I want somthing better

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1364
im looking for somthing better than my twin 12 inch sx setup.

i am running 2200 rms and a 5 net cubic foot box tuned to ~32 hz

i am looking to get 2 12's that will be louder and sound better off of the same amplification.

i dont mind having to build a new box but i would prefer a simple driver swap.

budget isint really an issue but ill limit it to 2000 for the pair.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1109
well if you get some other subs, you might have to go ahead and build another box. why not step your game up and get 2 15s, that off the same power will be louder. just kinda depends on what sound you want really and if you have enough room for the 15s

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1944
With a $2000 budget, I'd go bigger, meaning more power! I think trying to find something that would be louder off 2200w would be tough without sacrificing SQ if staying with the same sub size.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1365
damn cuz i dont have room for 15's. possibly a triple 12" setup?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1366
o and i cant do more power because i already have a 200 amp H/O and my headlights still practically go out with my current amps.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10232
You could always try a design by Pete from team toxic bass using your current subwoofers and amp. Are the lights getting dim just at idle or while driving down the road too?

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1111
well u can move up in power if you move to a more efficient amp like RD. im pretty sure you could run a 3250.1 on a 200 amp alt and kevin is having is bit RD amp sale. idk just a thought hah.

but a triple 12 set up would be good. are you looking to add another SX or would u wanna still do different subs? what about 3 12" Sonances? im pretty sure they would murder on ~2200rms

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1946
I wonder how a Revo would stack against an SX output wise? Hopefully someone can comment that has heard both.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1115
maybe chadlee is needed for this thread...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1367
my headlights dimm while at idle and while driving. some songs at full tilt the subwoofer amp goes into protect, for low voltage i think.

sometimes you can hear the subs bottoming out, even on notes that are definitely above tuning. not sure if this is due to clipping or simply to much power but just before you can hear it bottom out it sounds clean. i think it could be because my box is slightly larger than reccomended.

just some info that may be helpful

i really dont want a new amp. i love my amp.

how would i wire up a 3 sub setup to get 1 ohm?

what about 4 or 5 10's sealed

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2276
Who built your alt and what kind of battery bank? If you are having those kind of issues with a 200 amp alt, something is wrong on only 2200 rms. What amp as well? What kind of car?

IMO, 4 10 inch Sonance would be straight ear sex.

Kevin

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1368
mcr built the alt and im running a 550 amp battery. american bass xd 2000 amp. chrysler 300m.

will they work with my amp well?

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3782
2 critical mass ul12's

end of thread.

tck

Bronze Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 16
dude if u got 2000 for a new set of subs get 2 tc 3k's get anouther amp and like maybe 2 kinetic batteries or one gooood one i donno u should have more then enough with 2 grand dude and for size and what not you should beable to fit 15's if u can get 12's try different positions for them? facing up and what not just an idea

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1141
how about one 18 maybe a fi q fully loaded

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1117
you cant get 3 subs to wire at 1 ohm. however kevin shouted out the 4 10" sonances... i would have to agree with that or do the 3 12" sonances. either way it will sound amazing while still getting plenty loud.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 959
Mark, when your ready to go crazy I'll do my 4 15's AND Memphis 4kw for $2k. Theres not much hope for me being allowed to actually hook it up in the truck, so I'm going to have to unload them .

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1143
said he doesnt have room for 2 15s so doubt he can do 4......

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 961
Oh, sorry bout that, didn't bother to read the entire thread as I cannot read quick lol.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1123
and Memphis 4kw FTL!!!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1369
im prob gonna try 4 10's sealed or ported or 4 12's sealed what do you thin would be louder? i kinda wanna go 4 12's sealed and get some kappa perfects agian. but i dont know if it will be louder than my current setup espichally in the lowend

either that or just swap out my sx's for some q's

i suppose i could fit a single 18 but it would have to be mounted flat and i could not point the driver into the vehicle. same for 15's except i dont think i have enough trunk space all together for 2 15's without going into fiber glass

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10234
That alot of money just to get you louder and sound better when you already have a good set of subs. I would suggest as I did above you give Pete from team toxic bass a try. He charges like $60 for a design. He will know how to get you louder with what you already own and youll sound better.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1370
yea i probably should do that so i can build the design when i am on break.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 777
It would be best served to beef up your electrical system, and build a new box. Just throwing out sub woofer model names does not help you at all.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1371
it says on the web site that the dont do designs anymore.

Silver Member

Post Number: 778
Check out fishercustoms.com.

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingzaudio

A - TOWN - WEST-END, GA USA

Post Number: 79
If you want to spend two stacks try focal.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1373
how about an 18" xxx sealed? or a 15" xxx ported?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10236
"it says on the web site that the dont do designs anymore."

That stinks he used to. He did this before and went back to designing them again.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2404
Sean Pete does some sick azz work.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10241
So ive heard. I also thought about getting a design from him but doesnt look like that will happen now.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1374
i may actually have room for a ported 18 or 2 15's , i can possibly come up with 13 gross cubic feet (including the exterior of the box) but it will be tough. is it even worth trying or am i pretty much maxed out with my power limitations.

o btw i think i figured my electrical problem i was looking at how another guy did the big three and it showed on his pictures a small flat stranded wire that goes from the engine block to another peice of metal (I think that might be the "Ground").

i have my alt grounded to the engine block but i think i need to move it directly to that other metal peice, could that be the problem why my voltage drops so low or is my alternator just simply not large enough?

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 996
what size wire is your big 3?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1947
Are you still running that zx700.5? Thats probably where part of your current is going if so.

Do those xd2000's do rated power? I noticed their only 160a fused.

Fishercustoms only charges $15 for a design iirc, definitely worth it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
It could be a mixture of a number of things, including that. And with out being there at your vehicle with a DMM, no one can tell you for sure. I still suggest strongly saving some money and try a new box after you get the electrical issue fixed and upgraded.

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 37
pete still does designs people. i don't where you heard he doesn't. if anyone wants i can give out his PH number so you can call him and ask for a design. or checkout his forum a lot of smart people over there that don't try and sell their product in every thread.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1375
0 gauge on the big three

i ditched the zx a while ago because i was just wasting that 5th sub channel. i am now running a sound magus cp91 its rated for 110x4 rms

yea i guess i could try a new box but what should i try. is fisher going to design me a box too be loud in my specific vehicle? i tried facing my box backwards into the trunk but it is louder forwards. port and subs into cabin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
fisher makes nice boxes for a good price but i don't think he design them himself. pete designs the box to get what you want from it he takes into account cabin gain and cabin geometry to get the best out of every design.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1376
so he can determine if forward or reverse will be louder in my vehicle and where the port and how large the port should be?

building the box i not an issue for me i have already build several enclosures and am a pretty good craftsman.

sorry for the confusion everyone i was looking on the team toxic bass website for the box plans. i didnt realize pete had his own site

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
yep he takes everything into account on designing a box. hit him up on his forum youll learn a lot compared to here.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1377
yea thats the route im gonna go then thanks a lot guys.

just out of curiosity's, since i plan on having my sx's till they blow would it be ok to simply swap them out for q's in the future and simply drop then into my existing enclosure or are the parameters of the woofers to different.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1949
That box will work with the Q's, but I'm not sure if it would be ideal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
"out for q's in the future and simply drop then into my existing enclosure or are the parameters of the woofers to different." depends on th box if its a quasi 8th order BP then no probally not a good idea but if its a regular ported then it would probally work out. if you do have pete design your box just ask him and see what he says.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5406
Qs would not get louder than those SXs.. you have a 300M .. you can fit 15"s if you build the box right

I'd up to a bigger size.. or if it is a height issue drop in two more SX 12"s and double your power.. Ever consider a new box.. tuning higher towards 35hz? Not many songs peak on lower notes.. mostly in the high 30s through mids 40s

We've run a SS 6500D on two SX 12"s with no issues.. box might be a tad big if they are bottoming out.. either or your port area is too large not creating enough backpressure

What are the exact box specs? Everyone I've known to run the SX has never said they were not loud enough.. Sound quality wise.. run 4 SE 12"s :-) ... SEs really wang and sound great.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1378
the external dimensions of the box are 13.5x32x30 the net internal volume is 5 cubic feet. the port is 4.875x12 (58.5 in^2) not sure on the length i would measure if i had my car with me at school, but it tunes to 32 hz i beleive.

so even by running that much more power, by putting them in a slightly smaller enclosure they shouldnt bottom out?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5407
is that a slot port? 4.875 x 12? if so you never said how long it was

btw.. 13.5x32x30 = 6.036 net volume using 3/4" mdf .. can't calculate for port because you did not specify more details on it

seems too large though.. also is the sub-sonic filter set correctly?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1379
yea its a slot port. i dont remember how long it is exactly but the inside wall might be something like 22". i remember it was supposed to tune to 32 hz though.

the dimensions i gave you include the port. that is the total external size of the box.

the subsonic is set to around 30 hz judging by its position its in. not sure how to know for sure.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1380
actually in gonna go ahead and make that a confirmation on the 22 inch port length because by my calculations i get almost exactly 5 cubes accounting or bracing.

also i have a double front baffel

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5408
try turning the subsonic filter higher and see if that fixed the problem

i'd still suggest building the box 4^3ft after displacement tuned to 35hz

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1383
will that make it louder? i thought that bigger boxes generally meant more output?

my main problem here is lack of output i do not care so much as that my subs are bottoming out but that they are doing so and not producing enough output.

the bottoming out also occurs on some notes that definitely are not below my port tuning so im pretty sure the subsonic is not the issue.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5409
your box is simply tuned to low if you just want output.. like i said before more songs peak on higher notes.. retune to 40hz and drop the size down to 4^3ft after displacement of subs/port

you can throw more power.. 2200rms on 2 SXs is nothing

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1384
so ive heard. before i bought tmy sx's i heard claims of them taking 1300 rms daily.

i really dont want to lower the tuning that is only going to make the subs bottom out more isint it? plus i like the way my system handles the really low notes they just make everything in the car go crazy. will the tuning really give me that muhc of an appreciable difference in output. i think if anything i would be able to notice the reduction in lowend bass over the increase in the other frequencies.

dont get my wrong my system is extremely loud i would guess around 130 db but i feel i should be able to get more out of this setup. you would think my system would destroy a pair of sealed 200 watt pioneer subs but my friends system can kind of keep up. it makes my ears hurt almost as much as my system does.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10250
From what I thought I read others say about this type of driver I dont think they produce much output wise much above 50 hz. If thats correct moving your tuning up to 40 hz will improve the output some if your box needs help around that range. Which with your vehicle id guess it does naturally well in the low hz range but if you really want more of an idea what to do id still suggest Pete from team toxic bass I believe the guy has a degree in acoustic engineering.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1385
im supposed to be getting a call from him some time to talk to him about sh1t.

i have somr 8" mid bass drivers that i could uses to pick up from 50hz. but i can only give them 90 watts a piece since my amp wont do 2 ohms bridged. would that be a good i deal or no.

would i be able to run my 6x9's off of my HU since i would be stealing the amp to them for the midbass drivers.

i know i should just get rid of the 6x9's all together but i like for people in the back to be able to hear the midrange a little bit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10252
Just wait and talk to Pete and go from there.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5412
Didn't mean to say 40hz.. meant 35hz lol.. but i did have my two SX 15"s at 40hz and it was very musical still

For some reason from what your saying.. something cannot be hooked up right. If your friends pioneers have the same output.

Whats the VC config on the subs.. what ohm load is it wired to?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1386
dual 4 ohm coils.

my amp is seeing a 1 ohm load.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10263
Its vehicle acoustics from what I can tell.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5414
do your seats fold down? if not i'd suggest venting the rear deck

i still don't understand how your lacking output.. if all else fails go bigger or go home

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1387
yea my seats do fold down and i have to subs and port facing in and they are sealed off with towels around the box to keep the bass in the cabin.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10287
Did you get to talk to Pete?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1388
no he hasnt called me yet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10289
Oh ok I think hes going to have the solution but id get that electrical issue straight too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1389
yea ill check it out when i go home next weekend

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1390
pete still hasnt called me

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1975
Out of curiosity, have you ever ran the subs facing the trunk?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10338
If Pete has a phone number listed give him a call.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1391
yea i rn the suba facing back. they sounded good but not as loud
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us