Kicker l7 ???? wut are they god for? spl,sql?

Gold Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1034
i heard they were for spl only and can get pretty dam loud.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1178
spl... NO SQ to them.

if you want loud bass then you got the right sub, if you wanted something more sql, then i would look else where

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1035
nah i like to switch up allot.cant decide on what to stick with im 18 and have had about 8 different systems, but prolly 15 different amps. but right now i do want spl lol. thanx.

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 98
for every L7 you have burp on like 1100-1200 rms and they do good

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8338
Good for SPL but they sound like azz on music

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1978
"Good for SPL but they sound like azz on music"

x2

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1036
really! damm. so just daily driving and bumping to rap they suck? a guy at our last comp had one and the kicker sx amps it was an all sq setup he said . anyways.... so these subs will not sound good on music at all>?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1204
" an all sq setup" WHAAAAT???

they are known to have ZERO sound quality to them. they are meant for numbers but dont have the best build quality. theres better for the money. i would DEFINATELY recommend looking at a different sub.

how much r you looking to spend and how much power can you run?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1982
It would be OK on rap, but under any sort of transition in the frequency or choppy bass hits it will sound bad. This is coming from my experience in a sealed alignment, I don't know how it would sound ported.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8344
^^^^ just as bad. But a lot louder.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2449
"a guy at our last comp had one and the kicker sx amps it was an all sq setup he said"

Thanks for the laugh

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 206
i've got a ported 15" L5. had it for almost 2 years now. unclear as hell but will get pretty loud

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1037
willing to spend 300 on subs.maybe a little more. going for 12's... and i am running stock alt right now but upgrading my battery next pay check. what a good battery but kinda on the cheap side.

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 100
at low levels they might sound ok but the sub itself has sort of a lingy noise :-( lol some with kicker components they dont sound the best

a L7 is going to set u back almost asmuch as a nice sql 15 or 18 kicker subs dont seem to last aslong either there spiders seem to wear out quick

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1246
If ya gotta have keeker.. Go CVX

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1044
how are the cvx? any good? do the power?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1984
They can be had for cheap on ebay. Haven't looked in a while, but you could pick up refurbished ones for $130-150 shipped range.

I haven't heard a CVX, but are suppose to sound WAY better than solobarics.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 595
sorry yall but i gotta do this yall are morons, if you put a L7 in a proper box they sound pretty dam good, hell maybe its jus im a good box builder and got lucky cause at one of my comps the SQ judge sat in my car, the sat in my teammates truck with 2 JL 13.5w7 and 2 1000/1...... guess whos sounded better????

also used 2 L7 15's for my SQ comps the whole season and guess whos in the running for world finals this year FYI???

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1986
So what sub would you compare the SQ of your L7's to?

I've heard 15"s on 500w and 1000w, both in small sealed and large sealed, and was not impressed at all.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8378
So you're right and everyone else is wrong. Sure.......

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5516
paperweight or doorstop? also can be used as a weight for deep sea fishing or to anchor a john boat :-)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8382
haha

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4160
I want to know why L7's have won so many SQ competitions if they sound like crap? Gary Biggs won SQ comps with 2 18" Solo X's and a 10" L7 in the same install.

So what makes them sound so inherently sh!tty compared to other subwoofers? If you say its in the install, well isnt SPL all in the install as well? So we can come to the conclusion that all subwoofers sound shitty and will sound good in a great install. And all subwoofers are not that loud but will get loud in a great install.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 596
no everyone is not wrong, just most of yall probably didnt hear it in a proper setup, you know i look up to you M.S. :-)

im just saying not bragging but my L7 15's off 1000 watts each, in a 4.5 cube box each tuned to 40 sounded dam good

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 286
Keep in mind most of the people who said they sound like straight azz have never heard one..... And if they did it was some noob with a crappy box and amp.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1103
i have had 3 different 15 L7s

i dont think they sound terrible but i dont consider them sq either

keep in mind that i was one of those people who had noobcake boxes though

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22263
this argument has been around since the stone ages. lol. some like the L7 and some don't like the L7. alot of times the ones that don't like the L7's are the ones that read the forums and copy what others are saying.

i have heard awesome installs with L7.

but i guess to each his own.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8385
Well I've prob heard about 20 systems with L7s and not a single one had good SQ..... hard to believe they were all bad installs

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8680
Everyone has their own opinion sounds good and what doesn't. Some like over powering, inaccurate bass and others like mellow but accurate bass from a sub stage. M.S., what were these L7 systems tuned to? Ever hear an L7 setup tuned to 30hz? Probably not? 32? Still probably haven't.

"you know i look up to you M.S. :-)
"

That's sad, why in the world would you look up to him?

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2678
i loved my l7s ...

ran strong for over a year got stupid loud and sounded good enough for me

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8390
I couldn't say what they were tuned to....... some of them were in the Kicker boxes, some were prefab boxes, and a few were custom.

But regardless of tuning they didn't sound good even in the higher bass frequencies.

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1047
well are they good with lows? cuz i see someone said have they been in a 30 and 32 hz tuned box. i guess he means helll no. lol. and the kicker boxes. are they any good? or are they prefab

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

BC Canada

Post Number: 295
Ive had many systems. Sq and SPL. I however run 2 12" solobaric L7's in a 3.0cf sealed custom box, despite the haters, i honestly have to say that the L7 is not the worst is sq, It actually sounds very good is the right spec box, it really depends on the setup. Any sub can preform good under the right application. As for SPL its pretty damn good and can hang with the best.

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1049
so my ? is the kicker box it is in are they any good? it seems pretty big for one sub at least 3-4 cu ft. its ported the slot is on the right but not in front on the back right side. never seen a port right there. is it worth $225? i might soon if i did choose to get it get another one . but would the ssx treo be better?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8399
Theres a ton of subs better than a L7 including the SSX

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 296
michael if u want shear bass that rattles ur brain then get the kicker, you wont be dissapointed.

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1055
ok but i want it to sound good and hit hard but also i want the lows. i listen to all rap so i love lows. im sick of the system i have now that only hits highs...and hardly any lows without sounding sh.tty. but yea everyone says h kicker sound like sh.t and only god for spl then others say no that's wrong. so im stuck not knowing what to do i can get a ssx from daniel for the same price but not enough power to even power it half way lol.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8405
Even so the SSX is the better sub..... and later on you could throw more power on it for even more output

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2210

quote:

I however run 2 12" solobaric L7's in a 3.0cf sealed custom box, despite the haters, i honestly have to say that the L7 is not the worst is sq, It actually sounds very good is the right spec box

Have you ever heard a even decent SQ setup? I'm sorry, but the L7s would not even sound half as good. They are made strictly for SPL, and they do a good job at that. I lost count of how many different boxes I have made for an L7.

quote:

it really depends on the setup. Any sub can preform good under the right application.

Wrong. Some subs just suck completely. But not Funky pups :-)

quote:

yea everyone says h kicker sound like sh.t and only god for spl then others say no that's wrong. so im stuck not knowing what to do

The people that hate have actually heard SQ setups, SQL setups, and SPL setups. My setup sounds GREAT for a SPL setup. But in no way would I call it a sound quality setup, or even compare it to one. There is a huge difference in "sounding good" and "sound quality"

Many people get confused on that.

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1057
ok so daniel is the ssx still for sale? or have u sold it? do u have a box i can buy that is ported?

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1058
bumppp

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8407
Wow I agree with Nick V on something finally

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 297
ok you want lows, that means you want a spl setup, the L7 hits lows very nice.! No sh!t theres better subs on the market, but the kickers are not even close to being a Crappy sub. They take a beating. If you want sound quality strictly then go buy some JL audio W7's which costs 3-4 times more then the L7. What im understanding from you is that u want lots of bass, sq is not meant for that, its meant to hit every single note.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2215

quote:

ok you want lows, that means you want a spl setup, the L7 hits lows very nice.

Man, that is nowhere close to being right. SPL setups are generally made to hit one note, and usually it is a HIGHER note because most peak frequencies of vehicles are high. The higher note your vehicle likes to peak at, the better (in most cases.)

SQL setups are made to do more of what he is wanting to do. And I'm sorry, but a L7 sounding good on low notes? Maybe 38-40hz, and that isn't considered "lows"

quote:

No sh!t theres better subs on the market, but the kickers are not even close to being a Crappy sub. They take a beating.

The build quality on them are horrible. They have the worst failure rate of any sub. How is that "taking a beating?"

quote:

If you want sound quality strictly then go buy some JL audio W7's which costs 3-4 times more then the L7.

Once again, that is bad advice man. I'm glad you are trying to help, but you need to read a little more before answering questions like this.

The W7 has always been more of a SQL sub for the installs I've seen it in. It is a very nice sub, but I wouldn't call it strictly sound quality. Why are you even comparing an L7 to it? The JL's build quality is 1000x better anyday. And in car audio, you get what you pay for.

quote:

What im understanding from you is that u want lots of bass, sq is not meant for that, its meant to hit every single note.

You can have lots of bass that does hit every note. It's 80% install, and 20% equipment. In fact, at USACI shows, your SQ install has to hit as least 130db on the TL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2682
nickky boy ...

i will say this .. ive dealt with manyyyy solobarics in my day

used to sell them at the shop i worked at ..

and i will say this ... those subs while being very good budget spl woofers and daily street beaters arent built like a dd/rd/dc/aq woofer ... obviously

mass producing drivers ... that would take forever ... kickers marketing is the exact oppostie quanity over quality... while still retaining a solid customer base with an above average product

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8412
Above avergage product? They have one of the highest failure rates in the business.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2216
Hey Mikey lol
I'm not calling them a horrible sub. But they are not so much budget..

Lets look at retail prices here (ebay prices aside)

Kicker 15" Solo-Baric L7 = $549

Now, a few brands you compared it to that has a better build quality:

Digital Designs 3515 = $400-$450

RD Alpha v2 15" = $559.00 (of course, that is MSRP and you can call a dealer and get it alot cheaper)

DC doesn't have any of their prices listed.

AQ HDC315 = $249
AQ HDC315-A = $330

Now, the subs I listed go used on Ebay all the time. And recones are extremely cheap. They also compare to the L7 as far as power and use of install go.

Great subs that have a lower retail price than the L7, with recones available at all times...OR....The L7 itself.

Anyone ever talked to anyone that is big in the kicker corporation? The owners of most of the the companys I listed are members of this forum, and many other car audio forums.

It's your choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2683
not gonna disagree with you at all M.S ...

but take a look at the thousands people who are satisfied with their solos .. and the competitors that put up serious numbers with the l7/solo x ...

nick i agree with u there bud i really do ... my shop sold them for 3-400 any they sold like wildfire .. local customers who just want loud .. are the main buyers for this sub ... i know for a fact they paid my bills lol .. but all in all .. i would say they are an above average woofer ... having seen soo many happy customers with these woofers .. regardless of the 10-20 people that have come back with issues ...there is no way i could classify these subs in a negative manner

and ur right about the big audio companies .. no one knows who runs them and thats that the way anything is thats mass produced ... no one knows who runs the sharp aquos division ... just the way of the world

Gold Member

Post Number: 2217
Alot of the locals just think kicker is the best stuff ever. The shops around here make a killing off selling kicker and memphis to everyone that walks through the door lol.

They are above average in SPL. The advantage in cone area is something that no one can disagree with for single sub setups. Of course, I could get two 12" subs for the price of one 15" solobaric and put them on the same power, and have more cone area.

Yeah, that's just the way the world works sometimes

Beer for everyone involved in the debate

Gold Member

Post Number: 2684
my old shop owner has 4 04 l7 8s hes gonna sell me for a 100 bucks ..

should be pretty loud in my winter beater :-)

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1991
o snaps just saw this thread.

Am I the only one who didn't know L7s were God!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Does God put out 200 deebeez?

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1061
ok this thread is going no wear! SO F.CK the l7 then ok ive herd to many BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM. anyways. ok so no i dont want an spl setup cuz of one of u saying its meant to hit one high not ethat peaks. no i want my system to sound good on mostly lows and some highs. i mean young jeezy isn't his lows on hi ssongs like 38-45hz? ok i love his lows on his music thats not to low but stil i want something that will at least get low enough to feel and yes i want some highs im not asking for the best dam sql setup i know there is one for at least 600 bucks. a single 15 or 2 twelves. dont care just something that if i build a good ported box its going to get louddd and sound decent.ok i have a budget. 300 for the sub or subs.there has to be something in my range that will do good. and nick young jeexy sounds low but isn't his music again only 30 something to 40 hertz?i want something that sounds good with those songs and maybe get a little lower for some songs.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6503
mach5 ixl.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 300
despite wat people say about the L7's i stand by it, and i will be competing sept 21 for both spl and SQ, so for all the haters i will post my marks. with my current setup im hitting insain lows, whole car flex's. I will be competing against few of my buddies. they have type r's, Treo's, DD's and premier spl series.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
yep i will still sell it michael

just let me know

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131
i do have a box but i am not sure if i want to sell it right now

Username: Canyoufeelthebase

PittsburghUS

Post Number: 1
I dont know what u talking about that kicker in right box is good for anything
Even though they are overrated and too expensive

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18195
I can't help but giggle when anyone puts DD in the same zip code with a Kicker L anything. Not hatin', it's just a different world here in the underground.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2231

quote:

despite wat people say about the L7's i stand by it, and i will be competing sept 21 for both spl and SQ,

How do you compete in SPL and SQ with the same setup? I'd love to see your "marks" and exactly who is the competition in the SQ department?

quote:

I dont know what u talking about that kicker in right box is good for anything

Lol. I see why most of the regulars stopped posting.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 10309
"DC doesn't have any of their prices listed. "

When I exchanged emails with Rusty, I got prices on the Level 4's and they were about the price of the HDC3s I believe....but prices could have gone up cause this was like 8 months ago lol.

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1063
no i just wanted to know if the kicker boxes were good. and ok daniel ill let u know when i want it witch is soon. butt i need to know how to make pay pal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1135
you can go to the site www.paypal.com

or send check/money order

whatever is easiest for you

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1064
ok so i could send u a check in an envelope in the mail?how long does it usually take to get to someone?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5544
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
for work i send checks from michigan to south carolina and it usually takes about 3 days

just a regular 42 cent stamp

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1065
ok but if i sent a check can i put it on hold til you send the sub then ok it? or because of safety u want it to be cashed b4 u send it? i just dont want to be ripped off.. not that u would

Gold Member

Post Number: 1142
i would prefer having the check clear prior to sending it out

i have dealt with

BCS ,Polo,Chad Lee,Daniel Cournier

i sent andrew capps an amp this week

do you have any refs?

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1068
ok that's fine since you dealt with them i heard good things. and no i been here allot but never bought or sold anything . i will wait till it clears then u can send it its cool. but give me a week or 2 . if not u don't want to wait and sum1 else wasn't it that's fine i don't want u to wait.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1150
i can hold it for you

Gold Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 1071
ok sweet!!!! im excited. and i heard this l7 i hooke dup to my blaupunkt amp only supposed to do 500 at2 ohms but i have it wired to 1 ohm load and it was clearer than my 3 jl wo's .... and somewhat louder on certain songs its ported in the kicker box. the jl's are sealed . but the kicker only hit better lower notes and sucked on highs the jl's suck in lows prooly cuz of sealed and hit really high highs.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 301
Well, i just got back from the IASCA comp. I got 1st place in my class, what do you know about that haha. and at the db drag i got 3rd cause they kinda paired me up unevenly, o well im stoked.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4313
Yesterday,
A wall of 4-15" L7's ported. a 148 or something.
2-FI 10"s 149.2

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8461
Wow that wall had to of been a terrible install lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1159
^thats what i was thinking

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1995
Marc, do you happen to remember what hz that was at? JW.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 302
buddy up in kamloops hit 151.3 with 2 kicker L7 15's in a huge box. so the guys with the 4 15's probly had a bad run or messed up his setup.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4314
not sure what hertz.
This was the Kicker car.

And a few other pics.

Upload

Upload

These bikes were so insane, turbo & N02 'Busa's

Upload

And those crazy Brazillian's with those crazy horn set ups.
This one did like 132 on horns.

Upload

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2001
Sweet pics mark! I'm intreuged by that kicker amp setup, wonder what ohm they're running them at?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us