No problems yet, but new alternator?

Anonymous

Well here is my setup, i have an alpine mrd-m500, and alpine mrp-f401. The sub amp is 500 rms(class d), and the 4 channel is 40x4rms(class a/b). I have a 90 amp alternator, and i dont have a problem with dimming lights. Would anyone think it would be wise to upgrade (rewound or new) the alternator to prevent any potential unseen problems.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3384
use a multimeter and check voltages when the system is running at normal listening levels.
if the voltage rails stay firmly at 12V or above, then you're fine.
If they start to sag, nose around eBay for honda alternators. I see 100-130A ones there for cheap.

Anonymous

Ok, well i went out and checked the voltage levels. They remain at about 14 volts without really changing, even with the A.C. on. On thing is, the car idles fine when nothing is runnning, but when i get the stereo at normal listening levels the RPM of the engine at idle drops down slightly whenever there is a big bass hit, is this something i should be worried about? However, the voltage levels dont drop much at all, im getting about 14.4 volts steady and it drops down to about 13.5 volts at the absolute lowest. Whats your oppinion on this one glasswolf?

Anonymous

Well here is a suggestion from a local shop, they said that they dont believe they could rewind my alternator and they couldnt find a HO one that would fit properly, they did however suggest using a smaller pulley to spin the alternator faster? seem like a good suggestion to anyone?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3386
that'd work. not uncommon.
since your voltage isn't dropping, this would be a good application for a stiffening capacitor perhaps.
any 1 farad capacitor would do fine.
you can find one for about $65 I believe, without all the fancy features.
that should do the trick.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3387
by the way, your tach drops a bit at idle because the alternator only puts out its full output and charging voltage above idle.. usually above about 2500rpm

Anonymous

I heard that with stiffining capacitors it tends to drop voltage in the system. Is this true of just a myth?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3390
huh?

Anonymous

Guess thats a myth i read somewhere, i managed to get a 120 amp used alternator of ebay for a penny so im psyched. Another question, looks like i have 6 ga wire runing from my alternator, should i upgrade that when i put the new one in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us