New HU; Now Ready For New Subs.

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 219
Alright, so I have a 4G Eclipse, and I just bought be a Pioneer F90bt, and I should be putting that in myself Monday or Tuesday. Currently have 2 Alpine 10" Type-S and a Alpine MRD-M605 amp wired to a LOC to my stock HU. I am wanting to buy a new sub. Right now I am running around 600rms, I like it. Yeah it's low end Alpine, but the SQ is pretty good to me running off MP3 cd's. My new HU, I will be using my ipod with ipod controls from the HU, and SQ is the most important thing to me. I am looking for a SINGLE 12" to run in a custom SEALED box. My trunk has a squared hump in it, and if you have ever seen the trunk in an eclipse you know what im talking about...it rises up about 4 inches, and extends the width of the trunk. its about 5 inches away from the backseats, so what I am wanting to do is make a box that will fit down in that gap and extend over it, so basically that hump will hold the box in place. I want to do a sealed box, probably anywhere from 1 to 1.8 cu ft. Yeah, not a whole lot to work with.

Few I been looking at:
-Apline Type-X 12"
-DD3512 [May do in ported box tuned to 40hz]
-HDC312

Maybe good choices, maybe not. All I know is that my 2 type-s 10"s in a seal box hit about 131.2db measured from the dash with a handheld meter, and I figured a single 12" in a sealed box pushing 1000-1200rms should hit 140-145...or am I wrong on this? Anyway, loud and clean is good. Deep is good, but honestly I don't listen to anything with deep deep bass. Mostly rock, alt, metal. Occasionally rap or bass testers just to hear subs at full potential.

Anyone know of that 'perfect sub' that is just for me? Amp wise, I been looking at AQ1200D and figured that for under $250 would be a great amp for any set up running 1000-1200rms, right?

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1278
hand held meters are completely inaccurate but out of those id do the DD ported

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 220
Yeah, I am aware that meter is wrong...but the point of me mentioning the meter is that I should get a 10-15 db according to that, right? But yeah...how big of a box do you think the DD would need to be ported?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6584
sq is the most important yet using an ipod?

for single 12", i'd say look into a id idmax, ssa icon, fi q. maybe a pair of idqs'?

and out of the three you posted i'd say the type x.

Username: Tylersliva

St.Ignace, Mi U.S.

Post Number: 8
well id say if u want to save some money it would get 2 12" alpine type r... they sound really good in ported and sealed boxes

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 221
ctmike: I knew someone would come back with the "SQ and iPod? wtf is this guy thinking." Well maybe you understood that wrong, but I am not saying I am looking for top of the line, utmost best ever uber SQ. But I don't want some SPL woofer that is just loud and not sounding to good. Like my friend, pair of 12" L5. Great bass, but I hate them and I personally think they sound like sh!t. That's just me, Then again, recall that I am saying 2 Alpine Type-S sound's great to me also. I have never heard of the idmax or ssa icon. Have heard of the fi q...but could you give me estimated price on those? Or maybe website? Thanks

tyler sliva: I have thought about 2 Type-R but then I would need what, 2-2.5 cu ft? It's still a thought, but I have been thinking about a single 12...or maybe dual 10" Type-R.

Still open to suggestions, got about 2 week's before I order new sub(s).

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6588
www.imagedynamicsusa.com - for the idamxs' and idqs'.

www.soundsolutionsaudio.com - for the icon.

maybe want to try a mach5 ixl also.
www.mach5audio.com

as for prices, www.woofersetc.com is a id dealer so you can go there to check those out. the icon and the mach5 ixl can both be bought from ssa through their store, or you can order the ixl directly through mach5.

any of the ones i just posted are better than the type r, imo.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 223
Well I think I am gonna go with a Type-X 12". and either a 1200d or a MRD-M1005. [which do you think would be better? or maybe suggest another amp].

Also, I know a Type-X is rated 500-1000rms, and could easily handle the 1200rms the 1200d would throw at it, and the M1005 is a 1000rms, so that would match up nicely. Still running stock alt which is rated 110A. You think I could run 1000-1200rms with stock alt and stock wiring? 4 guage power/ground run for amp? Or would Big 3 be required?

Also, which would sound better...single 12" type X in sealed, or ported.

To me:
SQ > Deepness > loudness.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us