Would appreciate help with choosing a sub

Username: Indyvdub

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 5
Hello there,

I'm helping my buddy put together a system in his new Jeep Commander and would like some assistance with choosing a subwoofer. I believe he's going to stick with a single 12" but it could end up being a pair. The amp he's going to use is an Eclipse XA1000 that specs at 400 watts rms into a 2ohm mono load (he will add a second one of these if he decides to use two subs).

He wants it to be an SQL sub with more of a bias towards the SPL side. He's definitely into playing the system loud as hell pretty much all the time. Listens to mainly rap and alternative rock. Space is a minor concern, but he's gonna have to lay one of the third row seats down permanently anyway to add a sub at all. Also, budget is probably around 200-250 for just the sub. Overall, we just need some suggestions for subs (within the budget) that will really excel with that 400 watts and give plenty of deep, powerful SPL while retaining decent sound quality as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 6
bump

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1668
audioque sdc 2.5
dc audio lv 2 or 3
rd audio studio

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the help scott. I looked at the audioque and rd subs, but I couldn't find a website for the dc audio sub. Where can I find them online (or can I)? I like the audioque sub, looks pretty nice and the price is killer. I'm curious to hear any other suggestions people have.

I had also considered the Image Dynamics IDQ V3 and JL W3v3 or W6v2. Any thoughts on these? Also, does Ascendant Audio still make nice subs? I remember their Atlas subs, and others, were really popular when I used to be a member on here back in early 2005. Any thoughts on their current offerings? Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1669
www.dcsoundlab.com
aa still is around i am not that familiar with there product tho.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 318
All good subs, but if your looking for a good deal stay away from the JL (you can buy better for the same price).

Here's the DC website http://www.dcsoundlab.com/home.html

If he really doesn't care much about sq look into DD audio. Also, why 12s? has he considered focusing his budget on one 15?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14217
i can vouch for the DC L3 12 - did i for somebody & it hit 139.8dbs even though the box was tuned to 34hz ...

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 8
Thanks guys. I'll look into the DC sub. Ben, 12" is what we've been looking at for a few reasons. Space (box size) is an obvious concern and also I just feel like a 12 offers a great balance between output and control. He certainly does care about the quality of sound, he just prefers a sub with more emphasis on output. Maybe like a 60-65/40-35 split. Don't think the DD is the route we want to go, but very nice sub indeed. Is anyone else familiar with the newer Ascendant Audio stuff? Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5661
RE SE

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 9
Yeah the RE subs are certainly contenders. Jack, given what I'm looking for and the 400 watts it'll get, how do you think the SE compares to say the audioque sdc 2.5 and the dc sound level 3? For that matter, how does the IDQ v3 compare to these also (if you've even had a chance to listen to it yet)? Anyone else can jump in on this too. I want as much input as possible.

Also, does everyone else feel like the above options are all better than the JL offerings? The 12w6v2 would cost me about $250. What do the 12" DC Sound level 3 subs typically cost? Thanks again guys.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14231
hmm for 400wrms id rec a sub rated less than that like the RE SR series rated at 300wrms or american bass XO

http://www.americanbassusa.com/front/showcontent.aspx?fileid=57

i heard 1 recently tuned around 38hz & it sounded pretty good for a small power sub ...

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4374
I second the AB subs. Heard some in a sealed box. Sounded very clean...and also did a 142....

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 959
isn't the XA1000 a little underrated though? I thought a saw a birth sheet for one somewhere that put it around 480wrms, though that may have been at 14.4vlts.

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 14
Not really sure Gavin. It's my buddy's amp and to be honest I'm not really that familiar with any of eclipse's non head unit stuff. It's cheap and that's why he's running it. Certainly not my choice, but he's not into the SQ side (or spending money to get good stuff side) nearly as much as I am.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 961
Did some quick research and the XA1000 is rated at 480wrms @ 2ohms, but that's at an ideal voltage of 14.4vlts. doesn't really change anything pertaining to the woofers suggested so far though, i was just kind of thinking out loud. carry on..lol.

and just for reference, though its one of my favorite woofers, i'd say the 12w6v2 is a very SQ oriented woofer, so maybe not the perfect choice since you said he was looking more for SPL.

Bronze Member

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 15
Thanks for insight Gavin. Yeah the JL is probably more my style than his. He does want something that has respectable sound quality but the spl side is probably a bit more important. Def doesn't want some purpose built spl only sub though. He does intend to use this for "music".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us