Best iPod Touch compatible head unit (in-dash stereo)??

Bronze Member
Username: Colonelcack

Post Number: 16
Hello,

I'm getting a new stereo for my car soon and was wondering what the best head units are to control the iPod Touch? I know there is a very limited number of devices that work with it, so please share your personal experiences...

What is the best new headunit to control the iPod Touch that has the best user interface and ease of use? And HD radio ready would be nice too...

I think these two will work with my iPod...which of these would you go with?

Pioneer Premiere DEH-P600UB - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/ Premier/DEH-P600UB

Alpine CDA-9884 - http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=500CDA9884&tp=5684

Silver Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 128
I played with alpines ida series all of them(001/100/200/300) at a local audio shop for over an hour and loved them only thing that really sucked is no cd slot but your not looking for one any way. post a budgetfor better info and Keith is the Hu guy to talk to I'm just puting out my 0.02$

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
No real budget...but I don't want anything too crazy though, I don't need bluetooth.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I guess I would like a cd slot, but It's not required if the unit can support the iPod Touch and a usb memory stick simultaniously.

I'm mainly looking for something with a really nice and easy (but not necessarily less advanced) user interface with a remote, and the best possible audio quality.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1440
i really don't see what makes a ipos touch incapable of being used if connected by standard serial/bus connection or even aux. pretty much any high end pioneer can do what your looking for. for high sound quality you want a premiere seriers by pioneer or a higher end alpine. ipod touch should work just like any other ipod when wired to a ipod ready radio. the only ones it would conflict with is dvd headunits. i ran into some Dual dvd units not liking the first gen video or 2nd gen video nanos. if you run into any problem you could go the aux in route, it would plug in the headphone jack and go from there to the unit. as far as usb goes let me make this very very vlear. usb units are meant for thumb drives only thier not meant to run a portable hd without a external power source and even then it's a "if" the headunit will recognize all the data stored. typically the usb will only put out 1.5 vots or 3.5 i'm tired atm and about to sleep so i forget off hand but anyway. a pc can do that voltage and adjust amperage for the device in order to support it. a headunit has no power supply dedicated to do this so typically it puts out a standard voltage and only simple usb drives support that. i have heard alot of ppl trying to use western digital harddrives but having no luck do to them being single usb and having no a/c jack. they just can't power the drives. back to the ipod if you do by a unit thats not able to use it you can by a harmon kardon, drive/play kit. i did this for the extra display and control ease but u should check compatibility at thier site first. ether way pretty much highend headunits in pioneer, alpine, clarion can do all these functions as long as thier the usb models. in the end it all depends on ur demands from the unit. you will have to saccrafise a little bit of sq prob for usb but its up to you. the bst advice i can give is , 1. shop around read all the details before you buy. 2. for sq nuts hit up chad lee and make a post in subwoofers section titled "Sq headunits" most of the guys trolling that section have tried more of the headunits ur after first hand and can give more opinions than i ever could. 3. checkout onlinecarstereo.com for headunits the free shippings great and prices are very nice.

lastly i think the mentioned cd slot is refering to a flip down hadunit rather then a cd u can put right in the front which has a "slot". also if u don't want any cd player google a company called hidden audio. they make units that can be hid anywhere in the car and do prob most of what you want. but Sq idk never heard a unit.

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Alpine ida-x001/2 dd 2..., Woodlawn Por... USA

Post Number: 1968
i would have to say the alpine ida-x001 i own a touch and tht headunit works great

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 222
I just bought a Pioneer Premiere F90bt, it is a 6.5" screen double din. dvd, bluetooth, nav, complete ipod interface, and tons more. msrp at pioneer's website says 1100, but I got mine for around 800. Maybe that is a little more than what your wanting, but maybe check out the Pioneer F700bt, probably can get for 500 if your looking for double din. If your wanting single din, and cd isnt a matter...I suggest Alpine ida-X001; I have looked into those and were my choice if I didn't get the F90bt instead.

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Alpine ida-x001/2 dd 2..., Woodlawn Por... USA

Post Number: 1972
And mines still in the forsale section for cheap (alpine idax001)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us