Battery Isolator

Bronze Member
Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 97
I have a Kinetik 16v batt and a kinetik 800 batt with a 140 amp alt. I was told i would need an isolator to be able to have my kinetik batt perform at 16v. Is this true? and is what i need called a battery isolator? and how would i wire it up?

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Laziness and ignorance...

Post Number: 1285
Do you have anything to charge the 16v batt? aka another alternator set to charge a 16v system? If you don't you will just end up draining the 16v.

Now what you can do is run the 16v at 12v since the kinetik has the dual posts to allow you to run either 12v or 16v.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
no i do not have another alt unfortunately but i was looking into another HO alt at 200 amps since i didnt think 140 was enough so if i got the 200 HO alt and hooked it up with the 140 alt would that work to charge it up to 16v?

and if i did run the 16v at 12v along with the Kinetik 800 with only my 140 alt until i got another HO alt would my system kill my batts if i have about 2650 watts RMS??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1286
I'm not quite sure what you're saying.
In order to run a 16v charging system you will need an additional alt(besides the one that runs the car's electonics and charges @ ~14.4v) You will need another alt bracket to house the alternator that will charge the 16v system. Then you can use the 800 for the 12v system and the hc16v for the 16v system.
Polo on this forum runs a similar system to what i have described.
You might want to learn more about this subject before you go installing and possibly messing this up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Ok i understand i'll need a second alt to power up the Kinetik hc16v to 16v. Would a 140 amp alt hooked together with a 200 amp HO alt do the job on charging the Kinetik hc16v up to 16v? And do i even need a battery isolator?

My system is too big for just one kinetik hc16v so thats why i have a kinetik 800 batt to hook up to the hc16v to help it out with the necessary power.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1018
why do you want to run a 16 volt system?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Because thats what i was told from one of the stereo shops in town was a better way to go than hooking up 3 batts together, but at the time i didn't know i couldn't run the batt at 16v without some adjustments and i went ahead and purchased the batt. now i'm stuck with the batt so i figured why not figure out how to wire it up and make the best of it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1289
You get more power that way and it is a little more efficient.
Hunter you won't be able to hook the hc800 up to the hc16v if you are using it at 16v. Now with the alts you can't "hook them together" like you are saying. You have to remember you still neeed an alternator to charge the normal car battery and the car electronics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Oh i didn't know you couldn't hook up the 800 and the hc16v together if running the hc16v at 16V. well that defeats the purpouse of getting the two batteries!

Then is it still possible to run my system just off the hc16v? I am running about 2650 watts RMS.
and i can keep the 12V batt i have under the hood currently to power all the other necessary electronics?

I have a '71 chevelle so there isnt much on the fancy side of car electronics like the newer cars.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1290
here's what you can do
Use the hc800 under the hood as you starting battery. then get an externally regulated alternator and set it to charge a 16v system.
So you will have the stock alternator charging the hc800 and the additional alt charging the hc16v and other car electronics.
Then you will use just the 16v batt for the amplifiers.
BTW what amplifiers are you runniing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Ok the HC800 has enough cold cranking amps to turn over a 454? just wondering.
What is an externally regulated alternator?
and how would i hook it up to the engine and 16v batt?
I am running a zapco AG650 and a Kicker ZX2500.1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us