Infinity Perfect 6.1 versus the 5.1s

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Penn State , Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 32
The situation is that I own a 1997 Mazda 626. As some of you may know, Mazdas of those years all used the 5x7 speakers, but I'd never let that stop me! They also have the rear speakers in the deck, but... I'm looking for a set of components, cept I don't want my rear speakers in the deck, I want them in the rear door. As unheard of as this may be, thats where I want them. After looking though, I know I want the 6.1 Infinities in the front doors of my car. But for the rear it may be easier for me to get the 5.1's, so long as I won't sacrifice much performance. Does anyone know how the 5.1 perfs, stack against the 6.1 in actually quality listening?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 265
Really, not a huge difference, the 6.1 has a little better midbass, but the midrange and above is pretty much identical. I wouldn't put components in the rear unless you're planning to ride in the back seat a lot. You don't want a lot of tweeter coming from behind, especially as strong as the tweeter of a Kappa Perfect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
So if you're recommending I not use a perfect set of component in the back.... what do i use then??

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 297
If you put anything back there, midbasses just to add in a bit of rear fill. Tweeters from the rear kill your front soundstage, which is naturally where you want clarity and detail. Rear full range speakers pull the soundstage more to the rear, which is not natural as in a real concert the musicians would be only in front of you. If you are looking to impress a lot of back seat passengers, you COULD get components back there and then fade them out when you want the best sound quality all to yourself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
So you think I'd be BEST off with Just getting the infinity 6.1 components in the front, and finding a set of Midbasses for the back?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Are you sure another set of components wouldn't kick some serious but in the back???? This is really a big deal to me, because I do NOT wanna get some junky setup going on. I don't mind forking out the dollars, but I wanna get it done right. please take extra consideration.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 315
I'm serious. You may be a different case, but Sound Quality competitors usually ditch rear fill. When's the last time you went to a concert and heard the voice coming from behind you? Unless you maybe were walking to a hot dog stand. If you put components in the rear, it will pull the front soundstage more to the rear, and you will lose the accuracy of a proper front stage. You want the vocals to sound like they're coming from the front of you, you'll never go to a concert where someone is behind you performing. I wasn't recommending it to save money, I was recommending it because it sounds better. Saving money is a benefit, though :-). The only way I'd put components in the rear is to impress back seat passengers, but I'd never listen to them when I'm in a car by myself. Trust me, a good set of components up front and a subwoofer in back will sound the best. Sometimes less is more.

Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 2
I can pass along the advice I got from one of 2003's installers of the year (by Car Audio Magazine):

1. If you want good sound all around, use 6.5" components in the rear for the passengers' enjoyment, and fade slightly to front.

2. If you are more concerned with creating your sound stage, use 5.25" components in the rear.

3. Match all of the speakers by manufacturer, because the sound reproduction will be off if you change between front and rear.

4. Don't use 2-way or 3-way speakers, or any oval speakers at all. Most of the time, these distort quickly at even modest volumes.

-Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Demigod33

Post Number: 34
my infinity 3way - 6x9 rear is a killer, even at high volume...but you must have a cross over if you are adding infinity kappa component 5.25 or 6.5, their tweeter are some of the louded and clearest for the price...

dont play no pastor troy!!!!!

Post Number: 3
The Infinity Perfects come with a (very good) passive crossover that allow you to dampen the tweeters by -4dB.

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
you guys are going to laugh

i have 6.5 3way kappas in the front

and 6x9 3 way rear

the 6x9 broke in after 2 1/2 weeks and the 6.5 took 1 1/2 week

so far the 6x9 has not not distort, even at high volume 25 on my alpine deck
nor have my 6.5

even with the windows roll up
i can hear the words loud and clear with volume 12
50feet away.

full blast about 200ft or more <im deaf - with windows up

im will have to say infinity is the way to go
wow

if you guys grow up like me.....you would under stand.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Without being long-winded, coaxials (in stock mounts) rarely reproduce the sound stage as well as components in a split mount. Most front mounts are in the door kickpanels, which is nowhere near [your windshield] where the sound should be. Raising the stage from there with coaxials is virtually impossible. Additionally, the design of co- and triaxials also require physical considerations (sizing drivers to fit coupled), which is arguably a sacrifice in the design of sound reproduction. The sound sensitivity is usually sub-90 dB, whereas most components are 95+.

Regarding oval speakers, there is an inherent problem with trying to reproduce a soundwave from a non-circular cone. You will get resonance and you will get some cancellation because of the funky soundwaves coming out of the oblong curve. Also, going back to the mount issue, most 6x9 openings are in the rear deck or pillars, which where you want the least power in your setup, not the most.

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
thats true, im going to get the kappa 6.1 perfect later

my sound set up is cool for now

i only care about loudness + clearness, sq is useless to me i realize
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us