Polarity wiring

Hey all..newbie to all this stereo stuff.!

I have installed a pair of kenwood speakers in the door of my laguna, now I have realised that when I look at the speakers against the old ones I have put the wires to the new speakers on the wrong terminals, now I realise that when installing speakers that one has to have its terminals connected the same way around as the other, this is the case but they are both connected the wrong way round from the original. Does this make a diffrence. Sorry if I havent explained my self right...also I friend has given me a splx spla350 amp and a sub in a black box, if the wiring of the main speakers is ok, which way round would I connect the sub red to white or just as normal red to red etc.

Thanks any advice would be would be much appreciated Ò¸Ò

motoman22
John, switching the (+) and (-) connections on a speaker is something you need to try and aviod. This isn't a problem when you have only one speaker but when you have two or more, they all need to be the same. One thing that makes this fun is that car manufacturers are not putting convenient markings on their speakers to where you know which wire is pos or neg... may have to do some research.

What does it do if you have some speakers reversed? This is called 'out of phase' and, in theory anyway, one speaker will cancel out the other. If one speaker is hooked up properly and the other is hooked up backwards, they are producing waves exactly 180 degrees out of phase and in a perfect world this results in no sound at all. With stereo separation and other sound enhancing processes in place the sound is not NULL but it certainly is diminished.

I suggest you make sure all of your interior speakers are wired up properly even though this may mean substancial research (or purchasing a wiring kit which will have color codes on it.)

As far as the amp/sub goes... check the existing posts in the Amplifier section. You'll want to NOT use the 'high level inputs' on the amp because they are just too darn noisy. If your stereo does not have preamp level outputs (RCA plugs) then you'll need a hi-low converter. They're only about $30 and they make for much cleaner sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us