Upgrading my setup

Bronze Member
Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 57
Im looking for a new amp and one or two new subs. I was thinking about getting one Alpine Type R now, and then another later once I have the money, and an amp that can power both setups good. I listen to a lot of metal with fast double bass and a bit of rap also. Looking for SQL but more towards the SQ side. I have a 110A alternator and dont plan on upgrading it soon or at all, how much power can I run to an amp with this? I was thinking about these items.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4243_Alpine+SWR-1222D+-TYPE+R-.html
If I get one to start off I can run it at 4 ohms, and when I get a second run it at 2 ohms.
As for the amp, I was looking at this, but im sure someone has a better reccomendation.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12210_Hifonics+BXi+1208D.html
If I got that amp I could run them and get 450Wrms to each sub.
Is this a good idea or is there something better I should do?

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2618
what's your budget? You know you will be underpowering them. Might look at a different amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
My budget is about $500. I know I will be under powering them a little, but Id rather under power them then have to buy a new alt.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 630
that is a good budget amp. I have the same set-up. 2 12" type-r's and the same amp. My box is 3.8cuft(i would go a little bigger if i could) tuned to about 35hz. It plays rap really well. Look into the AQ1200D for an amp. I think its about the same price as the Hifonics, but it is not overrated from what i have heard. I dont think you would need to upgrade your charging system with either of those setups, a big 3 would be a good idea, and keep an eye on your voltage.

here's a link to that amp i suggested (it costs like 20 more than the hifonics, but it looks like they're out of stock. You can send them an e-mail to find out when they will have more if you are interested).
http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
I have one more Idea for this setup right now. Instead of getting the 12's should I just get one 15? I know it would be a tight fit for the box in the car, but it would be better for SQ than 2 12's right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
also get the 4ohm DVC subs. that way you can wire for 2 ohms when you have one and wire for 1 ohm once you have both. You will get more power out of the amp that way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 632
one 15 would not necessarily have better sq. Your box will decide that, but with 1 15 you would save money and be able to fully power the sub with clean power. either way you go you will have a solid setup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
I was going to get 2 ohm DVC subs so I could safely run the subs. I figure that 900W is close to the power limit for my alternator. But since space is a factor for me, 1 15 would need a smaller enclosure(according to alpines reference guide http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1542D.PDF ) then 2 12's would. What would be a good amp that does 750w for the alpine type R 15 at 1 or 2 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1374
@ 1 ohm

AQ1200D
alpine pdx1000.1
sundown sae 1000d
rd audio rd1000.1d

@ 2 ohms

kicker zx1000.1
kicker zx750.1

there are plenty more as well

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1375
alpine pdx would work at 1-4 ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 634
I am running the hifonics 1208 without any problems from my alt and i only have a 105amp. you should be able to run 1200 without any trouble. Dont be afraid to give the type-rs more power than they are rated for. They can take it, they are underrated subs. Also they are very durable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
My friend has a 15" FI SSD which I have heard and Like a lot. How would the type R stack up in terms of SQ and SPL to the SSD? The price and wmrs given are both simmilar.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5777
Selling my RE XXX 15" .. might kill most of your budget at $375 shipped though.. if it did not weigh so much and have to be shipped in a crate it would be less

Would be one of the better options for SQL drivers though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
he would also need an amp to power it... that would cost quite a bit over his budget, but Jon if you can afford it DO IT! lol the xxx is an amazing driver!

As far as the SSD i dont know much about it. Ask Nick V he had one with the hifonics 1206D amp lol i found a vid of it, didnt know it was nick V's at first, but recognized the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxsCI2EyCvo

anyway i think the SSD would be a better driver than the Alpine R

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Ok i think ive decided on the 15" type R, not sure on the amp yet, prolly the kicker or the audioque or the hifonics.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10566
I would take the SSD over the Type R everyday of the week. I used to own a SSD and have heard enough Type Rs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
If I do chose the SSD, what options should I get? I dont really know what they mean. I would be putting around 800-1000wrms to it though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 654
I don't really know too well what the options do exactly, but for that question to be answered you will have to say what you want to use the sub for. Daily driver, spl, etc., etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
This is going to be a daily, no competitions or anything. I want it to sound good and loud, but more on the SQ side.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Ok I was looking at some other models and the FI Q came up, that is right at the edge of my budget though. Is the FI Q 12" sub worth the money over the other ones? And with that i would probably get the hifonics 1206D. Im not worried about how loud it will get really, mostly anything will be an upgrade from my current setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us