OT- lowering a car

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 791
is there any way i can lower my 97 honda accord se sedan without roughing up the ride.. or what is the best way to lower it to keep the ride as smooth as possible

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2180
The only way you are gonna do it without roughing up the ride is cutting the stock springs. I HIGHLY do not recommend this.
You will get what is called a "ricer bounce" which basically means your car will bounce like it was at stock height, causing it to drag allot. This is why after market springs are allot stiffer. They won't bounce the car as much.

Also it is unsafe. Your stock springs aren't meant to be cut.

You might need to do some research on which after market springs have the best ride along with the lowering height you want.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1198
only way to do it without loss of comfort is buyin a lowering kit that has new coils, shocks, control arms (if needed), spindels, ect. if you do a flip kit with blocks (if its leaf springs i have no idea), it will give you a hard uncomfortable ride. also after you drop it get it alligned asap so you dont ruin your tires

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22194
get yourself some tein SS coilovers. you can slam your car and adjust the dampering too. it should cost you around a grand so the price ain't that bad.

i have the basic tein basic damper. it just lowers it. i don't have control over the stiffness though. will be changing soon.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5444
as long as you don't buy a cheap coil-over setup your ride won't be sacrificed

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22195
thinking of getting a set of k-sport coil-overs. it will slam my car a bit more than what it is now. mine is almost at its lowest and i feel i can go a bit lower. lol. a set of k sport will cost me about 1200 though.

if you don't want to spend too much and get good quality coil overs, then get tein basic. the one i have. you can get it for about 800 bux.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2183
I wish I could lower my car :-(

Roads and driveways are too bad here. I drag at stock height lol. It sucks.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17992
Funny talk about lowering cars. When I had my 1988 Iroc I had to raise it so I wouldn't bottom out so much on speed bumps and such. I had spring spreaders installed for that. New shocks too.

You guys spend the $$ to do what I paid to un-do lol.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5445
chad.. im getting a set of k-sports.. only $475 though haha

paul the prob with older cars is they had things that hung down low.. the new cars have everything tucked up and are mostly flat on the bottom so lowering causes less issues.. but there will always be that speed bump too tall or driveway too steep lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22197
gotta get used to going up driveways and go over speed bumps side ways. i finally found the right angle to approach the driveway up to the parking structure at work. my car sits pretty low but i want lower. :-)

kev, i don't know where you find these insane deals man. hahaha. first the dls and now k sport. lol. not to mention all your alpine sh!t hahaha. soon i will get the alpine double din with that processor.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22201
i want to be this low.

Upload

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5448
chad, be a forum troll :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3165
chad, that is look like sh1t low, like we talked about. don't do it.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4219
"is there any way i can lower my 97 honda accord se sedan without roughing up the ride.. or what is the best way to lower it to keep the ride as smooth as possible"

I recommend that when you have a question related to something else besides car audio, you join another forum such as v6performance.net or honda-tech.com. You'll get the best answers there. IMO, just keep it simple. 2" drop springs would be good. I wouldn't do coilovers on a car that you have no desire in using for performance, racing, tracking etc. Theres a large variety of companies, but I say stick to lowering springs and aftermarket shocks like koni, kyb's etc. Go to honda-tech and search their forums.

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 792
koo thanks guys... i don't really want to lower the back i don't have much of a problem with that.. tire is about 1.5" way from the fender. but on the front its like 5 inches and i'd like to lower that just a bit... i'll check that out berny thanks.. do you still have your massive 3000s?? i got one a lil after you got yours and mine blew like 2 months later.. i wasn't even bumpin loud it just poped and smoked

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4220
I sold mines and they are in circulation lol. 2002xlt and sx450 or so bought them and are trying to resell it. I never had a problem with mines. Pictures of your car? Kind of odd for it to be 1.5" rear and 5" front. Maybe your shocks blew out or something.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8656
"Maybe your shocks blew out or something."

That probably wouldn't be the problem. Shocks do not control ride height, springs do. Anytime you lower a car you're going to feel it because a stiffer suspension lets you feel more of the road shock and when you lower your car you SHOULD have stiffer springs. Sometimes pot-holes swallow up my car and at times I've smacked or scraped my exhaust header and it sucks.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22202
check out this forum D.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Gold Member

Post Number: 2184
First, Chad leaves us for that forum. Now he is sending everyone else there too.

Oh the madness!

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1024
my exhaust scrapes almost daily on my trans am especially at the end of the headers where there is only inches between it and the ground...there a very few speed bumps i can go over with out taking a hit...some bumps i just look at and park my car and walk because im seriously afraid its going to get stuck one of these times

this is the second car i have lowered and i will never do it again for a daily driver

but hey it looks nice how it sits :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2186
I'm with you there goodie.
At stock height, I still have to enter everything at an angle and I still drag sometimes or barely clear. The driveways are just too bad here.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8304
Blazer FTW...... I can get under it without a jack even

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 55
my cuzin has a 180sx lowered with body kit and sh*t it is about 3 inchs off the ground i do not reccomend it lol if anything get smaller tires his cars str8 pipe sparks on everything!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
and accords r slow other then the new ones and i havent bean beat by one of them yet even :-) my car is a 240sx basically stock with 290km without rebuild hahha

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8661
Bruce, 240Sxs are so slow. My buddy was just telling me how he killed one with his Oldsmobile Cutlass as if the 240 was standing still. Also, my buddy Josh has one and before he put an RBDETT26 into it it was mad slow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
your buddy cant fuukin drive to tell u the truth and neither can most people that think they have quick cars

my cuzins 180sx has a sr20 motor str8 pipe ecuupgraded turbo and he also almost spins out droping it into 5'th at 80 mp/h wanna hear something funny... a 180 sx beating a 2008 foose mustang,srt charger, subaru sti's, mercadies amg 500sls, any twin turbo rx7 the only thing he cant beat is a couple of his buddys supras and one other 180sx with over 500 hp and w8 reducted.

my buddy has a 98 accord st8 piped cold air polished heads and i donno what else automatic 22x hp and i can eat it.... i dont know maybe i cant drive or something not sure

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8662
"and accords r slow other then the new ones and i havent bean beat by one of them yet even :-) my car is a 240sx basically stock with 290km without rebuild hahha"

"your buddy cant fuukin drive to tell u the truth and neither can most people that think they have quick cars

my cuzins 180sx has a sr20 motor str8 pipe ecuupgraded turbo and he "

Okay...what does your cousin's car have to do with your "basically stock" 240?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22207
bruce i hope the accords you beat were 4cyl cause the v6's will eat that 240 for breakfast.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5450
Shifting into 5th at 80mph? I don't shift into 5th until 140mph

If your cousin is ever around my area and wants to throw down cash on a race I'll put up my Subaru agaisnt it :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3167
lol I go 80mph in 3rd :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
i donno the equiv but 1st 75 km/h 2nd 90 km/h 3rd 138km/h 4th 197 km/h and i dont no top speed cuz my meter runs out at 200km/h but thats like 4300 or so rpm and i have had it to 6400 rpm so no idea thats with 160 lbs of stereo and s couple passengers

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5451
thats only 125mph..

your likely losing your pull by then and the car will fall flat and gain no more

lets see some video/pictures :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us