Geico is cancelling my insurance because of my system

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1572
I've been on my moms policy for years because I'm still young and it's been cheaper than being on my own. Well a few months ago I contacted Geico and it was cheaper for me to insure my vehicle with really good comprehensive insurance + $10,000 worth of stereo theft than stick with my moms policy so I did.

Today I got home from work to find a letter in the mail telling me come December they wont be insuring me because of "excessive modifications" to my vehicle. I immediately called them up and asked what was the problem? I have a K&N intake and mufflers. They told me I was too big a liability because of my expensive equipment. When I told them I didn't have the equipment anymore because I sold it can't I just have comprehensive without the stereo coverage they said NO! They said I could easily put the equipment back in and not tell them.

Why in the hell would you push an option on a policy onto someone, then cancel them for getting it? I haven't been pulled over or had an accident in 3+ years, they're just trying to screw me over.

Something to think about if you are considering getting a large system.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2345
Geico just PWNED you :-( sorry to hear bro

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4392
interesting. I have coverage on my set up. I thought if you had full comprehensive/fire/theft it covers everything permanatly instqalled in your car, Providing you have reciets..

I will ask my wife, she works for a big insurance company.

But sorry to hear that. It may be hard to get coverage else where now if you've been label a risk too.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4393
well, try progressive insurance and have an independent pre insurance inspection done. They will appraise the car on its condition for insurance puposes.
GL.
Also gieco may take you back if you get the inspection to prove the stuff is gone.

but all my equipment and tools are covered. But i dont use gieco..stupid gxy lizard.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 161
wow man. sorry to hear that.

while im here also i. how are the new mufflers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1574
I told them I was willing to have an inspection done and they said they wouldn't. How can they label me a risk when I told them I just have a cd player? fggs offered me the coverage, why would they even have it if they didn't want it?!

Alex, I don't know. The guy got the wrong mufflers in and still hasn't gotten my Borlas. He did a crap job welding these in because they're so temporary, and I think one came a little lose cause I can hear chuffing outside the car around mid-body. The K&N intake was worth it though.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 162
i see. ive been considering cold air for a while. i probably will when i start driving again

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 964
I'm with Marc.. I was always pretty sure that full comprehensive coverage covers everything that is considered a permanent fixture in your car. but i guess thats no reason that they couldnt deny you coverage if they consider you a liability. i don't understand their reasoning on denying you coverage for the reason that you could put your system back in your car though.. if you do put your system back in your car and dont tell them and it gets damaged in an accident they wouldnt cover it anyway if they refused to insure it. i'm not sure if the way i described it makes any sense but i think you get it.. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1575
I'll know my new mileage by the end of the weekend. That's still with the wrong pipes, mufflers, and no tuning done yet, so I don't expect too big a difference at all. I'll let you know.

The intake instantly made it so much more responsive. It makes a noise audible outside the vehicle, but its not excessive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1576
Gavin, that's exactly my thinking. If they say they wont cover it then where's the issue right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1577
And the thing that really bothers me is I DON'T have the system!

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 976
lol go with allstate i havent had a problem with them even when i got in my wreck they took my side an try to fight it off but in the end i ended up paying

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 967
I have statefarm and i have to say i've been fairly pleased with them. i've had a lot of tickets.. had my lisence suspended because of them.. all that good stuff when i was young and dumb, and they've worked with me the whole time to try and keep my rates as low as they can. of course it helps coming from a small town where you've known your insurance agent since you were a little kid.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 719
thats g@y

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 452
Geico not cool. what difference does it make weather or not you have your system in or not? you said you sold it? the system that is? you asked them if you could have the insurence w/o the coverage and they said no. it shouldnt matter to them wheather or not its in if its not even on the policy.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1423
didn't know this was the weather forecast section. It's whether*

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2650
Troy, I must have missed when you sold off your equipment? I guess I was gone for a little while. When was this? Putting anything else back in?

Anyways, to stay on topic, sorry to hear about the issues. I'm sure it will get resolved with the right company, but sucks in the meantime. Good luck man.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 234
try state farm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1578
BCS I'm still in the process. I sold 2 subs, 2 amps, and 2 alternators. I have the other half in my car right now, but I'm going to be selling 1 more alt, sub and amp. I reallly don't want to seperate with the last 2 amps, so I might just hold on to both of those for a bit and sell the last sub.

My wife is pregnant, so I need room to haul baby stuff, and the quad alt bracket just wasn't working out for me like I thought it would.

I may do a pure SPL build in a different vehicle down the road, but for right now I have several medical related bills I need the money for more. And I'm going back to college next semester and appearantly I make just over too much to get assistance, so it's all out of pocket :-(

Sounds like State farm has some happy customers.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 237
"Sounds like State farm has some happy customers" x2 i love them. covered everything i lost in my old truck.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2075
I am insured via AllState and my gear is fully covered whether I be parked in my driveway, or parked on the streets of the 'worst part' of OKC.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22585
is geico the company that states "its so easy even a caveman can do it"?

anyways get 21st century. i've been using them for many years now and they are the best.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2592
Allstate ftw.

They cover me when I totaled my mustang and without a license.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1319
"They cover me when I totaled my mustang and without a license."

^^that is crazy

i have allstate as well. my agent is very helpful.

my rate didnt go up when i totalled my bonneville at age 16

Silver Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 216
SQ= something that accurately reproduces the original recording. To achieve this, the sub system's design must include things like input power, of course its enclosure (size/type/alignment/positioning/etc), and the rest of the system it is to be paired with. You can make a decent subwoofer sound very good if you attack all the variables with equal thought.

Gold Member

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2593
WTF lucas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1579
No joke wtf sir?

200rms component set vs 16,000rms 18s = sq fail.
The substage sounded awesome, but its obvious why as a whole the system didn't.

Silver Member
Username: Gh0st_31

USF, FL USA

Post Number: 812
I have state farm and I think they suck. Parents and I have been with them for years and they charge me so much more than the other companies have quoted me. I got into an accident where there wasnt even visible damage...no paint, no dents, nothing. They said they paid 2000 on a 94 COROLLA with 150k miles to fix his back end. I am still paying the $200 per 6 month "Accident surchage" while I lost my good driver discount. I am switching after Christmas.

I was going to go to Geico but after this I might look into Allstate.

Insurance is fu<king bullsh!t imo.
I pay more for insurance than car payment >:|

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2783
travelers ftw

Gold Member

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2597
"200rms component set vs 16,000rms 18s = sq fail"

That's why i am going with two set's of Mmats pro651.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us