New car should I make 2 way comp into 3 way or...

Bronze Member
Username: Havok13154

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 37
I got a new car and it has 3 speakers in the door. i have 6.5" and tweeter and need 4" should i GULP (so much $$$$) buy the right cross over and the 4" speaker for over $500 or put a 4" and make it my rear. if i make my 4" a rear i will need a new amp. unfortunately I'm looking at $500 eathar way i think, maybe not

Will a 3 way blow my mind or 2 way with rear be as good?
my specs right now:
Head Unit: Alpine W200
Subwoofer: SI 15" Mag
Sub Amp: Cadence A7+HC 1200@1Ohm
Mids: CDT Eurosport ES-620
Mids Amp: HiFonics Son of Boltar 150x2@4Ohm
Battery: Kinetik Power HC1800
Rear Speakers: none
Everything is in a box as i plan my setup in new car

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8739
Very nice choice of equipment.

I would just get the ES tweeter to go with your mids and call it a day.

Bronze Member

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 38
the image tweeter? i have the DRT-26 tweeter now

no rears? this is a 2 door car

EDIT: like this? CDT Audio ES-02 - CDT Audio 2" Extended Range Mid tweeter Drivers
Designed for:

* CenterStage Systems
* Kick panel accent fill systems
* Replacement of main tweeters
* Ambiance rear fill systems

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8742
Rear speakers are unnessecary all they do is pull the soundstage back.... the opposite of what you want

I haven't played with those image tweeters so I can't really tell you what those would do.....

If you already have the ES-620 set whats the problem though?

Username: Faroutdesign

St.ptersburg, Florida Usa

Post Number: 6
you might want to look at selenium or eminence or any one and see if they offer a 4". In the music spectrum, you have lows midbass midrange and highs. alot of your vocals come from midrange and the rock and roll bass comes from your mid bass. it can depend on the music you listen to. rap can some times over power the vocals with those high pitched frequencys and every one thinks oh tweeters make everything louder but it dosnt. it can add distortion because very few tweeters( mostly horns) pick up above human vocal frequencys and no one buys really good highs amps any more so alot of distortion there already . thus a 4 inch is great for vocals and even your 6". if you really want to hear words i would find a pair of 4" and 6" coaxials with ther same impedance (8 ohm-16ohm) and wire them in parallel then connect that to a cross over with a tweeter feed for your tweeter. then your low end bass will be covered by your woofers. this technology has been around for a long time look at old school pioneer home systems. one more note rap and rock can sometimes be over powering to titanium tweeters so a silk dome may be better. oh and magnet sizes means everything.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8749
holy hell please don't pay any attention to this guy

Bronze Member

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 39
ok i wont.

ok CDT offers a 3 way and i really hate rears to tell you the truth.

if i have 3 ways it will be the same as the CDT gold 3 ways kit.

i guess the real question is will the CDT 3 way sound better then a 2 way?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8766
I would think so..... send a PM to exige audio he has played with all the CDT stuff and can give you a better answer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
hey m.s what kind of system have you had. what experience and training do you list havent seen much?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8770
I've been installing car audio for a few years now..... and building electronics in general for quite a bit longer than that. Current system is:

2 Fi Q 10" sealed
American Bass 200.1 3000w amp
CDT ES-5 mids and DRT-25 tweeters
Alpine MRP-F550 amp 250w X 2
JVC KD-AR880 hu
DB Electrical 200 amp alt and Odyssey 1500 amp battery

I don't pick on people just to be an azz..... it's because you've made about 10-15 false statements already since you've started posting

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
maybe one day you can step up with the big dogs

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8780
Hahaha ok

Thats a SQ system since your dumb azz couldn't figure it out

Bronze Member

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 40
the car is a MB clk55 amg, i am running new wires to the deck so i can put the stock back in and no one will know.
i am going to dynomat behind the door and the door. if the speakers dont fit tight i will make MDF plates.

anything else to make this a good install?

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 704
M.S. does indeed know what he's talking about. He's been in the game for quite a while now and has proved himself across this forum many times. There is no reason to doubt his knowledge at all.

Havok, I just sent you an email back. Sorry for the delay.

Mike
sales at exigeaudio dot com (Gotta protect from the spammers)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
any one can talk the talk but can they walk the walk.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8784
haha what a joke this guy is

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
and im the one laughing

Bronze Member

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 41
well the 4" speaker will be right behind my butt and i am thinking that it will not sound as good, it is the rear in the stock system. looking at the UP-526XT Gold upstage system maybe instead. i'm not sure on the affect of the sound with where the 4" will be.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
have you looked into a fosgate 360.2?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8790
What are you trying to achieve here? Because I can almost promise adding more speakers (different speakers, not like the CST upstage set) will be bad not good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
well i did not notice that he had cst i was just offering a better combo from a stock system. he would still be wise to invest in a really good signal processor

Bronze Member

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 42
i am looking to make it sound better/more real. maybe the deck will do that as i had a 2v alpine before.i want to make the best sound with my speakers i have and if adding more to the set will do that then i'm all for it. i will have to custom mold the 4" above the 6.5 unless i get a upstage system.

the upstage pulls the sound forward, so that means nothing to me, same info on there site. does it make it cleaner? sound crisper?

i crashed the car so i can't take off the panel to see the door for like 3 weeks, damn it i want to know if i can mold the 4" lol

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8798
So you're not satisfied with the sound of your current system. Thats surprising since those speakers are top of the line.

Adding more speakers in all likelyhood is not going to be the answer though....

What exactly are you not satisfied with , as much detail as you can would help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
what exactly is missing is it vocals wideness what?

Bronze Member

Poway san diego, Ca USA

Post Number: 43
i like the sound don't get me wrong. they make these extras and if they enhance the sound and make it more pleasing then i want it. like the 3rd speaker and the upstage. i can't go anywhere and hear it to see if i like it, i have to buy it and hope i like it.

i'm trying to understand what these "extras" really do for me.

once i get my car back i will take some pics and see if i can make that 3rd speaker work. the door has leather on it so i could make a mount and cover it in leather. i think that will work.

i get crazy with stuff like car audio and i want to max out this system. making a custom encloser for the trunk with a front board covered in carpet. i hope i get 135-140db that would make my day

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
135-140 db is easy to achieve today. i had 2 kicker comps hit 137. the fosgate 360.2 is an amazing device steve meade has 2 of these and you tube has a video about it. i just cant explain all the amazing things about it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us