I need a capacitor

Bronze Member
Username: Killer832nasty

Westfield, Massachusetts United States

Post Number: 30
Im running a 1000 watt kenwood KAC-8103D

Looking for something cheap but will last a while..

Im going to be running a 15 inch audioque 2.5 for the time being, just sick of my headlights dimming right now from my Polk DB12's

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1616
A cap may or may not help you dimming issue. A 500w rms amp shouldn't have much of an effect on your electrical system at anything but full volume. I would start with a wire upgrade from you alternator output to your battery (+). An 8 ga wire should be sufficient. It may also be helpful to run one from the battery (-) to the chassis.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Well i have the amp turned almost all the way up. But ill try those two things out and see what happens. I would think my system would benefit from a capacitor anyways?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2612
No. You do not need a cap. It will do more harm than good. It just adds another load to the alternator. Using 8gauge wire for "the big 3" is pointless. Use at least 4gauge. I would suggest just to upgrade your battery's ground to chassis, with at least 4gauge. If you have the extra wire, go ahead and do the rest of "the big 3" as well. It's very simple and you should see some improvement.

Here's a pic:http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p173/stavenmist/big3.jpg

This link should help:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8335
0 gauge is preferred for an HO alt. 4 gauge min.

And the cap wouldn't hurt anything but it won't do any good either.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 786
your amp should not be turned all the way up... gain is not a volume knob......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Gain isnt all the way up. Bass boost is almost all the way up... gains only set about quarter way up

Im not sure about how to set it up but it gets loud thats all i know.

And why wouldnt a cap do any good if most people say it does. I mean my battery has never died, its just annoying as hell when the bass hits and my lights dim..

I plan on getting a 4 channel amp in the next few months and running all new speakers ect.

Username: Klutch

Post Number: 5
if ur lights weren't dimming before you put the system in then it would be the amp taking power away from the battery. hense the dimming. i had the same prob. lights were fine before i put my system in. then i had slight dimming in my dome light and dashboard and radio lights. i just got a capcitor yesterday to fix the problem and now the dimming is gone. so if thats the case where ur lights were fine before the system then i would a get capacitor. and you would need at least a 2 farad capacitor for your situation. its recomended that 1 farad is needed for every 500 watts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Thats what i should probably do pretty soon then.. What brand makes a 2 farad capacitor.. can i wire two single farads together.. or just go with a 5 farad or so?

Username: Klutch

Post Number: 10
yes you can wire two 1 farads together but you will just be spending more money as opposed to getting a single two farad. i got the tsunami 2 farad capacitor at circuit city near me. here is the link

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Tsunami-2-Farad-Capacitor-PP1002TM-CAP/sem/ rpsm/oid/91341/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Although a capacitor is good to keep everything in touch in general you should prob upgrade your "big 3" wire like the others said. im gunna do that eventually. because other reason why the dimming lights is because your amp is trying to draw alot of power from the battery but it can't supply all of it because of the small wire running through "the big 3" that small wire can't supply all of that power from the battery so upgrading to a larger wire (which i suggest 2 gauge or even 0 gauge if u plan on going bigger in the future) so that the battery is getting the power it needs. the smaller the wire the less the power able to travel. the bigger the wire the more power able to travel through. (i like to make it clear and easy for people to understand)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Ohh damn, well thats what i figured maybe even getting a 5 farad one offa ebay because i cant really go out and spend 200 bucks on something like that. I mean im sure nothing will break in the meantime. Thanks for the info though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us