Car detailing tips

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22660
i want to detail my own car this weekend or next weekend.

i am gonna use clay too.

question is, i've never used clay before. what do i do?

do i first wash the car then use the clay or clay first then wash? also when using clay, do i do it in a circular motion or back and forth?

thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4702

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22661
give me some links to good products berny. like clay, wax, polish, etc.....

thanks.

oh and thanks for the vids brad.you da best.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3004
the clay bar works soooo well it's crazy. last summer i washed (rag but no soap), then clay barred, then washed with soap, then waxed, then washed again with soap.

my paint seriously still feels brand new. my paint is smoother and feels newer than my moms 05 envoy. not even lying, my paint feels absolutely brand new, it's ridiculous.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22662
cal don't just brag about the work you did with the clay. give me the damn link to the clay you used. lol. please.

thanks.

chad.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 971
i've used the meguiars before. didn't buy the kit in the video but got all the stuff seperately, and it seemed to work really well. i wasn't disappointed at all and cal is right, it makes a night and day difference in the texture and feel of your paint surface.

just make sure you don't drop the bar. its a pain in the a*ss to have to go back to the store and buy another clay bar cause you accidentally dropped it in the driveway.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22664
sounds good.

since my car is black and time has passed, i am seeing white swirl marks when parked under a light. i also need good wax and polish to get that stuff out.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3005
haha sh!t my bad chad, i didn't realize you were lookin for brands...haa to tell you the truth i just went to advance auto parts and bought like the mothers claybar kit

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1602
I've used the meguiars from advance, it came with everything you need and worked well.

Good luck with the swirl marks, I've tried so many products but I never can seem to get rid of the ones on my truck :-(

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22680
thanks again guys. ima get started on it this weekend.

they were painting a section of a wall in the parking structure where i park my car. anyways i got some over spray and i am hoping the clay will take those out.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4722
You didn't say it was for overspray. You gotta be careful Chad and get a special clay bar made just for that.

"... a professional grade clay bar that's designed to remove paint overspray is very firm and contains abrasives equivalent to heavy rubbing compound. Used properly it will remove heavy overspray without damaging the paint. Used improperly, it can leave some pretty significant surface marring. That's why it's a professional product."

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22682
oh i c. yeah ima becareful.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1496
for over spray go with a turtle wax rubbing compund, that type of grade is typically very light i wouldn't clay bar overspray i'd get rubbing compund type of wax instead, swirl marks from what i learned are due to clear coat cracking meaning u have to wet sand them out then u can re seal it or not depending on wow much u sand. wet sanding is pretty much the only true way to make a car like glass. also 2 other killer cleaning tools is meguires "hot rims" that stuff melts the break dust off and shines my rims unbelievably. for glass i use a spray called "perfect glass" with a microfiber cloath. remember ur responsible for ur actions not me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us