Component woofer enclosure...ouch

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_white

Post Number: 94
From what ive read it seems like a project.. but I have a Boston Acoustic component set (2 woofers 2 tweeters and crossovers) and an alpine amp just sittin because Im unfamiliar and have never installed a component set.

Not only that, im reading that an enclosure for my 6.5" woofers would make them sound worlds better. That being the case I wanna do that. I have a ford f-150 with 4 5x7's maybe 6...

Whats the best way to go if anyone can get a mental picture here? Going to the local audio store seems unlikey as they will want to charge me to install and asking them how doesnt seem like its going to get me anywhere. Not only that theyll probably say "ah you dont need an enclosure"... or dont i?

Like i said really unsure on all of this. Not only that but im probably going to have to upgrade my electrical system if my 15" fi q and rd 1000.1 pushing 1000 watts is making my light dims arent i?

A lot to read I know but my component set has been collecting dust for 5 months now... :-(

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4710
Enclosures for your comps make a massive difference because the mid-woofers finally have enough solid airspace to work with and will hit the lows far better than without. Especially quality speakers like Boston. Your best bet is to attempt to build some fiberglass door pods. BernyMac and some others here are really good at it, and they coached some pretty unfortunate kids to do it and they still turned out nice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
The woofers take 80rms watts each and I have an old Alpine3513s which i think only puts out 20x2 watts rms... :-(

For now, if I can get around to making an enclosure, Ill be using this amp. If whnen I upgrade to an 80x2 rms watt amp do you think id need an upgrade? thats 1160 watts rms on a stock electrical system. Seems like i might be ok with the big 3 upgrade maybe?

Anyhow, I wish fiberglass wasnt the only option because it seems so professional.. and messy. As I type i cant think of any other option though..

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4715
http://www.audio-n-more.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=QLK2 010-Cf150

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4716
As far as your RMS goes... you should be fine running 1160 on that truck. You should have a 130amp alt if I remember right? I would invest in a quality battery under the hood (Exide Orbital, Kinetik, PowerMaster, Optima etc.) buy some quality posts, and then do a "Big 3". There are guys here running more power than that off lesser alts, daily. You will be fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Nice brad. So with those q-logic kick panels id get a nice sound as they are complete enclosures correct? Wish they werent so expensive but a nice alternative indeed. Thank you for the advice.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4721
It will sound much better than doors but not as good as properly made pods. That link was just to point them out. Do some searching (even used) and check eBay for better prices.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8872
Those Q logics are not enclosures... they are open in the back... you'd get no benifit from those.

You can make mids enclosures from MDF as well. It ain't as pretty but does the job very well.

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2938
Fiberglass ftw:-)
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

You forum mods are a b..., Try sucking ... US

Post Number: 4867
You need to use your imagination. I bought a set of Q-form kick pods from crotchfield. They were open backed and would seal up against the carpet, that wouldn't do. I prepaired the inside added wooden baffles glass the inside and backs to the shape of the floor to form an enclosure. They sound awesome and handle a lot of power (200rms each, 800w total) and are extremely loud lOl. This pic is during fitment...Polo.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

RE MT 15 VFL 200.1 , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1830
thats gonna be pretty expensive if you have a shop do it..

just seal off your doors.. mine are completely solid like a 1 cu. ft. enclosure which my mids love

anyone who hears my car cannot believe the SQ of it.. the tweeter placement when tweeked on the HU is phenominal.. i dont even have subs in right now.. the midbass is plenty although i would like a more pronounced low end

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1831
thats gonna be pretty expensive if you have a shop do it..

just seal off your doors.. mine are completely solid like a 1 cu. ft. enclosure which my mids love

anyone who hears my car cannot believe the SQ of it.. the tweeter placement when tweeked on the HU is phenominal.. i dont even have subs in right now.. the midbass is plenty although i would like a more pronounced low end

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14329
im gonna get flamed for IMHO comments & im not a sq expert but here goes :

1st set of pixs with square box - could have been done neater or more rounded , that square just looks so odd

2nd pix - tweeter is too low for proper imaging & overall depth , black clashes with original door color

3rd pix - same as above but this time tweeter is near the floor which is worst

4th pic - is that a tweeter near that handle on ur ceiling ...wtf ...1st time im seeing something like that

tweeters r usually placed behind side mirrors (for a stock\stealth look) or on dash or more accurately on the 'A' pillars ...

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22670
i don't know about the other guys but i know for a fact that polo's tweeter position works. i have heard a car with tweeters down there. it works cause its facing up. sounds really good too.

as for the other guys, i am not sure how it would sound since its firing right at your leg.

as for mine, i have mine placed at the top of the door panel facing towards my rearview mirror. i got the best imaging like that.

the trend in speaker placement these days for sq setups are on the dash. the tweeter and the mid on the dash and the woofer on the door. that is if you have a 3 way.

for the topic of this thread, yes it will sound alot cleaner if the speakers were in an enclosure. the mid bass will come alive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1832
"4th pic - is that a tweeter near that handle on ur ceiling ...wtf ...1st time im seeing something like that

tweeters r usually placed behind side mirrors (for a stock\stealth look) or on dash or more accurately on the 'A' pillars ..."

i tried A-pillars.. this position sounded way better, i tested every position in my car which is truely how to find the best SQ FYI

if you can't hear it don't comment it

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22676
mike, yours is definately unique. doesn't the tweeter on the left side over-power the one on the right since its right by your ear? definately a good surround sound type of install though. i want to try that now. but with extra tweeters that are soft.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5870
my tweet is in the kick and imagine is great.

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22678
weaksauce kevin. lol.

put some grills on those beauties man. i would hate to see someone get in your car and accidently kick your door woofer.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5871
that was the pic after first done.. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1834
"mike, yours is definately unique. doesn't the tweeter on the left side over-power the one on the right since its right by your ear? definately a good surround sound type of install though. i want to try that now. but with extra tweeters that are soft."

I put the tweeter level on 1 out of 3.. and put the EQ down a bit on the tweeter frequencies.. sounds like your in the recording studio, you hear EVERY detail in the song.. nothing is overbearing or harsh, and the tweeters face the opposite sides ears so it hits them perfectly

seriously try this out its unbelievable.. my friends can't believe how good it sounds

i also love how it sounds amazing at ALL volumes, it fills the cabin with sound your not just hearing it from your feet its awesome

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22683
kinda reminds me of the acura rl setup. stock that is. they have tweeters/mid in the head rests. i thought it would sound weird until i sat in one. omg the sound was amazing.

i am definately gonna give it a try mike when i get some free time.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2939

quote:

2nd pix - tweeter is too low for proper imaging & overall depth , black clashes with original door color

The tweeter is not too low. I've had it up in the apillars and it just does not sound right at all. It's perfect where they are right now. I can aim them where I want with the swivel cups. And I like the black, it goes well with the other things inside the car so fuck you, Rovin.

quote:

if you can't hear it don't comment it

Exactly.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22684
steve relax man. its just a little criticism. no need to get angry dude.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2940
I just get a little worked up sometimes, Chad. lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14331
so ppl cant take honest opinions which says something about them & im not gonna bother arguing but give reasons

some of those tweeter positions r highly unusual & there is a reason why majority of sq cars have them on A pillars or on dash

like i said above i can understand some ppl may want to put tweeters low for a stock look or a stealth install so u can park anywhere without ur tweeter wont be seen 100ft away ...hell i had mine down low too near my door speakers & d imageing sounded about chest level , sounded good for where it was & i kept it that way for yrs ...but i recently got new comps & decided what the hell & put them up on my dash (dont want to cut A pillars) & now the imaging & depth is so many times greater & all this time i could have gotten better sound

Stavenmist316 - u dont need to be d1ck especially for some1 who is our lil group u disapoint me ...if u find that tweet sounds best located almost on top ur head well im glad 4u...& if u other guys r happy where u have it im also glad 4u ....

but im going to make a thread on this in a forum in my country where top iasca SQ competitors & judges r on & ask what they think about this & other pics on here just to get pros opinions on this ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14332
lets check on this to see what they say :

http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2994976#2994976

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8877
" 1st set of pixs with square box - could have been done neater or more rounded , that square just looks so odd "

As I said making it look pretty does not concern me so much as how it functions

" im gonna get flamed for IMHO comments "

Haha you called that one

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2941

quote:

Stavenmist316 - u dont need to be d1ck especially for some1 who is our lil group u disapoint me ...if u find that tweet sounds best located almost on top ur head well im glad 4u...& if u other guys r happy where u have it im also glad 4u ....

Sorry man. No hard feelings.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5872
you have to remember the acoustical values are different for every car so because something worked well for one car it may not work well for the other

on that same note.. its the same thing for the drivers you choose to run.. everything is very different and placement can be trial and error

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4425
glad i didnt post my set up...

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLsideU.S.A.

Post Number: 368
You guys are funneh.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14339
bump - did u guys read that thread ...

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2956
Yea...Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22694
yeah i did rovin. not only did i read that thread but i took the time to read some other stuff in that forum. the honda section is cool. people know their sh!t there. i even started a thread with my car. lol.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2957
Link it up, Chad.:-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22695
you already saw the pics steve. lol. its nothing much.

http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=217001

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1749
sq guys= picky little b/stards
spl guys= who cares!!!! its loud

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14342
damn chad has gone to show off on us poor locals

http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=217001

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8916
So from what I see there on that forum they seem to think my setup is good for a daily system......

Bronze Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 87
Nice car Chad. I've never been a fan body kits and rims but that is a DAMN fine lookin accord good sir. Wish mine looked half as good as yours does.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2447
SQ is STRICTLY a listerer opinion. Some people like thier tweeters with a more harsh sound. Some perfer them with a softer sound. Some prefer them right next to their ear, some like them at their legs.

There is no possible way to just say "Oh, your tweeters need to go here for best sound" and everyone will think it is best.

Everyone is different, every car is different.

My suggestion is if you compete, you find out what the judge likes. If you just drive daily, find out what you like lol.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2644
That's a really good point Nick.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22701
nick always has a good point. the dude is straight out no bs type of person. that is why he is one of my favorites on this forum.

wickedbass, thanks for the compliment. oh and that is not a body kit. its a oem lip kit. big difference lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 88
OEM lip kit? hmmm new one on me man, but then again I dont really know much about that area of car customization. Still, looks BA.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22707
lol thanks again. yea oem. meaning its an option when you buy the car. as for me i got it later on from a honda dealer. its really cool cause its already painted to the color of your car since its from honda.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1623
ricer...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22708
that is fucked up snow.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1624
how is that f*cked up? I'm saying your car is a ricer.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1436
doesnt seem ricey to me - lookin clean chad

when i think of a rice burner i think if big gaudy wings, fartcan exhausts, graphics and what not

and you can say fucked but not faart?

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2971
I don't think you know what a "ricer" really is Snow...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22709
relax guys. snow's ma boy. we are just having fun. lol. at least i hope we are.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4393
Chads car is by no means a ricer. Calling Chads accord a ricer offends me because I helped him turn his car into the style it has now. So, pretty much your saying that my taste in style is whack. Chads accord is oem with a slight taste of jdm styling.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2972
Pretty sure he's not, Chad. lol

He'll act like he is now...

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1625
yeah i was kidding about his car being a ricer. Shut up steve. Yeah I really think Chad's car is a ricer.....

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1626
"You're" a dumba*s steve.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2973
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2449

quote:

nick always has a good point. the dude is straight out no bs type of person. that is why he is one of my favorites on this forum.

w00t lol.

and yeah, Chad's car is awesome. I know what it is like to put alot of time and money into a car and it is worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4610
hey chad greddy evo2 exhaust lol that what my car has on it. But then again its coming off very soon. I failed inspection because opf my illegal headers so im just going back to stock i got my speed thing out of the way now back to car audio for a bit.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22715
why not do both like me? lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22718
thanks nick.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

You forum mods are a b..., Try sucking ... US

Post Number: 4874
To bad I have been to busy to reply lol. Rovin as posted above SQ is different to different people. SOund quality is different from correct imaging, to me SQ is loud and clean not weather it sounds like it is coming from the hood of my car. If you notice the way my components are aimed they are projecting straight to my face, right where I want them. Also there are 4 tweeters, two are on the floor which they are set for +3db and two are on pillars, they took the spot of the stock located bose tweets and are set at -3db. With the correct time alignment it actually does quite well, loud, clean especially for only 800 rms. :-O Polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us