Best 150$ range 12" or 15" driver

Bronze Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 81
I'm looking for a 12" driver to use in my existing box to replace my current Audiobahn AW1200Q. I have no qualms with the current woofer, just looking for something bigger and better.

The box is a 2.0cf ported enclosure tuned to 37hz. If there are no good alternatives in this price range (for added SPL), then I'm considering a 15" with a new enclosure.

I'll have about 400w RMS going to this. Please let me know your suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1974
What amp do you have?

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 83
It's an Audiobahn A8002T 800x1 RMS (inflated specs of course, I'd guess about half that in reality) if bridged at 4 ohms.

A new amp may be a possibility in the future, but not anytime soon.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1556
aq sdc 2.5 or dc lv2 or 3

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1587
kicker cvx.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 84
Any links on the AQ sdc 2.5 / dc lv2?

A Google search did not turn up anything. I'm not familiar with some of the lesser known models.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1588
www.audioque.com and i dont know about dc lv2.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 355
Alpine Type-R's... and if it isnt loud enough for you with your amp the 12's can handle quite a bit over 500rms... or you could go with the 15".

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1022
dcsoundlab.com

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10337
Dont go with the audioque 2.5 it only comes in dual 4 ohms. The audioque sd 2 comes in single 4 ohm and even though your amp puts out 800 setting it to 400 with a digital multimeter would work with your box.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 85
What about the RE SX-12-D2? Any other woofers that are comparable in SPL to this, at the ~230$ price range? Would it work well with lower amplifier power (400W RMS?) Thanks everyone for all the help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10344
Your amp has two 30 amp fuses and if you take off 40% for efficiency losses because its a class ab amp thats 518 watts rms. So you dont have the power to run a re sx 12 correctly. Plus your box you have currently isnt tuned right to take advantage of the re sub the way it was meant to be used.

Bronze Member
Username: Grayalien

Post Number: 12
x2 on the type r

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10377
As long as the build quality on the type r hasnt gone down hill like I heard the type r 12 could also be a good choice. But make sure to get the dual 2 ohm if you do buy it.

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 25
my buddy has 2 12" type r's on i cant remember 600-800 rms (alpine v12) and it hits im guessing 143 or so thats also pre fab box and all stock electrical

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
I got 2 of the new type-r's at 35hz and the are destroying my ears

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2267
just stating i know the specs are there for a reason ,but i've ran a 15" RE SX on 300 watts rms if that in a sealed enclosure. It sounded good for a daily install for someone who isn't into SPL comps just saying.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10392
I understand where your coming from but for the price I think he would expect more. Ive found under powering in a spec enclosure produces much less spl than they are capable of. Case in point my image dynamics idq 12 (rated 350 rms) at 150 watts rms was 2 db less loud in the ideal sealed enclosure than my entry level resonant engineering re 12 was on the same 150 watts. But when I gave the image dynamics 350 rms it was 2 db louder than the re. That was a full 4 db increase.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 86
Well this is one of those, "do it once" things. Since I have limited room for sub and enclosure (only 1 12" will fit) I want to go all-out on the woofer, within reason (250$ or so).

If I have to upgrade the amp down the line, fine. I just don't want to upgrade sub, then amp, then wish I'd gotten a beefier sub.

There are already two Diamond Audio 8's behind the rear seat with their own amp that are going to remain untouched.

Judging by how loud the system is with the current POS audiobahn woofer, I believe the potential is there for decent SPL.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10393
Well just so you know it looks like you have a 90 amp alternator and some is used for basic electrical needs. And im sure youll want an amp for your highs. Switching to a class d amp for your sub will gain you a little more power because its more efficient but not tons. At best it would put you at near 700 watts using an amp that uses 60 amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Thought you said you wanted a $150 sub? thats why I suggested the type-r. I have heard good things about audioque subs. If you spent $250 on one of those Im sure it would pound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us