Redesigning my box II ( Pics )

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4285
this was my single 4.2 box but i am gonna try it out this weekend and see what it does. Its a little bigger then my current box, (.5). Anyway I couldnt give it away, so its now my test box.

In bondo . I used a cut out to plug the old hole. Clever huh...

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5576
i would not suggest bondo.. cracks too easily

wood puddy ftw.. and for something like that.. fiberglass on the inside :-)

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1274
looks kinda iffy... i wish you the best of luck!

Username: Tooloudforyou

Post Number: 7
i agree with what jack said...bondo isnt strong enough to hold that plug...fiberglass is a MUST....if you want to do it right that is.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4287
lol, bondo aint holding it in. Its x2 mdf over the hole and screwed on, then the "plug" is screwed to the mdf. You can see the extra mdf screwed on to the box in pic 2. Bondo is just to smooth it out. Anyway, this box will be chucked after tomorrow. Just a cheap test box.

Ready for install.

Crazy Fleck paint to add db's

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
oh okay, thanks for clearing that up...did you know that some times enamel paint that you buy at home depot can actually add dbs (no joke) but by only a few tenths....

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2245
"oh okay, thanks for clearing that up...did you know that some times enamel paint that you buy at home depot can actually add dbs (no joke) but by only a few tenths...."

Adding paint to the outside adds dB? How so?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
actually i shouldve said the inside and to put in lamest terms...its makes it smoother allowing the air flow inside the box to increase SLIGHTLY more then mdf. also painting the outside also can help instead of carpet. Carpet also restricts air flow within a car....

does that help you understand Nick V...i figured that to someone with 2245 posts this little peice of information would be common knowledge.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2248

quote:

actually i shouldve said the inside and to put in lamest terms...its makes it smoother allowing the air flow inside the box to increase SLIGHTLY more then mdf. also painting the outside also can help instead of carpet. Carpet also restricts air flow within a car....

Wrong, and Wrong.

LMAO @ "makes it smoother allowing the air flow inside the box to increase SLIGHTLY more then mdf."

There are too many factors to say adding paint to the inside of the box increases your score by "a few tenths"

The main factor is your note that you peak and burp at. Another factor is the box design. The last factor is your vehicle.

quote:

Carpet also restricts air flow within a car...

Air restriction isn't always bad ;)

I figured a person that acts like they know so much about SPL would know all of this.

quote:

does that help you understand Nick V...i figured that to someone with 2245 posts this little peice of information would be common knowledge.

Wow, you looked at my post count. Good for you. I'm sorry, I try to only remember common knowledge that is correct. And when it comes to SPL, everything has to be in lamest terms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
" enamel paint that you buy at home depot can actually add dbs (no joke) but by only a few tenths...."

Note the word i used CAN not WILL, so nowere did i gaurentee you would get dbs out of this.

But adding paint can help regardless if you want believe it or not, and just because you simply thing im wrong by NO mean does that disprove my FACT which has been tested numerous vehicles..

There is no MAIN FACTOR when it comes to spl, i was giving a general tip to help the guy...SPL is different in every car and car audio setup and to say that peak frequency is the main factor is makes you seem disillusioned. Although Peak frequency is ONE way of increase your chance of having great results it is not the ONLY way. And yes i know box design is important. dont get me wrong but it is not the most important tool in designing a system....

but everything i have provided is a tip:
such as duct tape CAN increase your dbs by a few tenths. now stop trying to find things wrong with my posts. its rather agravating. cause apparently the only expiernce you have is over the internet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2250
"Note the word i used CAN not WILL, so nowere did i gaurentee you would get dbs out of this."

I never said it would not help. I said there are too many factors to just say it will help. In some vehicles, it can hurt you.

quote:

There is no MAIN FACTOR when it comes to spl,

I never said there was. I said there was a main factor about paint helping or not.

quote:

And yes i know box design is important. dont get me wrong but it is not the most important tool in designing a system....

So if you have a crappy box but everything else is perfect, you will have a nice score?

quote:

such as duct tape CAN increase your dbs by a few tenths.

I agree with this.

quote:

. now stop trying to find things wrong with my posts. its rather agravating.

I'm just simply correcting you. But is it very hypocritical to say that. Because you are doing the same thing to me ;)

quote:

cause apparently the only expiernce you have is over the internet.

Yeah. I'm only doing 151s out of a trunk with a single 15. No experience at all ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
you said:
"I never said there was. I said there was a main factor about paint helping or not."
you ALSO said:
"The main factor is your note that you peak and burp at."

you said:
"I'm just simply correcting you. But is it very hypocritical to say that Dave. Because you are doing the same thing to me ;) "

no im clarifying what im saying not correcting what your saying because your trying to make my post sound as if it is not credible.

"Yeah. I'm only doing 151s out of a trunk with a single 15. No experience at all ;)"

good job.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2251
I said I agreed with you on a few things man.

Read everything man,

quote:

There are too many factors to say adding paint to the inside of the box increases your score by "a few tenths"

The main factor is your note that you peak and burp at.
Another factor is the box design. The last factor is your vehicle.

That is what I said.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4288
yaa. ok then.
Well got the box installed and halfassed walled off the back. I will see tomorrow what effects this box has.

btw, I usually paint or spray poly inside my boxes. I feel it need to be sealed.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18225
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 411
lol

Silver Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 146
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mffBVAwsr8Q

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4301
got some numbers today.
First run, 142.1
Second run 141.1, (box Move)
So I picked up 2 dbs from that box over the clamshell.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10519
Excellent. What did you do?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4303
"Excellent. What did you do?"

First run, 142.1
Second run 141.1, (box Move)
So I picked up 2 dbs from that box over the clamshell.

Is that what you mean?

I also walled off the back half and stood the box up and angled towards the mic on the first run. Played a 58 tone burp.
Second run I layed the box down subs/port up, did a 59-58-57 tone, 141.1 was at 58.

On a side note, when I went to do my second run, the dudes says go, I unpause at volume 30, get a good 5 second burp, then the amp protects, (low voltage).
I was expecting 142-143. But the mic was not set to go. So I had to redo with the battery low.
Also this was on a ac190.
I was put in the 2-15, 3-12 class and came in like 3rd-5th, not sure, I left early. Prizes for 1-2 only.
And Kieth from renots was in my class, 159.insane.
So there was no hope. I think they classed him out at the end thou. But still was not in 1-2 position.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10521
Yeah I was asking what you did to gain the 2 db. Where was this box tuned? And did it have the same port area as the previous box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us