System Cutting Out/Alternator Problem?

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 65
I'm running a 13w7 off of a 1000/1 and focal components and coaxials off of a JL 300/4. Optima Yellow Top battery, stock alternator.

Lately, I've been having a problem with my system cutting out suddenly at high volume. It's been installed in my car for about 18 months now and has never had this problem before. Originally I thought maybe it could be a loose connection or something. But I've noticed that when it happens, the "Power" light on the 1000/1 shuts off and the "Low V" light comes on.

I'm pretty sure this means my alternator must be fried, but just looking for some clarification. Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2427
My guess would be,your flux capacitor is bad. I would suggest buying a new one and make sure you can give it a clean 1.21 gigawatts.

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 67
I was actually looking for a serious answer, thanks. Sorry if I'm not an audiophile-grade car audio expert. That's actually why I was posting here.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1887
Could be the problem as I assume "low V" means Low Voltage, I would get your battery tested as well as your alt.

I had a similar problem and it was my battery and I assume a yellow top should be able to withstand that especially with you car running......

Turn your stereo off and all things electrical (lights, heater...etc) get a digital mulit meter and see what your running at when yoru car idles, should be 13.5+ volts or so.

If your lower than that at idle, your alt is toast.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1442
just about ant auto parts store can test your alt and battery for free1

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8545
Yeah except 99% of them don't do it right.

New battery and HO alternator will fix it, the problem is one or the other but you should really have both.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us