Setting sub gain and bass boost

Username: Pphlp449

Post Number: 1
What would you recommend when setting the sub gain and bass boost. I am wondering if there is any chance of damaging my sub.
I have a Kicker L5 12" 2 Ohm, and a Kicker 700.5ZX amp (5-channel). The sub is rated at 600W RMS (1200W peak) and the amp is rated at 425W RMS sub out. My concern is that 450W is the rated wattage, but when I received my amp it was rated at 1060W combined wattage for all channels (its rated on the box for 775W combined), so wouldn't this mean the sub output is more than 425W? Even though is the wattage being at, say 500W a reason to keep the gain down? Do you want the amp output to equal the sub's RMS wattage? or less?
So what do I have to do when setting these settings, do I have anything to worry about or can I keep them pretty much all the way up.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1636
bb=none.

Post Number: 2
why should i have no bass boost?
shouldn't i have it quite a ways up since my sub is more than the amp out.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1179
no, bass boost=clipping. Never use it.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 425
well it depends on ur amp. but the kicker i would say no bass boost but on a rd audio 1000d then yes u can have bass boost

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2003
"well it depends on ur amp. but the kicker i would say no bass boost but on a rd audio 1000d then yes u can have bass boost"

What???

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 427
that is what kevin holden and steve miller said the i can have 25-80% bass boost and ill be just fine

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1180
i think its cause yours isn't a bass boost. Yours controls your gain, bass boost should never be used on any amp.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2004
Just because bass boost is on doesn't mean your amp is clipping. Many people just abuse bass boost and don't really understand what it does.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22404
set the gain right on the amp. then play the music. if you feel the bass is lacking a bit, try a little bass boost. don't go crazy. if it sounds good then your set.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION USA

Post Number: 103
x2 Chad on my sx1250.1 i had to add a lil for it to hit good but if its hitting good w/o it don't use just play it safe and dont use it. if need add no more then 1/4

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4788
Ya, but with an SX 1250 you can boost more than just one frequency! With other amps you can only boost a single band like 40hz and it falls off at a rate of 12db/octave so your music will never sound natural, just peaky....Polo..

Silver Member

TEAM REVOLUTION USA

Post Number: 104
thanks polo i couldn't finger why it was like that but it was a nice amp lol

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8486
Yea listen to snow.

All bass boost does is make your SQ go to sh!t.

Silver Member

TEAM REVOLUTION USA

Post Number: 106
x2 i never used it after that amp

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22405
you'll never see me touch the bass boost knob but some people just insists on using it. so whatever floats your boat.

like i said though, try it first with just setting the gain properly. bass boost tends to make the bass sound muddy.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4789
Agreed Quentin, but that was a DSP (digital sound processor) not a typical single band parametric EQ. If you need to boost/cut get yourself a good EQ.Polo..

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22406
the sx amp is awesome but you really need the controller that you mount up front. the damn amp has too many settings you can mess with. lol.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4790
Hey you know anyone who needs the SXRC I have one just sitting around. Polo.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22407
man when i had the sx900 i was looking for one. too bad i don't have that amp no more.

Post Number: 3
So if i forget the bass boost. can i have the gain all the way up and have nothing to worry about since the sub wattage is higher?
What am I actually doing when i turn up the gain anyway?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22488
do it and find out. obviously you are not listening what everyone here are telling you. you mind as well learn the hard way.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18435
"So if i forget the bass boost. can i have the gain all the way up and have nothing to worry about since the sub wattage is higher?"

Wow.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 526
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us