2 ohm and 4 ohm power?

Username: Bazzy16

Castlegar, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
I have two 12" clarion srw 1251 subwoofers and a alpine mrp-m650 mono amplifier. My subs are rated to handle 400W RMS at 4 ohms and my amp is rated to put out 400W RMS at 4ohms and 600W RMS at 2 ohms. I have the subs wired in parallel and what i understand it should be 4 ohms at the subs and 2 ohms at the amp so does that mean my subs are getting 600W RMS each? 400W RMS each? 300W RMS each? or 200W RMS each?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6750
Wire the subs in parallel, that will give the amp a 2ohm load.

Each sub will see 300w.

Username: Klutch

Post Number: 6
yup. he's right

Username: Jumbo23

Post Number: 1
I have two orion HP series 12" subs in an Orion custom box. It is rated 2000 watts and at 4 ohms. Is it possible to change the ohm load of my speaker box to a 2 ohm load? I have a 500/1 JL amp hooked up to it as well. I don't have any idea how many RMS it is currently getting, is it 250 RMS for each sub? I know the subs can handle A LOT more power. }I was informed to get an amp that is typically more powerful than the subs can handle, even though I wouldn't be cranking it up all the time. Is this true? Also, if I do decide to look into getting a more powerful amp, what should I look for? A 2000 watt amp? If I do this, would this mean that each speaker is getting a 1000 watts each? Thanks for your help!!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5505
jalen if they're DVC 4 ohm you should wire them in parallel to get 1 ohm load. After that you should look for an amp that will work properly.

NOTE: power will split

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1622
HP12's are 500w rms subs. Assuming they're dvc 4's (which they should be since you have a pair wired to 4 ohms)you should be able to rewire them for 1 ohm.
As for an amp - a mono that is rated for ~1000w at 1 ohm would be ideal. Anywhere in the 800-1200w range would do the job.

Username: Jumbo23

Post Number: 2
I appreciate all the advice. How do you re-wire an already set of subs set at 4 ohms to a 1 ohm load? Also, my lights flicker when I crank of my stereo, does this mean that I need a farad capacitor? I keep hearing that a capacitor is like a temporary band-aid. Should I look into a cap cell or something like that. Don't really understand. I don't boom all the time but it's nice to sometime but can't really cuz of the dimming/flickering lights. Lastly, I have a 500/1 Jl pushing my subs, would it be better to get another 500/1(hard to find & expensive) OR look into getting ONE quality 1000 watt amp that pushes 500 RMS to each sub? Need some advice!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 78
Capacitors are useless in your situation. Bigger cables should help(ive seen them reduce dimming before). And some amps to look into are the AQ1200D, SAZ-1000d, and others that put out about 1000wrms at 1 ohm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us