Problem with system

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 434
I have two Nine.1 powering two alphas. I had to remove the box from my trunk a couple of days ago. One of the amps is on the sub box so it was also disconnected and removed. While I was hooking the amp back up today the ground wire touched the power inlet on the amp. There was a spark between the wire and amp. I continued to install everything anyways. Now when I turn up the volume past about half way the sub cut in and out then if I continue higher the mids and highs cut in and out.
The rear battery has been on a trickle charge all day. All fuses are good. I have double checked wiring. Could I have damaged the amp even though the green light is on? What is going on?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1286
you should of really disconnected the negative cord on the battery so no power was live. You might of done some damage to the amp.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 436
Yes, I know, to late though. Does it sound like I did damage to the amp even though it powers on. the bass doesn't hit like it use to as well. Sounds so much like a charging problem to me. But even having charged the rear battery all day, it still cuts out.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1287
I couldn't tell ya. sorry. Some other people should have suggestions though.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 437
Mike, Help please.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 2819
And the award for most usless post of the day goes to..

"I couldn't tell ya. sorry. Some other people should have suggestions though."

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2726
seems like something internally could be the issue .. crack open the 9.1 and see if u have any burned up fets ...

very easy to spot .. and the amp should be under warranty from ed

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 438
Will do in the morning. thanks mike.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 2820
FYI, you normally void a warranty by opening the amp. Wouldnt do it if you have a warranty...

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1288
f*ck you capps. Where's your help.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 2821
"FYI, you normally void a warranty by opening the amp. Wouldnt do it if you have a warranty..."

Right there^. If he was planning on opening it but was still covered by warrety, I could have just saved him from having to buy a new one or paying to get it fixed... But I hope you do know I was just f-ing with you anyway snow.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4346
redo the ground. dont just check it, redo it. Sounds like its choking for power. If ground is tite, then i may be the amp, but it should not effect the mids as well. They were not touched? So it has to be a power /ground problem. You may have damaged something up front like the rectifier or alt as well. Sometimes shorts like that can take out the ECM too. Thats why it is always advised to disconnect ground at the bat before working on your system.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1289
yeah i know, I was just playin' too. Dude you were in a dream i had last night, it's weird as sh*t.

Silver Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 191
lmao @ capps.

yes, amp could be damaged, could be something under the hood like he said though, too.

i would unhook everything, (this time disconnect your (-) on your batt. terminal), take it all out, check your wires, and re-wire everything again very slowly and carefully. sometimes this helps it might just be one of those stupid little things that systems do.

if it still is the same, replace your amp's fuses(if any) just to be safe, check your remote stuff on your amp and HU.

eventually you'll figure it out, if not, use tha warranty to your advantage.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8530
LOL at the people saying use the warranty..... 99% of the time user error is not covered.

" Yes, I know, to late though. "

If you know why didn't you do it. People don't say always disconnect battery ground for no reason.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 439
Guys, thanks for the help. Marc made a point that the mids and high amp should not have been affected but the mids and highs do also go in and out. What other fuses are there other than the amp fuses and fuse coming from front battery?
What is the rectifier?
I don't think the alt is damaged. I just drove 14 hours which if the alt was damaged the car should have lost power eventually, right?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4350
sounds like a low power problem. Again redo the grounds. The only fuse should be at the battery supplying the amps. Sometimes those can look ok, but have a loose connection too. if it was ok, you moved things then it broke, you lost connection on either power/ground or both.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 440
I just unhooked the negative wire from the front battery and redid the wiring to the amp I originally removed. Now the mids and highs do not cut out and the subs produce noise but not to the music until they start to cut out at half volume. Now what?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us