Using a DMM to set gains...

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1157
ive heard from a few different people that using a DMM to set your gains is sort of flawed and that setting them to your ear is better...

anyone care to comment?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6683
Watch my vids about it on Youtube.
Search "CANAANWHITE"

Gold Member

Post Number: 6684
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkWY1e68P8

Read the info and watch.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1158
great info and video man. so if its not the right way to set it, then why do most people tell you to do it this way? is it just a common misconception(sp)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6685
Because so many people don't realize that the load the amps 'sees' will change ALOT depending on freq.

If you set the gains at 60hz (as I did in the vid) and play songs w/ low notes...you can get some clipping. Maybe not horrible clipping, but if you throw Bass Boost into mix you WILL have some bad clipping.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1159
so is it a bad idea mainly for sub amps? or is it the same when seting your speaker amp?

im just trying to make sure that i get the most out of my speakers without blowing them.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2485
so what do u exactly do then?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10379
If this is a concern using a dmm it seems to me that the safest bet is to set the gain voltage at a volume higher than you intend to use them. Then you wont be clipping.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1595
interesting....

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1160
isnt it state prop? lol

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1596
lol now it makes me chuckle thinking back when ppl always asking me if i used a dmm to set the gain?? haha...some ppl probably just said it because everyone else says it. lmao

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10385
To me using a dmm is better than setting the amp by ear. At least with the dmm you know where your at. By ear is totally up to what the person thinks is distortion and we all know how bad that can get not to mention how far off you could be from your target voltage even setting it by ear. Lets do a test. Set your amp gain by ear to where you think it should be and then test it with a dmm. Let us know the results. Also not to bust on Canaan but keep in mind setting an amp gain at 60 hz isnt the recommended hz 50 is and id expect things would be better but not without some risk still setting it at that frequency. As a matter of fact from what ive seen setting a amp gain with a dmm if you set your gain at 50 hz with a dmm it will be where it should be but if you test frequencies below that the voltage will read higher as was evidenced in Canaans video using a o scope. So it seems to me if you want to be double sure you are setting your amp gain safely for daily use with a dmm you would set it at the lowest frequency your subwoofer would be set up to play. Then the voltage will decrease the higher up the frequency scale you go.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8303
DMM is the best way....... way better than the people who think they they can actually can hear when clipping starts in low frequencies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us