Enclosure cracking

Silver Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 119
I have two Q-Logic 12" wedge boxes that both split in the same place, along the seam, where the sharpest angle is.

One did it back when I had my old Audiobahn sub, and I had one just now split apart with my RE SX12.

What causes the box to split at the seams? Poor design / construction? What can I do to prevent this? The boxes haven't been handled roughly.

Any suggestions for replacements?

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1321
build your own box bud prefab boxes are poorly built

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8623
They are cheap / low quality.

All prefab ported boxes suck, and most of the sealed ones do...... there are some good sealed ones out there though.

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 120
Any links or suggestions on box building? Wood type, etc?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8637
MDF wood

Talk to canaan hes one of our master box builders on here

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1325
wood type would be either the classic MDF or Trupan light

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLsideU.S.A.

Post Number: 324
You could try searching.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=subwoofer+box+building&aq=4&oq=subwoofer+bo x+

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2776
birch

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1326
birch is good too looks nice lil pricy

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 121
Will a hardwood work? spruce, maple? Throw some out there, I can get just about any kind of wood except MDF and birch.

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1329
the three mentioned are which work best yes those will work but not optimally at all

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18619
Hardwoods are expensive! Much more so than MDF or Birch.

Check the thickness of the wood used on your enclosure that cracked. 1/2" I'm guessing? Toy box wood if you're using it for sub boxes. 3/4" or better for stability and strength. Mass produced boxes are so general in size so they can accommodate many different subs. That's where the tuning problem comes in. Also the quality.

If you're going to invest a decent amount of $ on a suit, you'd want it tailored right? Made to fit the man, perfectly. The same goes true with your box. It makes a world of difference.

Not to mention, would anyone want their sub box made in the same facility where packing peanuts are made? The labor rate is a major contributor to the decline of quality goods anymore.

If you want something done right............

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 122
The box was a wedge shape which appears to be a bad design because both cracked at the same place. /___ If you picture that to be one side and the base of the box, that corner is where it split. Even the carpet was split.

I'm trying to use something I can get from work, which is mostly hardwoods (walnut, maple, spruce, cherry, etc) as we have lots of scrap I can cut pieces from. I don't know how well these woods work with box building however...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4625
Hardwoods work fine from a strength standpoint but the main issue is their resonance. MDF is made of finely ground sawdust and alot of glue so it is basically acoustically inert, which means it has little or no resonance of it's own. A good analogy is the way pianos are made. They use sheets of hardwood that resonate with the notes and adds warmth and character to the sound. If they used MDF, the piano would sound like ass and would also not project at all.

Having said that, if it is the best you can do, get some maple scraps which will most likely be 1/2" thick, stack two pieces together with a very generous layer of Titebond or any quality woodglue between the layers, and that will not only help cut down the resonance, but will also eliminate all or most of the air leakage you get from the pores and grains in the hardwood. That will make a pretty decent box. It will also give you the option of staining the box to take advantage of the natural wood grain. Transparent black stain + maple = sex.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2518
id have to say Rovin is the box building master. man his boxes are sexy

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18621
"Hardwoods work fine from a strength standpoint but the main issue is their resonance. MDF is made of finely ground sawdust and alot of glue so it is basically acoustically inert, which means it has little or no resonance of it's own. A good analogy is the way pianos are made. They use sheets of hardwood that resonate with the notes and adds warmth and character to the sound. If they used MDF, the piano would sound like ass and would also not project at all.

Having said that, if it is the best you can do, get some maple scraps which will most likely be 1/2" thick, stack two pieces together with a very generous layer of Titebond or any quality woodglue between the layers, and that will not only help cut down the resonance, but will also eliminate all or most of the air leakage you get from the pores and grains in the hardwood. That will make a pretty decent box. It will also give you the option of staining the box to take advantage of the natural wood grain. Transparent black stain + maple = sex."

^^^post of the year right there!!!

Upload

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 123
I will probably go that route. I can use maple or whatever works best, two 1/2" pieces are no problem. Is there another forum where I can get tips on actual box size / port dimensions for my sub or is this the one?

I have an RE SX12 in a crew cab pickup w/ ~1000w

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8641
Why can't you use MDF? It's dirt cheap as far as wood goes.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Post Number: 2679
"I'm trying to use something I can get from work, which is mostly hardwoods..."

how much space do you have for the box?

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 124
I have roughly 28w x 24h x 14d

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2681
thats plenty of room for a proper ported box. from here you could either have some willing member on here draw up some plans for you (i'm not that great at it, which is why i went with route "b"-->), contact a box builder to design you one, or do some research and have some good old fashion diy fun :-)

if route "c" is more your choice, there are plenty tutorials/tips on here and other forums that can be found by using the search function that is quite often ignored lol. also the12volt.com, reaudio.com, and a few others i can't remember at the moment have the programs you will need to calculate box matters. great way to learn a lot about car audio. bcae1.com also contains a plethora of car audio related knowledge
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us