Box size for 2 12" cvrs?

Bronze Member
Username: Leapoldstotch

Post Number: 82
How big should i make the box? as in can someone get me some dimentions?? and how big should the ports be? and tuned to what? AND how do i tune it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
anyone know?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10339
Make a box 26 wide x 13.5 high x 21 deep (all internal measurements 4.26 cubic feet gross). And make the port 13.5 wide x 2.75 high x 17 deep (.44 displacement 3.82 cubic feet). and aprox. .32 cubic feet displacemnt for the subs gives you 3.50 cubic feet and a 35 hz port tune. This design is a sub up port back design. What vehicle is this going in?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
hmm so the subs would be faceing the top of my trunk? and the port would be facing the front of my car? and its going into a mazda 6.

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 54
sean as much as i think thats a nice box kicker reccemends a box that looks big must most of the area is port lol the box they come in origionallyt is like 2.2-2.5 cubes rest is port for over a cube ft i donno i tried one of my cvr's b4 i sold them in a bassworks box with a small slot port wasnt a big box just over a cube ft after u take of the area of the port and speaker it pounded off my memphis prd 1000 at 4 ohms (300rms) i bet it was over 140 db

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10406
Bruce kickers website recommended 1.75 to 2.25 cubic feet for his subs I believe and the port tune was in the low 40's I think. Way too high. Seth I just took a guess hoping you didnt have a trunk car but since you do Ill work up another design if you can tell me the dimensions we have to work with. And dont forget we have to get through the trunk opening.

"hmm so the subs would be faceing the top of my trunk? and the port would be facing the front of my car?"

The original box would have been subs up port back meaning the port facing toward the tail lights but that is just so you understand the placement.

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 58
they arnt able to go low i got buddys with 12's and 15's and i have owned tens they bottom the voice coils they pound with songs with high 40's tho

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10410
You had a prefab box. Most prefab boxes tune them around the 40's minimum. If thats the case thats why your subs sounded bad low.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Thanks for all the help guys, i just bought a new amp thats feeding 300rms to each sub but my box is a ported box with the ports fucked up. So the port is sealed. I bought it like that so i wanna fix it... my trunk is about 25in tall, 50 inches wide. The opening is about 19in. If u could make me a box that did 140 db lol that would be amazing. Since my box is really sh*tty would a good box make THAT big of a difference?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10421
It is possible to hit 140 with two cvr 12's on that power ported. Ill work on a box for you.

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 796
i had a pair of cvrs and i got em to POUND in an accord.. i think it was a 142 db drag style... i really think you should go with this box. great sq and gets loud.. 32 wide. 14.5 tall. 16 deep.(external) port should be 2 wide. 13 tall and 13 deep... i've also had typers in that box and they pounded as well.. i now have 2 12" 2xls in that box and its still amazing.. it does good for spl but of course i use different boxes for compition. but for a daily driver its great and compact

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10422
Make two boxes 17 wide x 13.0 high x 21 deep (internal measurements) = 2.68 cf gross with a port 13 high x 1.75 wide 15.75 deep and that will give you a 36 hz port tune

2.68 gross
minus .28 port displacement (2.40)
And well say .10 for sub displacement (2.30) since .16 was probably too much for each sub. Put the port on front far side of each box along with the subwoofer but make sure to space them far enough apart from each other.

Double check you vehicles measurements to make sure the box design will fit. (for external measurements add 1.5 inches to height depth and width as well as a little more for carpet on the box. Your actually going to need more than 19 to fit it in without a problem)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10423
"i really think you should go with this box. great sq and gets loud.. 32 wide. 14.5 tall. 16 deep.(external)"

He cant fit a box wider than 19.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
i ment the opening is 19 inches tallx50 inches wide.
so if i had a box that was 49 inchest wide, 20 inches tall, anc 20 inches deep i wouldnt be bale to fit it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
two boxes? i was thinking about a box with the port right in the middle. These boxes are hard to imagine without actual diagrams of them. How would an external port work? the easiest box i could think of is just a big rectangle with a port right in the middle. And the 2 walls on the port would support the box. Think that would work well?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10428
I didnt realize thats what you were saying. Go with a box 34 wide 13.5 high 18.75 deep. 4.98 cubic feet gross and make the port 13.5 high x 2.5 wide x 9.5 deep and you have a 36 hz port tune. Yeah a port in the center would work.

.27 port displacement
aprox. .20 displacement for both of the subwoofers
4.51 cubic feet net

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
ok, so is it as simple as just cutting 6 pieces of wood and glueing and screwing them togeather? plus 2 more pieces of wood for the port?

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18058
In most cases yeah. Use clamps and lots of glue. Predrill all your holes and don't rush. Before you secure the last side take some time to caulk all inside joints for a nice tight seal. It's not rocket science but some experienced box builders can create some fantastic designs that can blow your mind. Carpet has always been my fav as a box covering but that is only my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
hmm so the port is just going to be straight down the middle of the box? its not going to turn both ways? like a T inside of the box. Does it matter? And im just going to use the top and bottom of the box as the top and bottom of the port, is that fine too?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10430
"hmm so the port is just going to be straight down the middle of the box?"

Yes no turns. Its better for spl that way as well.

"And im just going to use the top and bottom of the box as the top and bottom of the port, is that fine too?"

Yes that is fine.

Also remember that the box measurements 34 wide 13.5 high 18.75 deep are internal measurements.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
so should i add .75in to all of thoes measurements? Assuming im going to use 3/4 mdf?
Also if im correct ill need about 20 square feet of wood? 18.8 to be exact.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10446
"so should i add .75in to all of thoes measurements?"

You need to add 1.5 inches to all those measurements using 3/4 mdf. And use 3/4 mdf.

"Also if im correct ill need about 20 square feet of wood? 18.8 to be exact."

You will have to buy a 4 x 8 foot sheet anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us