Help from an expert on a 3 way semi active system.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1408
I have a bunch of questions about how i want to setup/change my front stage.

Fist of all what i am trying to do is install a pair of CDT EF8's, one in each door and then make kick panels for my infinity kappa 60.7 comp set. I want to runn all of this "semi-active" off of my single soundmagus CP91 4 channel amp.

The amp does 4x90rms @ 4 ohms, 4x125rms @ 2 ohms, and 2x220rms bridged @ 4 ohms.

Heres a link with further info about the amp. the crossovers are very complex.
http://www.soundmagus.com/CP91.html
Heres the amp test report
http://www.soundmagus.com/images/test%20report/CP91%20test%20report.pdf

First to start with some amplification questions.

Would it be ok to bridge the rear two channels of my amp and run them @ a 2 ohm load? it says in the test report that the amp wont go into protect until it sees 1.3 ohms and is at maximum power.

if not will 90 watts each be enough to drive the ef8's?

will a fiberglass enclosure be suitable for the EF8's? I dont think i will be able to fit an mdf enclosure behind my door panel n the door. how much volume should the enclosure be? keep in mind i may only have 90 watts for each driver.

is it ok if the kickpanel enclosure has a tiny air space for the midrange speaker? i dont have much room to work with, im going to have to relocate my hood release.

MY x over points are going to be my subs from 28-63hz then my 8's from 63-320hz and my kappas from 125-25000hz.

i can cut off the 8's at 125 but i cant turn my highpass any higher on the kappas unless i want it to be between 1000 and 6000 but i dont think the 8's will play 1000hz very well.

any suggestions or help is much appreciated. im really looking to get the install right this time. im gonna re do my substage agian after i finally get this done.

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 686
K 1 simple thing to start with: you sure you wanna use Kappa's in a 3-way setup? You can do a lot better. If you're gonna make kickpanels and go through all the work, you might as well go with a real 3-way setup. Use the EF-8's, and grab a 4" midrange. If you like the Kappa tweeter then you could keep it. That's one harsh tweeter though lol.

Point is...make this worthwhile!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1409
i think i like very harsh tweeters. i like it when the higsh make me blink hahaha. but no i dont want to use my kappas.

the reason i am using my kappas is because they are the loudest speakers i can have with my setup, since they are 2 ohms i can give the 120 watts. and becaus eive heard that they will sound better in an enclosure and in the kick.

Is there a 4 inch comp set or mid range you would recommend that will get loud off of 90 watts?

and i still would like more info and help about all of my other questions.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8350
running CDT together with infinity is a disgrace to the CDTs

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1410
ok. could you please suggest something else i should run? or make a suggestion about another aspect of my thread.

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 688
Hey Mark, I'm gonna PM you some thoughts and recommendations on everything. Just check your PM's whenever you get chance. You can also email me at sales@exigeaudio.com

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1413
thanks a lot.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1414
i dont know how to check the pm's but my email is mds17@alfred.edu.

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 689
Alright man, PM sent.

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 690
Oops didn't see that message. The PM will go directly to the email account you have registered with eCoustics. If it's that one, you'll get it there. If not let me know and I'll resend it to that email address.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1415
i am sorry i did not get the email. im pretty sure the account i registered got deleted as i dont go to that school any more.

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 691
k will send to the other one.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1416
thanks a lot man. i think im gonna end up getting at least a pair of thoes 4"ers from you just because of how much you helped me out hahaha.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1420
exige whats up with thoes speakers?

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 698
hey man I'm sorry..I'm typing on my cell now. Internet access was cut down by Ike's "little" windstorm that blew through and knocked out power to I and a couple other million people here in OH. Please call me so I can get everything going for you. Sorry for the delay. I will attempt to PM you my cell number.

Mike

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1421
o wow that sux. sorry to hear that. i still havent gotten you number yet but agian my email is mds17@alfred.edu the email i signed up to this account got canceled.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1442
still having problems exige?

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 699
sent you an email yesterday (9/21)...just got yours back...replying asap. no more problems here.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1459
mike i think theres somthing wrong with your email. i sent you a reply to get me a quote on a bunch of stuff on the 10/2 and still no reply. i will resend the message tho.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1460
mike i think theres somthing wrong with your email. i sent you a reply to get me a quote on a bunch of stuff on the 10/2 and still no reply. i will resend the message tho.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us