How do you tune a box for 2 subs?

Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 1
i know how to tune a box for just one sub, ive biult a nice single 12" box tuned at 33 hz for my re audio mx 12. but when it comes to tuning a box for 2 subs that share the same port i dont know what to do or what fq to tune it at. i find 33 hz to low i want something thats gonna have a little more spl. anyone know how to tune thsi kinda box and what i should tune it at?

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 373
Do you want a slot port or aero ports?

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 2
slot ported

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Just double the volume that you would use for 1 sub.

try tuning to like 36-38 hz. That should give you a mostly spl oriented sql box. 36 is for lower notes 38 would be for more spl. Any tuning in that range should make a nice loud daily driver.

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 3
haha yeah i use this to cal tuning, it works great. ok so instead of using 2 cf, i should make it 4. tune to about 36, i still wanna keep a little sq. thanks alot iam gonna go make a design there now

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
Alright have fun!

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Post Number: 2607
you're putting 2 MX's in it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
yeah i didnt see what sub you're using... You may want to reconsider the volume.

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 5
yeah 2 mx's , i dont really know how big to biuld it..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2608
on the RE site it says 4cuft is optimal @ 34hz. i would do 6-9cuft, depending on what you can fit, at 34hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10438
Make sure you have enough port area as well.

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 6
well i have a 02 cavalier, space is a big issue. the mx's are 12's to btw. i seen what they can do on youtube and mine arent doin anything like it, i know its the box cause i have a good amp and power supply. how should i build my box?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2609
i forgot they're 12's. well anywhere from 4-5cuft should work fine then. says to be ported at 33hz.

how should you build your box? i don't know how to answer past that other than 4-5cuft ported @ 33hz... subs and port facing rear

if you want a little more spl the absolute highest i would go is 36hz

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10439
What are your usable dimensions for a box?

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 7
height 13-14.5" , has to be 35" wide, and the depth can be 21 max but i would have to take off my trunk lid to fit it in, 18" depth fits without takin the trunk lid off. i want something thats gonna be really loud and impress people, pretty much i want the loudest bad a** system in town, but i woudnt mind keepin a little q at he same time :P. would 36 hz do this for me puncher?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2610
well just sketch something up that you can fit in and see how big it is. i would recommend using a double baffle, maybe a little internal bracing.

if you can push ~3kw to the pair then i'd say you have a good shot at having something louder than most people around you. like i said, 36hz max, 35hz might work a little better for them though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10440
Your going to have 3.67 cubic feet before subs and port using the measurements 11.5 high 33.5 wide 16.5 deep internal. And 4.34 cubic feet before the subs and port using the measurements 11.5 high 33.5 wide 19.5 deep internal.

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 8
think i could could use 5/8 wood and do some bracing and prolly the double baffle?, i think ill get more space if i do it like this

Gold Member

Post Number: 2611
don't bother using 5/8. won't give you much more space and is very prone to flexing. do you actually have the 2nd MX yet?

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 9
yepp

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 10
this is what ive come up with so far

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

if the numbers are change i put in 35,14,19,19,0.75,3.75, and 0

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10441
Your port area isnt near enough. If your going with a slot port you will need about 82 square total using one port for two of your subs.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 11
so ill end up having a port thats about 12.5 by 6.5 in the middle of my box? thats a pretty big port. and if i do this its prolly gonna be hard to tune the port to 36 hz, the port lenght will be to long, would i then split it into each a chamber? iam just trying to biuld the best box possable, its seeming pretty hard though

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10443
The point I was making is 82 square inches of port is what you should have total for a slot port but you dont have the room. How much power are you going to be running? Because one thing you could do is run two four inch aero ports in a 3.00 cubic foot box after port and subs but you might be on the borderline port area wise with those subs. The ports would only need to be 15.5 inches long each and you would have a 36 hz port tune. Re recommends 1.5 cubic feet per sub in the compact enclosure at 35 hz so thats close.

Build a box 12.5 high x 28 wide x 18.00 deep internal measurements you will have 3.64 cubic feet gross.

port displacement .22
subwoofer displacement I have no idea but will say .40 for both subs
3.02 cubic feet net

You will have to put the ports on the side of the box one over the other spaced apart. And you wont want to change the box width because youll need room for the ports to breathe. The subs have a 10.25 mounting depth so make sure the ports are a good distance from the subs. Also the subs overall is 13 inches each so make sure you plan carefully. Heres the link to the aero ports.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=268-352

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1236
Sounds like a candidate for polyfil...

couldn't hurt..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10444
He could do that if he wants more airspace but it wont help add another aero port because they are only 17 inches long.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 12
i can make a box with dim of 12.5 33.5 17.5 airspace, that gives 4.241 cf. now the ports can go in the front on the box with the subs. i cant figure out anyway to get enough port area and space, what would happen if i was short on port area, say 3/4 or 1/2?

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 13
iam running a rockford fosgate T2000bd, i think it was birthed at 2650 rms at 1 ohm. iam lookin at ordering those aero ports. the box would be 28 wide so the sub would just fit tight together on the front. then the aero ports would have to go on a side, either side i dont think it matters. the ports have to be on top of each other right to the back of the side? the ports spread apart by an inch or 2? and the ports gotta be 15.5" long each? i guess this is the only thing i can do. what if i used polyfill in the box, since i already have 4 pounds of it laying around?

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 14
also i was looking at buying this box

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-DUAL-12-SUBWOOFER-VENTED-PORTED-ENCLOSURE-SUB-BOX-U_W0QQi temZ130253482582QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50566QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i dont think its the best enclosure but my buddy got one with 2 12" sx's in it and a kicker zx1500 running them, and it sounds nice and hits really hard, port area is new to me so i dont know much about it but iam reading up on it and it seems really important, so would this box be any good?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us