So I wanna add another 18-- couple questions

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1452
I will soon be getting the RD5750(@.5 ohm) for the 2-18 Alphas v.2.. Now adding another enclosure to the exsisting setup will bve tricky... I want to avoid throwinbg the box I just built away..
Question#1/ Would it be a bad thing to build an add-on to the exsisting box porting it with areoports? Keepo in mind that my exsisting box is slot ported(sub up, port back)
The 3rd 18 would be sub angled towards front of vehicle with port back. (Basically a triangle shaped box coming off the top of my exsisting box down to my seatbacks(which are folded down permanately-for obvious reasons) I would have to make new box wider by 5 in. or so to put areaports rear facing.l.Hope that makes sense..
I would be powering the new sub with a rd 3250 @1 ohm..

Would it be easier to scrap the old box and wall it out with 3-18's?
If so common chamber would be out due to amp configurations, right?

Befor this is done my 300 amp alt and another svr batt will be installed...

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreiciated...

Mark

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 887
that is an awsome amp!
what r u going to have to power the 5750?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1453
ummmm- what?

the 5750 will power the 2 exsisting 18's(@.5 ohm)

the 3250 would power the new 18(@1 ohm)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3369
I dont know if i would mix the amps up like that Mark.. Why not just get 3 3250s?

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3370
Also draw up the box... Im so lost.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1454
truth be knownb Jake... I am getting such a good deal on the 5750.. I dont wanna pass it up! lol
Also, If I get the 5750(same exact subs and amp that Steve Miller was using and hitting 152's on music) and am satisified with the output, I wont need a 3rd 18.. Which is likely gonna be the case, but as everyone on here know's.... Just how much is enough... I cant say for sure..

Any one know if i can p/u 2-3250's for around $700 or so?

Give me some time to draw up what i'm talking about with the boxes... I've got a newborn that is keeping me busy.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2562
I agree with Jake i wouldnt use 3250.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10459
talk to scott s on here and see if he still has his two 3250s for sale

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3371
I can only imagine how low hes selling you the 5750 for, hah. My point is i wouldnt mix up 2 different amps. the 5750 @ .5 ohm will not put out the same power as the 3250 @ 1ohm. The one sub will be seeing more power plus it sounds like the box might be changed alot...

BE CAREFUL! 2 18s and 5kw is crazy enough anyways.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8559
The only way to do it right is to build a new box..... you never want subs in different boxes, or with different ports, etc that all has a huge effect on the sound. It would essentally be like running 2 different subs.

And agreed with jake, don't run different amps together on the subs.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 452
strap the amps together and then run it at 1 ohm and wall that b!tch

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 218
Mark are u willing to sell your box? if u get your 3rd Alpha?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14221
2 18s !? - wtf

this gotta be for spl comps right ? ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1457
Rovin- Daily and comps.. It is not a f@rt box by any means... But I want some good numbers none the less. Not to mention that i'll likely not be satisfied with what ever I decide. I will eventually upgrade something.. I will have to be upgrading my mids/highs soon. They are doing what they can to keep up with the 2-18's w/o distortion.

Quentin.. This box is for 18's (as you know) Why would you want it? It wouldn't be right for your 15's(tuning and port wise)..

So basically when I get the 5750 I limit my options unless I want another 5750 or sell the 5750 and buy a few 3250's.. That poses a problem.. I have to bank on being satisfied with 2-18's on 5k.. Definately food for thought.. Thanks. Still looking for any other comments or suggestions..

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
yea i know its for 18"s i would just like to have it if u get a new box lol

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1285
i think 2 18s on 5-6K is more than enough for daily

why not build a box for comps?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10632
How much total room do you have in width in this vehicle?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1465
"yea i know its for 18"s i would just like to have it if u get a new box lol"

lol, Y?

"How much total room do you have in width in this vehicle?"

W-50"
D-50"
H-27"
all 3 approx
Whatcha thinkin' Sean?

"i think 2 18s on 5-6K is more than enough for daily

why not build a box for comps?"

i feel ya, but how would 3-18's on 9K or so sound, lol
If I was gonna go straight spl I wouldn't have went with the Alpha's... I want some SQ and to be able to hit a broader array of Freq's. UNLESS, I went with an interchangable port design..Hint,hint...lol I am a decent boxbuilder but I would not dare to tackle that job, w/o some serious help from only a select few people.(cough-cough-Canaan-cough-cough)lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10633
I was trying to see how you could fit the 3rd 18 in there but im glad you answered with the rest of the dimensions because I should have asked for it to begin with to get a better idea how to fit all of them in there. Why not knock out part of your original box and add a third 18 in front of the other two and keep the port firing back like you have it and add more port area to lower the tune again to where you want it. You could also run the 3250 if you matched it power wise per 18 but your going to need a lot of electrical support.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1468
This box is built like a TANK... I think knocking out anything is outta the question... That is why I was looking at an add-on instead.. I am in a quandry about what to do next... I guess get the 5750,alt and batt. and see where
I stand.. what do yall think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1469
how about 2-rd5750's strapped at 1.34 ohm on 3-18's? That could also be a possibility..

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
if i ever get some 18" i'll have a box or i can put it in my friends truck

Gold Member

Post Number: 1470
touche'

Gold Member

Post Number: 1471
okay... this question goes out to M.S. and Sean...

Say I have the 2-18's on the 5750 @.5 ohm in exsisting box tuned to 35 hz(slot port).
I add a 3rd 18 in a seperate box(add-on) tuned to 35 hz(slot or aeroport) also rear facing . Say I'm running it with the 3250 @ 1 ohm. Seeing that it is a seperate chamber does it really matter that the power/sub is different as long as the sub can take the power? Couldn't I cut the gain back a lil for daily on the 3rd 18? Or even disconnect it when not needed. Or would the loss of dB's by it not being common chambered be enough to scrap that idea for a wall or 3-18 common chamber box with 2-5750's stapped at 1.34ohm. If I go that route I would want an interchangable port box(daily and f@rt) that still looks clean and mean.lol

Please help me decide what to do next with this setup..

Thanks in advance..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8574
It matters b/c regardless of what subs are in what box, if you run different amps the output of all 3 will never be exactly the same.... which = cancellation.

" a wall or 3-18 common chamber box with 2-5750's stapped at 1.34ohm. "

Thats works so long as your subs can be wired to the correct impedance.

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 889
what! 3250s! for how much! !!!! i am about to get mad... yesterday i ordered a pair of 1750s.............. i so would have took those 3250s off ur hands. talk to me on myspace. maybe i can figure something out

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10635
I personally dont think youll have cancellation if the amps are set for each sub to have the same power. I mean setting the amps with a dmm will set them the same voltage wise so how could it be off. Doing seperate chambers could throw things off response wise some and im not sure if your talking about firing the sub a different direction than the other subs but that would be bad too. Using two different port types would also not be good. Even your port being in a different location than the other two could throw things off some. Having said all that I wouldnt do the third 18 unless you build a new box to house all three. Also are you sure you want to do this since you already broke a support for your roof.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1476
I'm just gonna have to see how I like the 18's on the 5750 and go from there..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us