Whats the best amp for 12'L7?durability? quality?

Username: Trgft

Post Number: 1
I have 2 Kicker S12L7, what would be a good amp for them?
sonicelectronix gave me following:

1.Kole Audio KX1 3000D
2.Hifonics BXi 1608D
3.Power Acoustik LFA1 4000D

durability? quality? or if any other amps that you would recommend?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6629
budget and voice coils of the subs?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10653
What year and type of vehicle? To see what kind of power you can support.

Post Number: 2
dual voice coils, (Kicker 08S12L74)
I a newbie, so I really dont have an idea on the amps. huge price difference really confused me. do I really get what I pay for? or just a brand name?
Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 3
2006 Range Rover Sport, will upgrade batteries or capacitors if needed

Post Number: 4
seems like none of these 3 listed are recommended. I have never heard these 3 brands,
some reviews show Hifonics has some poor quality products?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1638
the HF is decent, but a little over-rated. It claims 1600 but will probably give you 1300-1400.

The Kole claims 1700, but there's no way you'd get much more than 1000. The PA is rated 2200, you might get 1200-1500.

You're looking for about 1500w rms at 1 ohm which makes the HF a pretty good candidate, and fairly reliable. You might also check out the audioque aq1200d at audioque.com. I think it's still $250 shipped and will perform almost identically to the HF 1608.
The Powerbass ASA 1500.1D might be worth looking into. Also the Pioneer PRS-D1200M, slightly less power, but very high quality (physically small too).

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8598
Audioque 1200d would do ya perfect. Not a great choice of subs though, L7s are loud but they don't sound too good

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the reply guys.
let me put it this way, what kind of amp would you buy, if you have a pair of L7s?

M.S.: I do have heard what you've said over the internet, so what's a good sub for the same price range?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8601
how much were you going to pay?

and that's a question you should post in the sub section for more answers.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10656
It looks like you might have a 100 amp alternator which means you will need an upgrade electrical wise if you do run 1200 watts. Dont buy a cap and skip the battery instead for an upgraded alternator.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1643
1200's doable on a stock charging system.

Barring extreme listening habits it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Faroutdesign

St.ptersburg, Florida Usa

Post Number: 21
anything 1 ohm stable with atleast a 100 amp fuse should be cool. im a kicker fan had 2 15" L7 08 15's i actaully had a 1500.1 which beat the hell out of them but i had it at 1.5 ohms dont ask how i got it there and why it worked i dont know either. accidently wire dual 4's in parallel then both in parallel but i had 10 gauge speaker wire which added some resistance i guess but it ran at 1.5 ohm stable all day. your either going to have a 1 or 4 ohm load the 1 ohm will be more efficient just find a mono block

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8747
cj you fail at car audio.... stop telling people to choose amps based on fuse rating

And yeah an AQ1200d shoold probably be ok an a stock electrical

Bronze Member
Username: Bp_productions30

Post Number: 15
My, Opinion, I would say a kicker 1500.1, they are rated at 1500 watts peaks, but actually certified power rating will be alittle over 1500. I think it will be worth the money, plus kicker makes better amps and subs. Thier amps can run alittle high in price, but I thinks it worth it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
My, Opinion, I would say a kicker 1500.1, they are rated at 1500 watts peaks, but actually certified power rating will be alittle over 1500. I think it will be worth the money, plus kicker makes better amps and subs. Thier amps can run alittle high in price, but I thinks it worth it.

Post Number: 6
thanks for all the inputs guys. I did end up getting a kicker zx1500. they are actually 1625rms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
be very careful no bass boost and the gain should be up just about 1/4 way i almost cooked my 08 15" l7s with this amp and if you can get a hold of a signal driver your amp will run more efficiently to.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2420
If I'm not mistaken, the ZX1500.1 is 2 ohm stable and you have dual 4 ohm subs. I think you made a boo boo.

Kevin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
he should be fine. i ran mine at 1 ohm accidently but i had 10 gauge speaker wire so it added about half ohm resistance and the amp never clipped once

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought if you are running kicker L712D4's, in parallel to a kicker 1500.1 it draws a two ohm load. I could be mistaken though.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2056
"he should be fine. i ran mine at 1 ohm accidently but i had 10 gauge speaker wire so it added about half ohm resistance and the amp never clipped once"

That makes no sense^^^^ Don't listen to him.

If it's not too late, cancel that order or return the amp. It's going to cost alot of $$$ to properly run that amp in your situation. H3ll my car couldn't handle my zx750.1 @ 1 ohm, but it handles my AQ1200D awesome! I don't think adding a battery will help you much in this case, you might need a HO alternator as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
well bro aparently no one here knows how to add or calculate ohms law. so learn something. if he is running a total of 4 4 ohm coils he will have a load of 1 ohm how ever wire lenght wire quality/gauge and terminal connections can add resistance as in my case it did equaling a 1.5 ohm load. i ran my zx1500.1 on a 1.5 ohm load no problem and it was maxing out my 15's so unless you ve run this set up dont post.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2057
"well bro aparently no one here knows how to add or calculate ohms law. so learn something. if he is running a total of 4 4 ohm coils he will have a load of 1 ohm how ever wire lenght wire quality/gauge and terminal connections can add resistance as in my case it did equaling a 1.5 ohm load. i ran my zx1500.1 on a 1.5 ohm load no problem and it was maxing out my 15's so unless you ve run this set up dont post."

I'm not challenging Ohms Law, I'm saying that if your speaker wire and terminals added 0.5 ohms, then your install was sh!t. Do you think his electrical will handle 1500+w anyways? Probably not. And please stop recommending where people should set their gain controls at, but I'm sure you have the same HU/EQ as him too huh?

Post Number: 7
sorry, I forgot to update the info, I got the 2ohm L7 instead of the 4ohm.
my setup is:
two08s12L72andzx1500.1
mine amp set at 0 bass boost and 1/4gain. 50hz cross-over

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
well then your fine man series the coils and parallel the subs thats a 2 ohm load. oh and raise your crossover to about 80. twelves are able to take those frequencies

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3827
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22

I would atleast upgrade stock wiring to bigger gauge.(0gauge)

Post Number: 8
any recommendation? with a link would be helpful. thanks

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8817
" I'm saying that if your speaker wire and terminals added 0.5 ohms, then your install was sh!t. "

X2

If your wire terminals add any measurable amount of resistence your install is sh!t

Post Number: 9
well, I got the L7s in a pre-wired kicker box with only one positive and one negative on the box. I just hooked them onto the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
well i dont use speaker terminals i use bolts. and not ever sub is the xact impedance as stated on the box it can be off by a half or less. and the impedance changes as the speaker moves in and out. so yes its possible to have achieved 1.5 ohm with my install and i dont do garbage
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us