Question about running one dvc sub with two amps

Username: Indyvdub

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend set up his system and he wants to power a dual voice coil sub with two amps (one amp hooked up to each voice coil). My question is whether or not this is recommended, and what do we need to pay attention to during setup (as far as things like matching gain settings, etc.)? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 2
bump

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1627
If these are strappable mono amps it might be doable - depending on the impedance of the subs.

If they're not strappable, but identical amps it could at least be an interesting experiment.

If they're non-strappable amps and aren't identical it would be an experiment that might cost you an amp, or a sub, or both.

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply Optidriven. The sub would be an ID Max 12 with dual 2ohm voice coils. The amps would be Eclipse XA1000s, each putting out 400 watts @ 2ohms mono. I'm sure they're not strappable but could you clarify what that means? They would be identical but only as much as a mass produced amp can get if you know what I mean.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2540
I've done it with a NINe.4 but it was slightly different. I bridged the rear channels, bridged the front channels, and matched the gains. Then checked again to make sure the gains were matched. It worked fine. I'm not sure I'd want to do it permanently though. Very slight differences in amplitude might be alright for a short time but after a while your sub might fall apart. I'm no expert but that's my guess.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1632
strapping is the same as bridging, but instead of bridging two channels you bridge two amps.
It doesn't look like the xa1000 is specifically designed to be strapped, but I think you'd be ok running an amp on each coil as long as you follow Cam's suggestion and make sure each amp is set up as close to the same as possible.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5514
you SHOULD set your gain with a DMM
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us