Effects of Dry cell batteries

Silver Member
Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 111
I know wet cell batts like to be ran off the top part and don't like to be ran down and just about the opposite is true for dry cells.
My question is just like its harmful to drain down a wet cell batt too many times is it bad to keep a dry cell toped off all the time with an alt and not drain it down and charge it back up to keep the maximum life of the battery?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1353
IIRC. Dry cell do not have a memory(if that makes sense and is what you are asking). Correct me if I'm wrong guys... But that is what I understand it to be.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Yes that is what i am asking.

so another words you are saying i can put an alt on a dry cell or not and there is no bad effect on it??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1354
every battery has a lifespan, but the alt will not speed up the process.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
oh ok thank you Mark!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1358
anytime

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22409
what is "IIRC"?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4792
"every battery has a lifespan, but the alt will not speed up the process."

*That isn't true, overcharging certain batteries is just as bad as undercharging them.

"IIRC. Dry cell do not have a memory"

*Actually, only dry cells do have a memory.

Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Ok so if i have a 12V batt and a 12V alt at 220 amps would having a drycell not being drained down because the alt is constantly topping it off hurt the dry cell battery?
All batteries wear out sooner or later i just do not want to speed the process up of ruining the battery if i don't have to

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18280
"what is "IIRC"?"

If I Remember Correctly.......

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4793
Hunter, let me give you a little info here. FYI, there are very few actual "dry" cell batteries out there cna chances are you are not using a dry cell but an AGM. Yellow tops, kinetics and such use some sort of AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) technology. There is liquid acid but it is absorbed and suspended by a thin fiberglass mat membrane to keep it from leaking out of the case vents. Because it is still a liquid it doesn't require special charging. Now my Batcap 8400 uses many many many c sized lead calcium cells (think it was) so it requires a special charging. It is 16V so it needs 19.2V charging, but the same goes for my 16V AGMs so I use the same charger for both and this allows me to mix types (similar characteristics). I wouldn't worry about the battery, worry more about if you will over use your alternator... :-O Polo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Thank you Polo for breaking it down! That made all the difference in the world and i completly understand now!
Thank you very much!!

Oh i never thought about over using my alternator...would it be possible for me to over use it? I don't think i'm drawing that much power.
and how would you know if you were going to over use the alternator and to prevent it?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4794
Just use the alt you will be fine. Polo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Hahaha ok.

Thank you Polo

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 656
lmao chad i was thinking the exact same thing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums