Amp power question

Username: Kracka32

Pflugerville, TX USA

Post Number: 1
I know this may sound stupid but....is there any way to power a car amp using a regular 110v outlet? I have 2 subs & a large 1400w amp I would like to use in my garage. FYI...i bought the stuff for my maxima but had to trade in for a truck and they would be WAY too much sound for such a small space.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8401
There is not a way that won't cost you $1000+

Username: Warhorsesolox12s

Post Number: 1
i used to have a car system in my room, it wasnt anywhere near as strong as the one your trying, but i used a battery charger and a power inverter for my two amps i had. i dont know if that will help you any tho

Username: Kracka32

Pflugerville, TX USA

Post Number: 2
If I only knew how to work the math on this one. The amp has 6 30A fuses and I'm wondering if I need to get something that's around 30 amps or do I have to add all 6 to get my number. I feel like I'm being told to convert cups to teaspoons....not a clue.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18210

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18211
I need another beer.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1143
^^^

Username: Klutch

Post Number: 2
im sure there is a way like M.S. said but i don't no much about converting outlets from walls. But in a car its just run from the batter right? thats what powers everything. simple solution. buy a regular car battery and stick it somewhere with ur setup. and u can ground the amp wire to the negative on the battery

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18229
In homes, 110v is grounded using the 3 prong outlets. In cars it's done using the chassis.

The concept of running car audio gear powered by car batts indoors is NOT safe. Even in a garage. Some think to themselves that they can simply charge the batts using a standard car battery charger while running their gear. It's such a ghetto idea and that doesn't even dip into all the conversion/efficiency loses. Most don't care though, it's not their electricity but whomever pays the bills.

Can it be done? Sure. Should it be?..............

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8441
You need

1) SEALED car battery. You can't run a regular one indoors.

2) A 12 volt DC power supply that does over 180 amps in this case.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R40&satitle=d c+power+supply&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=18969& sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=34%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&co pagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Theres a few on that page should work fine

Username: Warhorsesolox12s

Post Number: 6
the system i had was a 320 watt four channel and a 120 watt 4 cheannel. the 320 had one 12 bridged to two channels and could be heard from a few blocks away with only 11.5 amps being fed to it from the power supply i had. it couldnt be turned all the way but it was in my room and it was loud enough. the 120 watt had only one amp to it and it worked fine at any volume no matter what you hooked up to it. that was also the amp i wired little batteries to and put a sub in my packpack and annoyed the teachers. and that first one on that rage he sent i want to get. its pretty sweet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us