Downfiring a JL w6v2?

Silver Member
Username: Kujo

Post Number: 144
I'm looking to build a new enclosure for my 12" w6v2. I'm stuck on what type to build as both sealed and ported seem to have their ups and downs according to most jl owners. From my experience, corner loading a sub in my trunk usualy sounds much better than conventional placement (pushed up against backseat, facing away from driver). The bass gets deeper and a little louder. Because of the confined space, down firing a sub should essentialy be the same as corner loading right? And if thats the case then would a downfiring JL in a sealed box yeild a higher output simular to that of a ported box yet still sound good as far as sound quality goes?

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Any suggestions to this idea?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4306
Ive read that 2-3 times and still am not sure what your asking? not sure what corner loading is.
in general, w6's like boxes x2 the jl spec. also x2 the power. For a 12, 1000 watts.
Hope that helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
I know jl can take more then what they recomend.. but isnt that a little overkill? As for cornerloading... I cant explain exactly what it is... but its pretty comon in home audio use. Again, you place the sub within like a few inches of corner or wall, and the sub output is increased slightly and sounds deeper/louder. Like for instance, this is what they recomend doing with a bazooka tube.

Silver Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 167
i think he means instead of placing a box traditionally in a trunk, with the sub(s) facing the trunk opening, have them facing the back seat, that way the sound will reflect a little more off the seat backs?and as far as downfiring, yes that would be the same, but you should make sure that it will act the same as it would against the seats.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Well thats one way to do it. Another way is when the box is a few inches away from the trunk lid. Same deal, except just not ideal use of trunk space ha. I'm thinking about mocking up a cube or so and adding some sides on it to lift it off the floor. I want to see if it yeilds same resutls. I might even make the sids moveable so I can test how it sounds at diff angles?? Angle it so it faces both the floor and some towards the back of the trunk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us