How much audible difference in tuning? 33 vs. 38 hz

Username: Benner410

Post Number: 9
So the guy who built my box for me made it 33hz and everyone is telling me I should have gone 38hz because it will be louder. In reality, just how much difference is actually noticeable between 5hz?

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2330
depending on the song and the resonant frequency of your vehicle it may be quite a bit louder actually

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1288
apples and oranges in a lot of cases

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 2332
quick thread jack good lookin out with that sub P.rick it still bumps pretty loud for a single 12

Post Number: 10
Well the setup is an AQ HDC312 + AQ1200D amp in 2.5cuft @33hz. Someone told me that it's not going to be loud at all with a 33hz tune.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 2334
AQ and DD subs aren't popular for their low end so tuning higher will certainly help out IMO

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10453
"Someone told me that it's not going to be loud at all with a 33hz tune."

It will still be loud.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The only high-end sub I've heard in person was a 13w7 powered by a jl 1000/1. Would this be semi-comparable?

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 2335
not even close the W7 is more of an SQL sub while the AQ is geared more towards SPL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
What about spl-wise? Could the AQ take the W7 in spl?

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 2336
the AQ can handle alot more power and in the right enclosure it should easyly be louder than the w7

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
great news! thanks! I went with 1200 watts because of my stock electrical (didn't want to upgrade yet). I hope I can still be pretty loud with only 1200 watts. :S

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4364
I installed my friends hd315 in a small enclosure because he wanted a little bass before his new box would come in. Well, the box was too small and tuned to low, low 30's. And it sounded like crap. IMO, that sub can't be tuned that low, it sounds so much like crap i was pissed. Well, once he got his new box in 3.8cuft @ 38hz or so, it made a huge difference.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1289
good to hear ray

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4587
Now if the thread question was: "How do you suck dick?", all of you could offer some expert opinions. But it doesn't ask that, it asks a technical question, so all you nOObs need to stfu and gtfo

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2049
Brad woke up on the wrong side of the coffee table today.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 2337
Dayum John, Brad just PWNED you

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10454
Lol I don't quite see how I got "PWNED" on account of my comment is quite subjective. Besides, both Brad and I know that he could never pwn me. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2304
Personaly prferecne

Depends on what you like, and what you want.

Do want to focus on Low Bottom end tune to 32hz

if you want to be louder on the mic,
38hz

Best and easiest way to put it, but theres many variables to this

and 1200 watts is alot, unless its a Sony Xplod amp plz tell me you dont run one of those :-(

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14205
if u been around systems a while & ur ears r still good , a 5hz difference is alot

depends on the sub since some subs dont perform on too low tuning like DD for example where as others like type R or RE susb sound IMO like crap tuned high

geneally speaking higher tuned = louder but u lose some quality ...

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 552
Rovin, How high of a tuning would you consider too high for 2 12" type-r's?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14213
had a pair of those & i def wuld not cross more than 38hz since u lose the SQ , for SQL 35hz ,for SQ i had mine to 32hz & that sh!t got loud & hit all the lows tripping off alarms even when i tried em in a sealed box too ...

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 553
The only reason I asked is because I currently have my 2 12"s in a box tuned to 35hz before sub displacement and I'm pretty happy with it, but i wanted to get a little louder and really only rap or anything else with low bass sounds really good. I lose a lot of bass in like rock music, so I was thinking about tuning to 37hz with aeros. you dont think it will lose too much SQ and sound like trash do you?

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2305
Make Intechangble ports, with PVC pipe,

easiest way it to do external ports, and switch between 2 differt or 3(if you want) and sealed plug

I know a guy who did to his DDs first in person view of Interchangable ports

Bronze Member
Username: Mario_silva

COATZACOALCOS, VERACRUZ MEXICO

Post Number: 29
Go 40Hz you will be pleased...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well I contacted DJ at Audioque, and he designed a box for me. THAT'S true customer service lol. It's 2.3cuft at 38hz. Should sound really good. It's an elongated design, width=19", height=14", depth=24", double baffled + flush mount. We'll see how it turns out!

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

You forum mods are a b..., Try sucking ... US

Post Number: 4834
I have a box with interchangeable ports and started with a 30hz port. I found that the 30 sounded the best BUT not there aren't to many selections of music out there that dips into that range. I also noticed it used a lot more power then at higher frequency. I then tried 35 and 40. 40 of course being loudest and had the hardest punch the 35 sounded the better and had enough loudness. I have a small box so under moderate power there is still enough loading for me to run the HP at 30hz without any ill effects. I wouldn't try it with larger boxes and or port area. Polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us