How much is too much?

Silver Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 108
Since the car audio bug bit me back in high school, I've had several system installed in a variety of vehicles, each time moving up the ladder to bigger and better things.

Started w/ 2 Audiobahn Alum12's with Audiobahn 2800E amp. Loud, sounded good (IMO), turned heads. I still found myself upgrading the system in my next vehicle with beefier subs and amp (from Audiobahn).

This has been the case for the last several years until I've arrived upon my current system, and RE SX12 w/ 2 Diamond Audio 8's, with over 1500w amp output, and bass so loud it hurts.

At what point does one throw in the towel? I realize my system is peanuts compared to others. I honesty feel the tingling sensation I get right at the ear drums when playing certain songs is not safe.

Is anything more a waste? Or is it just for competitions? Just wondering, please throw out your justifications for the uber sound system, and those with > SPL than what I have.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8583
I played around in the SPL world for a bit, only to return to my original school of thought: It don't matter how loud it is if it doesn't sound good.

Now I have an SQ system.

my .02

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5677
same here.. my jetta would play music at 150.7db :-) .. just too loud to enjoy

now its all sq

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 110
I had a Jetta before my truck that would make the bass shine. Had to fold one of the seats down, but when I did, it was just too loud to listen to.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18569
Ask yourself if you're a music lover or basshead. If all you're after is turning more heads at decent comps then there's a whole new world out there. A very expensive one at that. If you're looking for something to expand your love for the sound then consider the SQ side of it and attack it from there.

I'm always reading about those who conquered bass, then came back to the SQ side of the force. Pure sound violence and definition are completely different animals. Ask yourself what you want next.

Silver Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 115
To be honest I'm a basshead that respects sound quality, and wants to be able to hear when I'm 40. So the further prospects of increased SPL is unlikely. Can these low frequencies damage hearing?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1566
Honestly with my truck it was getting to the point where it wasn't always enjoyable to sit in. The pressure on your ears on those sub 30hz notes messed with me. I know it did 155+ with the windows down at 32hz, so I'm sure it was in the 150s down in the 20 some hz range too.
The damage to my vehicle as far as irritating rattles is frustrating, as well as the cost to fix my power windows, sun roof, and other panels. The ringing in my ears as I try to sleep isn't fun either.

I think I'm about at the end of my SPL days and going back towards maybe 1 18 or something. It isn't too much until you get tired or hurt yourself from it :-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8784
"Is anything more a waste? Or is it just for competitions? Just wondering, please throw out your justifications for the uber sound system, and those with > SPL than what I have."

It's great for the shock value, surprising people and seeing the looks on their faces can be priceless. Aside from it not sounding good and getting you tickets it has it's expensive nature. I do love the feeling of a powerful system though and that's something SQ can't do :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14245
i come to point a while back that there is such a thing as too much ...honestly unless ur hearing is going u really dont need any sub more than 1000wrms for daily use (i really want to say 500wrms but i know most ppl wont agree)

u know u have too much when after a few songs banging hard that ur ears r fatigued after 10-15mins ....

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1477
x2^
1 kilowatt is plenty of substage. if you cant get bass to loud for normal listening off of 1k then you have either sh1tty install, sh1tty box, or sh1tty subs, or your amp isint really 1k rms or any of the above combined.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18579
In my day if you 500w you were considered the almighty. We didn't even worry about the car's electrical. Today however when you have ppl running (or trying to run) 1000's or even 10,000+ watts some try to blend SQ with SPL. How do you do that??? Why do that??!! At some point you leave SQ behind and spend more time trying to keep your car together.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3374
SPLz 4 LYFE.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1567
^x2 what Paul said.
The day I took my subs out was the day I realized that there is no such thing as SPL + SQ. You can have an AMAZING front stage, but drown it out with subs and it means nothing.
I was going to run 8k and 2 18s and I decided I don't even need that. 4k is more than enough.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1484
I'm 34 yeard old with a bunch of kids, including a newborn.. A lot of people don't understand why I put so much time and effort into car audio.. I quit trying to explain it to them... I do it because I like it... Always have..
With the equipment available at a decent price, Why not give it h_ell? BUT sometimes, especially recently, The feeling I get when I turn down the bass knob and let my body and ears relax is priceless. It is somjketimes hard to breathe and even see sraight.. When I fiksrt installed this system, I overdid it (overendulged)... For a few days I thought my phone was ringing constantly... Even when I was in the house.. I was releaved when it stopped.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2352

quote:

I realized that there is no such thing as SPL + SQ. You can have an AMAZING front stage, but drown it out with subs and it means nothing.

You can have SPL that also sounds amazing to music. Interchangeable slot port boxes are quite easy to make. I know when I plug one of the ports on my box, the music comes alive. It just depends on your install.

Troy, you should have had a gain knob to turn down so the pressure wouldn't have been so much on music lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1569
I would turn the subs down to 0 and the bass to -12 and while it sounded nice, and fairly smooth too, it sort of was a waste of equipment not to have it up lol. Honestly no matter how you look at it prolonged exposure to 150+ db music will damage your hearing at some point. Nothing compares to the feeling of your hair moving, your vision bluring, and your chest constricting as you feel the air sucked in and put of your lungs with bass.
But a nice balanced sound is so calming and orgasmik in comparison lol.

I had interchangable ports and it was always loud. A 25hz tone that overpowers the mids and shakes the plastic panels is just as irritating as one that does it at 50hz.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 462
Im 15 and i am in the spl stage, winning my first competition 3 months ago, all i am saving up for is a different car and equipment to build myself the ultimate spl vehicle. and im sick of explaning to people why i like bass so much, or in fact car audio, but i just do. im sure ill eventually get into the sq side or car audio :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18590
I'm 37. Been out of car audio for........ok we'll just say a few years.

Had the setups in my day. Spent entire Friday paychecks on gear I tried to get installed on that Saturday. Went through prefab boxes one after the other. Learned to build my own and peaked out on a 12" pair of Kenwoods in the back of my 1988 Camaro.

Today, after marriage, two kids and a divorce I'm stuck with my bass at home in my HT setup. It may not be everyone's evolution but it sure was mine.

Now if I can only get the Camaro back.........

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 467
since its almost the same topic, whats the scale for the amount of dbs you can handle before injury occurs?

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2307
I have no prefferance to any SIDE

Long as it Hits the lows like a 50 pound hammer hits Frogs (idk lol)

I like to be loud, but be able to shake everything

I had that TSX and loved the feeling when it got low.

Now I have 2 18s I cant wait to feel that especially in a wagon

BTW im 20

Gold Member

Post Number: 1573
I'm 22 and getting tired of it. The only people that really seem impressed or to care at all are azzles. I realize if I make that generalization, people are thinking that about me too :-(

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14262
^some ppl take yrs to realise that

nobody can deny when u get ur car & want music u want it loud as u can to impress ppl & just to feel that crazy bass but that only for a moment meanwhile ur fooking up ur ears trying to go louder & louder

i ran a 1 12 1000wrms premier sub in a sizeable box tuned low to about 33hz dropping lower that that too & that had ur voice in my car sounding as if u r in front a fan talking & in ur chest it was pounding so i cant honestly see y ppl need 2 15s with 5k watts of power for daily

what good is too much bass when its uncomfortable to ur ears\body ...these days im running only 2 10s RE SE sealed & its silky smooth blending in bass ...i even have a bass level control ran off to my front seat so i can turn it down if need be ...i only boom if i go to an occasional carshow & i have another box set which i just switch in for that day only & its back out next day after the show ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us