter of fact I bought 2 and sold one because it sounded better than expected. They can handle a lot more power than rated. Polo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
1000 watts at 1 ohm compaired to the 600 at 2 ohms i was giving the SX. The sub is in a 1.9cuft box before displacement pretty sure. Not exact on that though. 1 pound of polyfill btw. What are yalls thoughts on that? The SX didnt have the polyfill, I added when I got my Q.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1647
why dont you port it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
port a 15" q with 1.8cuft after displacement?

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1650
what kind of car is this in. a Smart car?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4879
I would go 3cf sealed and 4.5cf ported with that little bit of power. Polo...

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1651
are you saying you dont have much space or port that box that you have already? I would say make a new box.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8931
Maybe he just doesn't want his entire car taken up by a speaker box?

I have an SUV with 2 10"s selaed for that reason.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Precisely my reason as well. Seat on passenger side sits too far up enough already just for the room i have.

Anyway, thx for all the replies. I guess Im going to just mess with it see how it goes. Maybe put the SX back in lol didnt think id be saying that...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us