Speaker advice and suggestions

Username: Crashtcs

Post Number: 1
I want to replace the factory speakers in my Tundra (6.5 rear, 6x9 front, tweets in dash). Ideal budget is $400 front and rear. I have a Kenwood KAC-6485 280 watt, 4/3/2 channel amp, and Rockford 2.3 100 watt amp.
In the past, I owned Polk and Infinty speakers (reference and kappa), and liked the sound. However, I was younger, and now I am looking for more clarity and balance. I recently listened to:
* Boston Acoustics and was disappointed
* JLs, the C5 separates is more what I like, but don't want to spend that much, however the lower end was reasonable (not at retail price).

My first thought is to replace the rears and get the amps installed, then get front components in a few months.

Any advice for other speakers, and how to use my amps?

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 903
Craig, what head unit do you have? if its factory, i would recomend you replace with with a nice h/u.
Also, i would recomend you spend your money is a nice front stage setup. I can gurantee you it will sound awesome in the thundra. There is no point to replace the rears. Its best if you first get a nice head unit (if you don't have one yet) and then get front components. With that budget, im sure you will be able to get a nice pair of CDT or Focals.

I am sure M.S. and Exige Audio will give you a hand in choosing the best setup for your budget. They have tons of experience with this and can gurantee that you will be satisfied with their help.

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 904
Tundra*

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8851
As skullz said rears are unnessecary....

Before you do anything I'd recommend you go listen to high end component speakers and try to get a taste for what you like...... infinity speakers are terrible in comparasion, and no offense but people who like those usually havn't heard very good speakers.

If you want some brands to look for I rceommend CDT, Focal, and Diamond.

In particular CDT ES and Diamond HEX.

Username: Crashtcs

Post Number: 2
I understand the need to replace the HU to get the best sound, but I don't want to do that because thieves don't care about stock units -- had an old mini van stolen because I left the faceplate of my Alpine in overnight.

CDT ES and Diamond HEX, Yikes! I'd have to sell a toy or two to pay for those!

So what's the reason for the rear not having importance? I read that somewhere else, but still find it hard to comprehend. My only guess is that the better speakers can produce a superior soundstage. A couple years ago I upgraded my home speakers and experienced that -- my two mains have such a nice soundstage in stereo, that it can be hard to tell the rears aren't playing. On the other end are my Etymotic and Sure headphones. If I can get that kind of sound in my truck, I'd be stoked. But, $800+ just for one set of speakers ain't going to happen for a year or two, and I can't wait that long.

So let's say I spend $300 for components, and <= $100 for rears. Would that be worthwhile, or seriously just keep the stock rears (which have almost non-existent sound quality), and drop the $400 on the fronts? Oh yeah, I have an older pair of Polks in another car that's a lease, so I can use them in the rear.

So what about other materials, such as sound deadening and wires?

Any thoughts on the amps? Adequate? Insufficient? I bought the Kenwood a few years ago, and it was used about year, and was given the Rockford (assume it works).

I was talking to a local custom auto sound/video shop, and was kind of told that they only carry JL Audio because in the owners' 20+ years in the business, and explained his credentials, JLs are the best for price point, tunability, and sound quality. He was very compelling, but I don't like the narrow focus on one brand, when people have different listening tastes, and physical differences (e.g. bad hearing). But, that's why I am here; To educate myself before buying.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8867
Drop the rears all together, disconnect the stock. All they do is subtract from the sound.

Also don't be fooled by retail prices. I'm not sure on exact prices but exige audio (mike) on this forum can probably get you the CDTs for around your budget.

Tons of shops carry JL. The reason being that brand puts lots of money in their pockets.

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 711
Hey Craig, I sent you a PM explaining the negative effects of rear speakers and also listing out some helpful info for you ;)

Email me at mike(at)exigeaudio(dot)com and I'll be happy to help you out. Don't worry about retail prices :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us