Still having electrical issues

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1461
ok so i now have my stock battery up front a deka 9A31 in the trunk and a 200 amp alt. 1/0 big three and between batts and all grounds.

im only running a xd2000 and my headlights still dim really bad and my amp still goes into protect for low voltage, whats the problem?

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1258
is the alt tested fine? good ground? gain set correctly?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10605
Where is your ground? If its to the chassis its only good for up to 4AWG wires limit (which is 120 amps I believe) even if your using 1/0.

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1259
so sean your saying he should run the ground to the front bat?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10606
Yes

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10608
I found one of Glasswolfs posts on the subject. It was one of his posts where I learned this a while back. It was probably this one.

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-3714.html

Glasswolf...."as for ground points, sanded bare metal works well but in today's world of spot and pinch welds and unibody subframes on cars, your typical car's resistance through the body is about equiv to 4AWG wire. If you're drawing over 200A of current through the wiring, sometimes you are better off to run the ground with 0AWG or larger back to the battery's negative terminal instead of keeping it short and at the amp. While it may require longer runs and thus larger wiring, the trick to this is to relocate the battery to the rear of the car so only the alternator-to-battery line needs to be run the length of the car. This is essentially the way my Charger is set up using 0AWG from engine and 300A alternator to the trunk, where the batteries are kept isolated, near the amps so I can keep a shorter overall wiring run, and carry more current through a unibody car."

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1444
so what if one batt is under hood and one is in back(non isolated)? which battery would i connect the ground to? And does it have to be isolated?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1462
under the hood my battery and alternator ground connect at the negative grounding post under my hood. essentially my alternator chassis is connected to my battery negative via 1/0. i have a run of 1/0 from the alt pos to the battery. the pos of both batts are linked via 0/1 w/250 amp fuse.

in the trunk the pos and neg of the batt is connected to the pos and neg of the amp and the battery is grounded to the floor of the trunk sanded to bear metal and bolted down.

are you saying i should connect my battery ground's together w/ a run of 1/0 instead of having the rear battery bolted to the chassis.

my alt hasn't been tested but its relatively new. its got a lifetime warranty from MCR. ive heard mostly good things about their alts so i doubt thats the issue. both battery's are under 6 months as well.

Gain was set using a dmm and i set it up so i have to turn the volume all the way up to 62 to hit max power which i never do and i still have the problem the problem happens as low as 55 for some songs

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1261
i think it was zac davis who was saying recently NOT to set your gain by dmm that it was inaccurate you may wanna look into that

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10612
Mark Brockman...."so what if one batt is under hood and one is in back(non isolated)? which battery would i connect the ground to? And does it have to be isolated?"

and Mark Scafetta

Glasswolfs overall goal seems to be run less wire length and minimizing the ground to chassis losses so whatever acomplishes this goal is whats best for you. Im not sure what you mean by does it have to be isolated but I do want to say batteries arent my area of experience other than what I see in my brothers spl tests so other than that its plain reasoning skills and what I might learn from you or others on this thread. I just remembered reading about the chassis from one of glasswolfs posts and I figured sharing that info would help Mark Scafetta.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1464
i hope it helps its gonna be a pita running another run of 1/0 from the trunk to under the hood but that seems like its the only weak point in my setup.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10614
I think it will help.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8547
Run the ground wire between the 2 batteries, and ground the amp to the battery in the back.

Thats the first thing to try

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1465
i have the amp grounded to the battery in the trunk. but my battery crounds arent connected yet.
thats what im going to do after that all of my electrical will be a complete parallel circuit of 1/0.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 188
same thing is happening to me 12.5v?
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2034
Guys. You have to run multiple runs of 0/1 if you want good voltage.

I have 3 positive and 3 negative runs from my front battery to my back bank.

200amp alt and 6 kinetiks.

I try to get it to drop and cant.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8740
"i think it was zac davis who was saying recently NOT to set your gain by dmm that it was inaccurate you may wanna look into that"

The only way using a DMM to set gains to be accurate is if you're only using the signal that you used to set the gains with. If you use a different source your gain levels will be off.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1466
good call so i sound set my gain using a test tone from my ipod if thats what i listen to instead of the cd player?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1564
More wire. I had 4 alternators and adding 2 additional wires (1 positive one ground) I gained a db or so, and my voltage sat much nicer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
@Andrizzle "multiple runs" i'm about to do another run 1/0 of + should i do a run of - too? i just got it grounded in the back no runs??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2037
forget grounding to chassis in the back.

This is how mine is set up. And it works really well.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
ok i'll run a 1/0 ground when i get my truck fix. will one run of both do it or should i do 2 or 3 runs of both. Thanks Andrizzle

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
never mind i got 100' of 1/0 coming in so i'll do 3 runs of both

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
@Andrizzle is ur setup Fused? i don't see any in ur pix.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2039
Nope. No fuses. Screw rsistance! :]

IMO, as long as you know what you're doing, fusing isnt necessary

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
so its better not to use fuses. my setup is going to look just like yours but just two 3100

Gold Member

Post Number: 2042
My deck skips before I can drop below 13.5

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
i'm using my ipod so no skip hehe

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18