New here and need some help

Username: A26rock

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 1
Hey Guys

Im not totally new to car audio but I haven't messed with it in years, i.e...Im old!

Ive been building a 1956 chevy pickup street rod for several years and finally getting around to the interior. I am going to put a little system in it, I have a Kenwood double-din DVD player that im going to put in a custom built center console and then from there im lost. I am mainly looking for SQ and dont want to spend a ton of money since the truck may be driven 6 times a year for a couple of hours at a time. What I plan to do is run a set of 10" subs behind the seats and a set of 6.5 components in the front kick panels with no door speakers, 2 amps, one for the Subs and one for the front end. I know everyone has their own favorties but can someone give me some advice since theres tons more audio out there now than when I used ot mess with it? I was thinking on quick glance maybe some Diamond Audio subs and comps but know nothing about them. Have no earthly idea on amps.

Thanks for schooling the old guy.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2373
for 10" Sq subs you could look into the following

Fi Q
SSA Icon
RD Sonance
JL w6

idk what else but thats somewhere to start looking

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1044
how much power r u wanting to run them at

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4428
The diamond comps are a good choice. Look into the hexes. S600s.
As far as the subs, Im thinking JL W3's. As far as amps, You realy have to nail down what subs, comps your going to run so you can match the amp.

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 2
Yea that was pretty much what I was thinking is that I needed to figure out the speakers first and then try and match a good amp to them.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1756
for street rod application i would do cdt 6.5 comps with a jbl 75.2 and subs would be rdaudio sonance or dcaudio lv3. these are sq oriented that get fairly loud which he will need for the rod. custom exh. i take it? what type of mufflers flowmasters?

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 3
Scott, yea dead on the money. zz4 crate engine 3" exhaust with 2 chamber flowmasters.

I did order 2 rolls of BXT RAAMatt and some ensolite to install in the interior it should be here this week so that should help with the noise.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2641
That's a really nice looking truck. What's your budget for your system?

Bronze Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 80
Sweet truck man!!!

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1757
i figured. i see alot of street rods because the east nats. here in york pa. i also am into cars they literally take up my life. car lots will do that hehe.
i would use the jbl gto 1200 amp with the gto 75.2 good sq and performance with a good look with the smoked plexi coversUpload
nice truck btw

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1758
Upload
trunk of wifes mustang

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 4
Thanks!

I really haven't set a budget as I had no idea what decent equipment cost these days. It's a hard call as I want it to sound good, but it's only just to listen to while I go to car cruises and shows so it doesnt make sense to go total top notch on it either. Lets just say I don't plan to go to the Flea Market to put stereo in it...lol

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1759
pm me if you need any more help

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 5
Scott those do look nice, and since they will be visable

Ill try to post up some more pics of the truck when I get a chance, it's now got 18" and 20" Billet Specalties wheels, it needed them badly instead of the Rally roll arounds

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1761
looking forward to the pics

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 698
What kind of room do you have behind the seats?

Nice truck by the way!

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1428
damn clean engine truck looks nice..... for a cheby lol jkjk

Silver Member

Post Number: 700
Image Dynamic IDQ 10"s would sound real nice...they would cost about $480 for 2 of them though.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1616
doesn't look like money is a problem for him.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18864
Saaweet truck man! The paint is awesome.

In other words you might be more familiar with: That truck looks cherry!

And how old is old anyway?

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 6
LOL, Thanks for the compliments...old is 42.

Behind the seats at the bottom I have 8 inches, Up top a little over 2 inches, width I have 55 inches but I had planned to build an amp rack that would stand the 2 amps on end vertically in a stacked position between the subs on the back wall if that makes sense. basically they would sit at the back of the center console between the bucket seats so they would be visable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 701
If the Image Dynamic subs are in your price range I would suggest those. From what I hear they have great Sound Quality. With such a nice truck please don't go cheap. It makes me really sad when I go to auto shows and see really nice cars and trucks that went cheap on the audio part of their car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us