Just finished Install...

Bronze Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 98
It's 4:00am and I'm finally done installing everything. Just couldn't call it quits until I witness the fruits of my labor...

I installed the following in a 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab:

** Clarion DXZ585USB HU
** Audiobahn A8002T running 2 Diamond Audio 8" Subs in sealed 0.5cf (each) enclosure. (250 x 2 RMS).
** Audiobahn A16000V running 1 RE SX12 in 2.0cf ported enclosure tuned to 36hz. (900W RMS)
** JBL GTO607C 6.5" Components in Front Doors
** JBL GTO527 5.25" Coaxials in Rear Doors
** 4 Gauge Wiring to Each Amp

After using Audiobahn subwoofers for years, I must say that people weren't lying when they say there's a huge difference in SQ. The RE sub sounds clean, simply amazing in comparison. The frequency response is near perfect and hits lows that were completely absent when using Audiobahns. The single 12" has a 36hz subsonic filter, and LPF set at 80hz. To lower tuning frequency a bit, the sub was mounted inverted with motor structure outside the box.

The Diamond Audio 8" subs are set at 50hz HPF, and 120hz LPF. They add a nice solid foundation of SPL and mid-bass, and don't seem the have any major cancellation issues while running with the 12" RE.

The JBL components and coaxials seem like good speakers for the price. There's not much bass coming from the drivers, but they're more or less in an open-air environment so I suppose that's expected. The tweeters are crisp and bright without being overbearing.

The head unit was really the system's saving grace. Lots of crossover options and EQ settings made for a very clean sounding install. I'm really amazed at what I put together on a budget, I'm thinking it cost less than 1000$ total.

Only major snafu was nearly burning up the truck with a bad ground. I'd just finished everything and had the system cranked in a remote parking lot. I walked a good distance from the truck to hear it from outside, and walked back to see the whole cabin filled with smoke (uh oh).

It turned out that what I thought was a solid ground (bolt at the base of the rear seats), was only being grounded through the latch that allows the rear seatback to fold down. The vibrations caused the ground to go in and out many times per second, turning the latch (which wasn't terribly thick metal to begin with) red hot and smoldering everything around it. If the seats weren't made of leather, I'd probably be looking for a new truck..

Thoughts / comments / suggestions welcome!

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18347
Pics?

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 414
this thread is worthless without pics

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8509
Nice equipment except the audioburn amps.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14181
we need some pix man ....

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2735
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4329
agreed.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4333
Was this your first install? Sounds like a good set up. Grounds are very important. I hope you made a new solid ground.
Your next investment should be an Alarm, if you dont have one all ready. Good luck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18352
Where is Jeremy?

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 99
Please forgive the horrible image quality. Shots were taken in the pitch black, so flash made the pictures look worse than they normally would. Also there was some streaking in some of the images (most notably on the one showing the 8" enclosure) which makes it look like there's scratches which aren't really there.

Enjoy. Interior of this small truck is terribly cramped for room, so 12" sub had to sit on the rear seat, though it mounts nicely with no movement.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18353
There he is!

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 100
This isn't my first install...

But it is the first "decent" install where I really took my time to do things right-- The installation came out great and looks extremely clean. I had the money to buy decent equipment (aside from the A-bahn amps which I already had) and am really impressed with the results.

I did fix the ground by running two pairs of 10 gauge wire from the grounding location to another part of the chassis about a foot away. A temporary fix until I can get some 3 or 2 gauge wire from work and run a single ground.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 415
very nice work

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4335
good good.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2010
Try lowering your SSF on the RE to ~30hz. You should see even more low end then.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us