OT-> VIsta Users

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4803
So what does your desktop look like? Here is mine, Vista is pretty sweet! Polo..

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8714
To me it looks like you're wasting a sh1t load of resources by running a "full" Vista. :-) You need a hacked version so you're not wasting tons of your ram and processing power.

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

That one, Ohio

Post Number: 420
i was told vista is pointless unless you have a minimum of 4 gigs of ram

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4804
Kevin it ran fine on 1 gig but with everything I like to run takes a full time 800-900 megs so it is on the edge. I have 4 gigs running and it is sweet . I also have two momentus 250G drives, I know it isn't all that impressive but that is all on a 12" notebook. Vista itself isn't bad just the way some of the stuff is implemented, like object transperency (sp) that takes up processor power. There are things you can do but I mainly download music, edit tracks, edit movies and surf the web so I really have no need to break it down. BTW Vista Extreme is really nice the way it is and those gadgets are the sh!t lol. Polo..

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22428
i have been using vista with only 1 gig and i am fine. i even play games like dota and no problem.

was wondering though. if i was to build a pc just to play a bunch of games, should i install windows 98?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1204
or just XP chad. Why don't you try other OS's like ubuntu.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22430
yeah xp would be good. but i just remember the games used to run soooooo smooth on windows 98.

i will check out ubuntu snow.thanks bud.

i was thinking of getting a ps3 or xbox 360 but since they have guitar hero for pc i want to build a gaming pc. that way i can play other pc games as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1205
i love ubuntu. Wish i had a spare computer laying around to run it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1206
there's also fedora and open solaris, which looks the same exact as ubuntu becuase they're all linux.

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 393
I was thinking i needed alot of ram when i bought this dell precision t3400 so i got 8 gigs, lol

I have room for 8 more if i need it.

It works well for me but it has shut down on errors a few times. That never happened to me once when i was using xp pro. I even have the vista ultimate and it has issues here and there.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1182
i have vista and i used to hate it, but now it seems to be running better

Gold Member
Username: Tanmanfosho

Fi SSD15 Wangers

Post Number: 1162
olny thing that bothers me sometimes is internet explorer and vista. download firefox and fixed the problem

Gold Member

Post Number: 1211
yeah internet explorer sucks.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2280
In my house, I run:
Windows XP PRO
Windows Vista
Linux Ubuntu
Linux Mandrake (discontinued)
Linux Suse
I use to run Redhat a long time ago. Didn't like it.

Vista runs well on my laptop. Haven't had a problem with it.
My favorite would have to be Ubuntu. It is actually very user friendly for a Linux distro.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8715
I wonder why all the big computer gurus despise Vista, hmmm. A stripped down version won't bog performance but there are far too many issues with drivers for hardware conflicting with Vista. If you don't believe me you can do some research on www.xtremesystems.org

I must say that Vista does have some nice features, the 64 bit version that my brother is running is nothing but problems =/ Some of the problems we've run into have been fixed but there are some that just can't be, it sucks. Normal Vista isn't as bad as it's 64 bit brethren but I don't know if I'm going to use Vista at all when I get my new CPU, Mobo, H.D.s, ram and video card(I'm waiting on Asus to drop the 4870 x2 TOP.).

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

Post Number: 280
XP>Vista all day.
But I run Vista on my laptop.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2723

quote:

i was told vista is pointless unless you have a minimum of 4 gigs of ram

Who ever told you that is a dumbass lol.
I run vista with 2 gigs and I've never had any problems.

Heres my desktop:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p173/stavenmist/desktop.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

Post Number: 281
Steve thinks he's cool taking a screenshot while having an IM with Chadly.

Rofl!

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2726
Lmfao. That was from a couple weeks ago.Upload

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4805
Hey FatChicks, if your brother would have read before he installed it that the 64 bit version has compatability problems because microsoft will not be creating the needed drivers for it do to the lack of popularity of the 64 bit version. This is why he is having problems, 32bit is having less and less problems. I had the choice of upgrading to either the 32 or 64 and once I read about the 64 I got the 32 bit extreme, haven't had a single glitch but service pack 1 is a must. Polo..

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4806
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18315
Vista is, well, what it is. Out of the box my new pc had over 70 processes running and that was just starting up. Most aren't versed enough to hack a copy so we are stuck. None of my printers/scanners worked and I also have 2 gigs of ram. My HD was constantly grinding and was annoying as fluck. I've settled down into it now and have "adjusted" to it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18316
Forgot this:

Upload

Yeah I know it's busy.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4807
Paul 70 processes lOl that isn't normal. I have 29 with all my crap running, but look at all that crap you have running, get rid of those security holed search bars, those are straight killers! Polo..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18317
Well that pic is old. And I had 70 processes running at day one. I've cleaned up a bit but it's still busy.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2728
Thanks Polo. Didn't feel like resizing lol.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton/Hancock while..., MI United States

Post Number: 499
Upload

Im not very good at resizing pictures

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22432
here's mine. i like to keep it clean.

Upload

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2729
wow chad. lol

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton/Hancock while..., MI United States

Post Number: 500
lmao

500th post... Chad, Give out a prize for me lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1215
internet explorer on kevin's ftl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1216
[URL=http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fdfdsfskv3.jpg]

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 525
I still don't know if I like Vista or not!! Lol After reading all this I am going to get more Ram for sure!! my Dell Inspiron only came with 1gig, so that is probably why it freezes up all the time, i hate watching video with it!! Hey does anyone have a list of which processes can be disabled

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2976
mac os x

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8719
"Hey FatChicks, if your brother would have read before he installed it that the 64 bit version has compatability problems because microsoft will not be creating the needed drivers for it do to the lack of popularity of the 64 bit version."

I think what you meant to say is that hardware manufacturers aren't providing drivers that run smoothly with Vista 64Bit. We actually have 4 versions of Windows here, XP, XP Pro, Vista, Vista 64 bit. My cousin is running a hacked "tiny" Vista and it's pretty nice, it uses as little resources as possible and doesn't waste all that H.D. space. I'll still stick with XP, there's no reason to step up to Vista at all for me. Mac's suck fat D. Any machine that is made for a few things only flat out sucks when you can have a machine that does EVERYTHING well. Macs are good for rendering, editing music and video and...oh wait, there is no and...that's all they're good at. Try putting up a nice score in 3D Mark. Not going to happen.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 749
there's a website called blackviper.com and basically this guy went throu all the applications that run in the background and found out which ones u need and which ones u do not need, he did this for every operating system that microsoft makes. and the results are awsome i must say. back when i ran xp pro, i was able to get my PF usage down to 86mb. On vista 32bit, i think im down in the 400's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us