What Should I Get To Hit 150 DB in a 98 Altima?

98altima
Unregistered guest
i am looking for a loud car stereo, i have about $1400 im willing to spend on subs and amps and i want to hit at least 150 db. ive heard about the brahmas, RE's, and JL 13W7, but im not sure with which to go with, if u know any better ones, please help, thanks

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
more space

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
dont go with JL cause the sub is 900$$ so ud either get a crappy amp that cant push it or run way over buget to have a decent jl 13w7 setup u need that speaker a custom box made for it and a JL 1000/1 amp which costs $1000 alone so itll run u about $2200. u dont need to have JL to be the loudest. i spent 650 on my 2 compvr10s and their boxes and another 200 on an amp, so thats about 850 still under the price of one JL 13w7 alone and mine beat a 13w7 in the back of a blazer at sound advice and it made the guy pissed cause he spent 2000 for his one sub and amp and i spent 850. JL and other subs like it are great but u can get louder for way less.

Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 3
just dont forget the earplugs

Bronze Member
Username: Godemiche

Post Number: 40
JL's are great, but very expensive..
I agree, Kicker comp VR's, you can get 4 of them for under $400....
Match that with 2 JBL 600.1, or 2 Kicker KX400.1 amps (under $500 for both) and hold your balls.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 481
I'd do two Resonant Engineering X.X.X., with at least a JBl 1200.1. No smaller than 12's for SPL. Build a slot ported box identical to the one on their website and you'll be good to go.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 673
or two brahmas or idmax's or juggernauts or DD 9917's lol......

dd 9917's would absolutely blow your mind, even one would...

all these are huge SPL subs

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3409
one of these days I need to compare a 10", 12", 15", and 18" sub from the same brand and model line in their ideal box space, sealed, and measure SPL for each setup in the same car.
then chart the SPL on X, and displacement on Y, and see which of the subs is most efficient for the space required..
find out once and for all if you can hit higher SPL with fewer, larger subs or with more smaller subs given the same amount of enclosure space combined.
That'd be an amusing comparison.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 675
good idea :-)

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 482
Yeah, that'd be great. Let me know if you do.

Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1
ok im not sure if my post went in but ill try again hello all im new here as of today anyway i saw the post from glasswolf i think and wanted to share an idea i had. Its an adjustable subwoofer box that would have removeable face plates to fit an 8 10 12 15 or 18 if you like. then i would make three different boxes one for 1 cubic foot to 2 cubic foot then one for 2 cubic foot to 3 cubic foot then one for 3 cubic foot to 5 cubic foot. why? So i can make them fit to my cars measurements. The boxes would move in and out to whatever air space i wanted and i would mark the air space on the outside of the box. Then for porting i would cut a square out of each box and make a square plate to cover it so if i wanted it sealed i could and cut others out to cover it but cut holes in them to accept say 2 3 or 4 inch port sizes (4 plates altogether). Then i would use these boxes in car as needed and map out the spl with my food for woofers cd which covers 20 to 99 hz one track at a time then use different port lengths and start where i wanted and mark the spl results on paper while using my radio shack digital spl meter to record the numbers but use one constant volume so i can see increase. Now my meter only goes up to 126 db but this is sufficient for test purposes and voltage and amplifier power would be more constant. I do have to be honest though this isnt originally my idea the first time i saw it was at a local car stereo shop a guy whos the installer there and he built one like this but his was adjustable and went up to like 8 cubic feet and he tested with his outside the car using the spl meter and i figured building the boxes for inside the car would give more accurate results. Anyhow i figured id share this cuz testing is cheaper than more amps and more woofers lol and for you glass woof since you seem curious as i am how to acheive the most spl.

ps....i like this one so i wanna share the story theres a guy on a site who used his knowlege of physics i guess to get what i think was a 15 inch pyramid super blue to hit 147 db with 600 watts rms thats a 75 dollar speaker thats supposed to only handle 350 rms i think. I mean i know most woofers can handle up to twice their rated rms power but i didnt think a pyramid super blue 15 could handle 600 rms.

thanks,

in search of bass

98altima
Unregistered guest
alright i think im going to get 2 RE x.x.x 12s or 15s, does anyone know how much those cost? and what kind of box? since its going to be in a 98 altima gxe, do you think i should go with a ported box? and what kind of amp? thx again

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 494
Around 350 for the 12 and around 400 for the 15. Slot ported box, go to www.respl.com and look at tech, then go to enclosures, and dual and it'll give you dimensions for a recommended ported box for those subs.

98altima
Unregistered guest
thx, y shouldent i face the subs toward the cabin and just put the back seat down so all the bass is going strait through the cabin?

98altima
Unregistered guest
or should i just leave them faced toward the rear?

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 115
Leave them facing the rear of the car. And let your backseats down so the bass can flow out of the trunk and into the cabin.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us