Need help deciding! Want to upgrade my system

Username: Cadillacmatt

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. I need a little help deciding what setup to upgrade to... I currently have two 12" Sony Xplods in a sealed box running off a 325.1 mono block RF amp.

I want a setup that's going to be loud but also have good sound quality. The subs I have been looking at are the Fi Qs, either 12" or 15" (I'm leaning toward the 15" because I like low, deep bass). Another decision I've been struggling with is sealed vs. ported... in my experience sealed hits tighter but I know it's dependent on the installation too...

any comments or suggestion? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Mofogger

Post Number: 17
you will be happy with the Q.

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 78
sounds like u want to put a bit of money into your system now ...get a QUALITY AMP not just the first amp that says 3000 watts kinds thing. fi Q's are great subs and even at 18" they will hit a good amount of tones

"in my experience sealed hits tighter but I know it's dependent on the installation too..."

you wanna get a bit ported box not only because it will make your set up hit ahell of alot fuccin louder, it will make your car flex more,piss more people off and that means putting a smile on your face lol

all i can say is good sub and get one for the best deal possible if thats what u want to do there are also alot of alternate subs that are simmelar, build your own box! getsomeone from this site to tell u how tohow to build the best box for your vehical and what not even continue onto this forum with amp advice... get the sub before the amp so you know what the amps power has to be at which ohms :-)

thanks

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help, I tried to get some help on caraudio.com forums but they're not very kind to newbs over there .

I'm leaning towards two 15's, and I've been recommended the brand Audioque for amps, but I'm keeping my options open for now... it'll be a few months before I get everything together but I want to have a game plan ahead of time, and not just impulsively buy the first thing I see.

Now my next question is, they offer these subs in Dual 1 ohm and Dual 2 ohm configs... now I'm an idiot when it comes to figuring resistance and such, which would be a better bet? I mean, if I get the subs before the amp and such. Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
this is what i would do.

i would get the dual 2ohm subs and a 1ohm stable amp that can be strapped. that way later if i decide to get another sub, i can get the same amp and bridge it.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18042
"you wanna get a bit ported box not only because it will make your set up hit ahell of alot fuccin louder, it will make your car flex more,piss more people off and that means putting a smile on your face lol"

Why is it trendy to enjoy being hated?

Bikers with bored out pipes give motorcyclists a bad name. Pissing ppl off at red lights does the same thing to car audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
lol my dad called me to his car today and he had 2 box's bass worx duel slot port with some sh*t subs and a big sealed box bassworx with 2 sony xplode, also 4 ga. wire a bassworx farad cap, 2 stinger 1 farad caps, 2 sony xplode amps and poineer 6x9's and 51/4s :-) lol so fucckin random!

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 3
"i would get the dual 2ohm subs and a 1ohm stable amp that can be strapped"

What do you mean by strapped?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1198
"it will make your car flex more"

Not a good thing Bruce..... People spend a lot of time and money to get rid of flex..
get 2- 4 ohm DVC 15's
and an 1 ohm stable amp(with matching rms wattage).
wire the subs in parallel and let 'em pound..

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 4
Mark - assuming I have two 1000wRMS subs, would you recommend I get an amp that puts out 1000wRMS (assuming its a mono block) or should I spring for one that puts double that (2000wRMS) because it's running two subs?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6484
2000wrms amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1202
you would want the 2000 wrms(stable at what ever your subs final ohm impendence) mono amp.
ex. 2-1000 wrms subs-4 ohm dvc wired to 1 ohm / 2000 watt rms amp @ 1 ohm (must be 1 ohm stable amp)
2-1000 wrms subs- 2 ohm DVC wired to .5 ohm/ 2000 wrms amp at .5 ohm (rare- must be .5 ohm stable)
or wired to 2 ohm/ 2000wrms amp at 2 ohm (can be 1 or 2 ohm stable)

hope this helps

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 5
Ok cool... the whole resistance and electricity subject really baffles me, I know it's just simple math but I really get confused by it all... so if this particular sub says it is a DVC 2 Ohm, that means it has two voice coils with 2 ohm impedence? So that means if you bridge the two coils, it's like having a 4 ohm sub (total 2 ohm load on the amp in parallel?)... if you run just one voice coil per sub the amp sees the sub as having 2ohm resistance (total of 1 ohm load on the amp in parallel?)

Sorry if I'm a little confused! thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1211
yes, each v.c. is 2 ohms. How you wire them together determines the ohm load of that one sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
man im not going to lie i fuccking love the flex haha

prob cuz im a punkass kid with a annoying car...i got songs that make my hatch flex better then others u can bet when i have to stop at a light they get put on....last weekend i was coming back from a trip and my buddy and i were making videos on how fast people would close there windows pull ahead more and so on...:-)

its only 2 12's still flex;s the whole hatch/well miorrors get fucked my windsheild leaks if its raining my windows grind somehow not sure its loud tho like a buzzing/moving back and forth 3/4 of an inch but i just fucckin love when people see your vehical shake apart :D especially how when theres some random dude infront of you they says his balls are rattleing yelling threw the third window or w/e it is on a trucks rear window i donno

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 6
Alright guys thanks a bunch for the help! Have a few more Q's though

Someone recommended me an amp, an Audioque 2200D mono block which puts out 1300wRMS into 2 ohms, and 2200wRMS into 1 ohm.

So if I wired both subs to 4 ohms parallel, a total of 2 ohm load on the amp, both subs would be getting 1300W right? Since the Fi Qs are only 1000W subs, would I have to dial down the amp's gain a bit to avoid over-driving them?

Thanks again for the help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
ok heres the thing matt..

subs have rms so u know whats good for em. Competing and stuff you just want to get asmuch power as possible to make the cone move faster causing more presure. FI Q's are said to be 1000 rms i have watched people put 1400 rms to them all day(basically from videos) they take the power easy if u dont have them yet get the BP OPTION for amps i would say if your running two of them maybe a kicker zx2500.1 thats 2500 rms at 2 ohms and it should have a birth sheet saying it has aybe 26xx-27xx rms true power at 2 ohms. That way u can have your bass(on deck) turned down for daily driving unless you like to bug the sh*t outta people like me. ORRR up to really hit the numbers but i would seariously go with that amp and for making your box all i can say is use as much space as you are able to in your ride atleast 7-8 cubes for the 2 subs did you decide on the size of them?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4226
First of all Matt. Do you even have the electrical to handle a 2200rms amplifier? If not, maybe you should stick to something with less power. Such as a kicker zx1500.1? Do you even have the room to fit a ported box if you choose to go this direction? What car do you have? Whats your budget? Stock electrical?

And Matt, read the following websites. They help alot.

http://bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm Learn about series and parallel.

www.bcae1.com covers a wide range of information. If you want to know something, most likely it'll be there.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1474
At 2 ohms they would only be getting 650 rms each from that amp. Why not get two dual 4 ohm subs and run them at 1 ohm on that AQ amp. Depending on your charging system, that is what I would do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
if you buy a optuma yellow top battery or kinetic 2400hc + battery xtra to what you have you should be good for electrical

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1013
hey matt, don't ever listen to bruce.

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 7
lol. Ok guys -

bruce - I'm thinking about the Fi Q 15's, almost for sure a ported box... on the Fi website here's what it recommends for enclosures:

Sealed box: 2-2.6 cuft
Ported box: 2.8-4 cuft @ 28-33Hz

My highs are sittin' pretty nice right now, I'm running a 300wRMS Infinity 4-channel amp to two Kenwood 5 1/4" 2-Ways & two tweets in the front, and two RF Punch 6 1/2" in the back, right now the bass really can't keep up... so at the very least I'd get an amp with Remote Bass Control so I could have a comfortable volume for daily driving and then maybe crank it up for whatnot...

BerryMac - I'm not entirely sure what my car will handle in terms of electrical load... I'm putting this system together in pieces so if worse came to worse I could put a HO alternator in... as of right now I'm running an Optima Red Top battery that's about it. I have plenty of space in my trunk (it's a Cadillac) so I'm not to woried about that. My budget with everything would end up being $1200 give or take... $300~ each for the Fi Qs with BP Power, $400 for amp, $100-200ish for box, $60 for 1/0gauge wiring. And thanks for the websites I will definately go check those out!

Mark (to both of you lol) - With DVC subs is it possible to wire just one VC up, (in other words if I have two voice coils at 2 ohms each, and I wanted to get a 1 ohm total load on the amp could I just wire one VC per sub?) Or if I wired each subs coils in parallel this would make the resistance of each sub 1 ohm, both subs run in parallel for a 1 ohm load on the amp?? Cuz otherwise each VC could be wired in series to present a 4 ohm load per sub for a total of 2 ohms. God I'm confused. *smacks self in forehead*

*EDIT* n/m I got it figured out, I read one of the pages BerryMac posted about speaker impedances... it looks like I'm either working with .5ohm or 2ohm here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
it said somewhere 2 subs ASZHOLES lol

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4227
"*EDIT* n/m I got it figured out, I read one of the pages BerryMac posted about speaker impedances... it looks like I'm either working with .5ohm or 2ohm here."

Correct, thats if you decide to run 2 dvc 2ohm subwoofers running them in series and then parallel will give you 2 ohms. Or you can get dvc 1ohm's and then them in series and then parallel for a 1ohm load. Get 2 dvc 4ohm, if they make it in dvc4, and run them in parallel and parallel for 1ohm.

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 8
"if you decide to run 2 dvc 2ohm subwoofers running them in series and then parallel will give you 2 ohms"

So am I correct in assuming that when I have a total load of two ohms on the amp, and the amp is rated for 1300wRMS at 2 ohms, then both speakers are being juiced with 1300wRMS?

Also, if the amp is 1 ohm stable, would it be a better idea to get the DVC 1 ohm subs? I mean, pretty much that means they can do more with less power right? (They only make it in DVC 1 & DVC 2 ohms)

Thank you all again you're all great help

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1199
FI is a great company and the Q is an awsome sub if your gonna go over 1200 rms youll really need to step up your alt size otherwise youll kill your electrical extra bats only masks the prob by giving you a few seconds more of play time save up and get a high output alt

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1025
If you want your final load to be 1 ohm for two subs you would need to get dual 1 coils.

and no you should never just wire up one coil if it is a dvc sub

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1174
"If you want your final load to be 1 ohm for two subs you would need to get dual 1 coils"

True BUT you can also get 2 dual4ohm

and x2 on not listening to bruce...

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 9
Basically I'm wondering if my amp is 1 ohm stable, what difference would it make in volume/SQ etc. if I got the 2 ohm DVC or 1 ohm DVC? in other words 2 ohm load vs 1 ohm... would they get twice the power?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
get 2 dual 2ohm fi Q with 2 rd audio 1000.1. the 2 rd audio 1000.1 can be strapped.

strapped is when you bridge 2 amps together.

that way if you decided to just go with one, you can do that too.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1185
i would definately look at a bigger amp than the 325.1 if your looking at a Q.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1039
no the ohm load doesn't affect the sound at all, its just different wiring options.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1188
why strap the amps when there are plenty of amps that put out 2krms at 1ohm? dont make this any harder than it needs to be. more amps = more wires to run and purchase. can your electrical handle 2krms anyways?

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 10
the amp I wanted to get was an AQ 2200D, a mono block amp that puts out 1300wRMS into 2 ohms, and 2200wRMS into 1 ohm. It is a 1 ohm stable amp.

If I got the 1 ohm DVCs (they only come in 1 and 2 ohms) I could wire them down to 1 ohm total load and get max power out of them right (2200w)? As opposed to the 2DVCs wired to 2 ohms getting 1300W.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1191
yes if you get TWO 1dvc subs then they can be wired to 1ohm final. and that AQ2200d is a great choice for an amp. HOWEVER, do you have the charging system for that amount of power?

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 11
I would most likely have to spring for a HO Alternator or keep the power turned down until I do. I have an Optima Red Top right now that's about it. Unless I go 1300W then I shouldn't have TOO much of a problem.

The subs are 1000RMS but with the BP Power option adds 500-600W, so 2200W might be overkill. I'm not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6494
you'll be fine giving a pair 2200wrms. before they even offered the bp option people were giving them more than 1000w with no problems at all, as long as your smart with it you'll be fine.

and if you can't afford the upgrades now, your best off just getting one sub and the amp and running it at 2ohm. then when you upgrade your charging you can buy another sub and run them at 1ohm.

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 12
Ok cool. I'm gonna put this monster together over the course of about two months, buying one piece every two weeks (payday).

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1026
"True BUT you can also get 2 dual4ohm"

true BUT he was talking about the Q and it only comes in d1 and d2

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1483
You would be one of those ignorant azzles that try to get on peoples nerves at the light until I drown you out. Have some damned decency. Every time someone finds out I'm into car audio they automatically think of the idiot blaring his terrible music at traffic lights.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us