Question: speaker setup, sound good?

Username: Goodstang

Long island, ny

Post Number: 3
ok, im looking to install some new speakers in my 96 mustang gt convertible. currently, i have 4 sony 5.25 inch speakers. not to diss sony, but i never liked 'em.

i want to place 6x8 component infinity reference (6800CS) speakers in the front door panels, and then purchase some speakers for the rear. which is my best choice:

1) another pair of 6x8 component infinity references in the rear, along with a pair of 2-way 6x9 speakers.

2) just the second pair of 6x8 component infinity references in the rear

3) just the two-way 6x9 speakers in the rear.

i am going to power my speakers with a sony 4 channel amp, (the newest model, XGM 1200 i think the name is.

so, which choice should i go with, 1 - 2- or - 3??

eventually, i am going to add 2 10" subs (with a 2-channel amp to power them.

i dont like my music loud, i just like it to sound damn good.

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Penn State , Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 56
Here is my advice if you're goin for SQ, I'm not going to recommend a specific set, but I'd put ure money into some component speakers, they handle the sounds much better than the 6x8s. Granted, they will not bolt right up to the factory openings, but you can get adapters, or make one your self. Also, if you're not much up for the components, then just get some 6x8's. I owned the Infinity Kappa 6x8's. They handled the high's great, but they only did fair on lower and mid frequecies. But I'd recommend circle speakers since the 5x8's I've heard all aren't that great at producing mid range and lower frequencies, and often max out much earlier than their Max RMS.

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Penn State , Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 57
oh, and don'even think about a Sony amp. It's just not a good idea.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 366
For it to sound damn good, you need a 6.5" component set, which they make adapters for them to fit, like Donald said.. Don't worry so much about rear speakers, fronts should be your main focus. Don't spend on a Sony amp, they fail easily and are nothing but a headache in the end. Get a good component set and a 2 channel amp for them and it'll sound great.

Long island, ny

Post Number: 4
Guys, thank you for the advice. indeed, it looks as though what you all say is true - that round speakers (6.5's) perform better than ovals (6x8's).

from here, is it tough to place a 6.5" speaker in a stock 6x8 speaker location? i have a 96 mustang gt convertible -- the front speakers reside in the door panel, and its sort of a tight fit at 6x8 -- but there is probably about an extra inch i could make available via slight cutting of the door metal.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 55
You can buy an adaptor for the speakers so they will fit.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 371
Buy an adaptor, or make your own out of plywood. If you can use a jigsaw, you can make an adaptor. It's very easy, you should get a speaker ring with a component set, trace the inside diameter on the plywood, cut that out, and then cut the adapter to fit the 6x8 hole. If you want to mount the tweeter there, same procedure.

Long island, ny

Post Number: 9
thanks guys, i will use your advice when the speakers arrive in the mail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us