Fi audio?

Username: Neokiloki

Texas United States

Post Number: 4
Does anyone know anything about the Fi audio BTL? I want to get a couple of 12's that will really hit. I can get 2 of those fully loaded for under $1000. Also looking at the Orion HCAA 12.2's. The Orions will be more expensive though. Are there any other really good subs I should be looking at besides the obvious JL audio w7's. I haven't decided on the amps. I want to start with the subs and go from there. I want to run a 2ohm setup. It's for a new car I just bought. budget is no more than $1500 for 2 subs. Preferably closer to $1000. I won't be doing my own install either. I'll leave that to the pros.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2344
What kind of vehicle do you have? You might as well set aside $1000 for electrical upgrade. The HCCA subs aren't what they use to be, and I would say thow them out of the line up.

Are you looking for a good daily driver with SQ but gets loud?

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1247
your going to have to upgrade your electrical if your going to run that amount of power... new alt, battery, Big3. you need to factor that into the budget if you wanna do it that big.

what kind of sound are you going for? SQ, SQL, SPL?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1360
if upgrades are to be needed anyways..... Why does it have to be a 2 ohm setup?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8485
Thats gonna be expensive amp wise. Much more options for 1 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1249
if you want to run everything at 2ohms (even tho thats a weird criteria) your amps are pretty limited to kickers or buying to amps and strapping them together.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1538
I have run Fi BTLs for about 2 years now, with anywhere from 1000-4000rms each. I love them- they get loud and sound good doing it. As others have said, get your charging straight first. Two kicker 2500s would be a good setup, or a JBL Crown 6000.

I'm sorry it's laughable to compare the BTL to the JL w7, that would be a very different setup indeed.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION USA

Post Number: 98
i like my fi q

Texas United States

Post Number: 5
Sorry I'm not a pro........ I do know I have to upgrade the electrical even so. Soundwise I was looking for a good combo of both, but SPL is more important. Anyway I was looking at a couple of HiFonics amps. I was thinking a 2ohm setup because of the amps I'm looking at. Running at 2 ohms the RMS matches up better than at one ohm. The rating from the FI website is 2k rms for the BTL. Planning on 2 mono amps to run the 2 subs. Nothing is set in stone until I buy the stuff.

I was looking for suggestions BECASUE I DONT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT THIS STUFF! I know some basics but, thats it. Critisizm was not needed. Anyhow the car is a 05 GTO, thats why I want to go with high quality subs, because there isn't alot of room in the trunk. My last car had 4 average 12's and sounded pretty darn good. I plan on battery, and alternator upgrades and 2 really good caps. Budget is flexible. 5k saved up just for this purpose. So yeah I'm going big!

THANKS to those who were POLITE.

To those who weren't, NOT EVERYONE IS A CAR AUDIO TECH. Thats why I decided to ask the questions here! I've made 2 posts looking for advice and instead I end up defending myself. When someone wants advice you don't have to attack them!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1183
dont waste your money on "2 really good caps".

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1859
Caps are unnecessary in a set up as they do more evil than they do good.

If you have a large enough alt set up and batteries to go with them you have no use for a cap, and even if you don't have a large enough alt/battery bank a cap is still useless.

Once the cap dischages it needs to be recharged adding more strain to your system, thus taking more power from your alt/batteries than if it was not there. So they are uneeded in stereos.

Kevin Holden is a great guy and can get you some awesome stuff send him an e-mail his site is www.low-hz.com

lowhz01@yahoo.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1541
You're on the right track it seems, but as long as you're above 1 ohm for daily you're in the green.

I'll still recommend two kicker 2500s, but you might be better off with one big amp since it sounds like you don't have a ton of room. The BTL is definitely the sub you're after imo.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4799
"Caps are unnecessary in a set up as they do more evil than they do good."

* That isn't true. Often car batteries have a higher ESR than a good cap below 5 Farads. It isn't the cap that kills a system it is the lack of voltage and that is in no way the caps fault lol. Think about it, if that was all true there wouldn't be a large bank of caps in those mondo amps, they are there for a reason. Biggest problem in the electrical system is the alts regulator. This causes a significant drop due to latency issues so if there is lack of battery power (cap is a battery) during that moment, you can pop power supply fets and blow subs. You see it isn't the cap that is the killer, just the user thinking it is a replacement for a complete electrical system. BTW- I run one on my component amp, helps scrub noise from the imput power. Polo.

Texas United States

Post Number: 6
Awsome, thanks for the input. It's much appreciated. I thought the BTL would be a good choice, just didn't know much about them. I'll look into the kicker amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1543
Also I just remembered some of the bigger hifonics xx amps do power at 2ohms.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9356_Hifonics+XXV-COLOSSUS.html

3200w @ 2ohms, just buy two of them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us